Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Dermoid Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Dermoid Cyst

I have a dermoid cyst on my left ovary. It is being taken out this december with a laparoscopy cystectomy.

My cyst is quite large and, since it is a dermoid cyst, it is partly solid. It is very painful.

My question is... do any of you who have large cysts or large dermoid cysts have problems with going to the bathroom? Any stomach pain or problems? I have a lot of pain down there in my intestines as well and I'm not sure if it's because I have the cyst and it's pushing my guts to the side or if I have something else as well. My doctor thinks I have IBS.
Oh I'd like to add that While I have a dermoid cyst on my left ovary I keep getting pain on my right side. I keep being told it's mirrored pain and it's not really from my right ovary but my left. I had a second sonogram to check out my right ovary and they said they saw nothing but I keep getting pain on my right ovary, aside from the usual pain on my left.

I just got a sharp stinging pain on my right ovary. I'm honestly scared because I want to have at least one healthy ovary.

My doctor said they are operating with the intention of only removing the cyst, but they don't really know if my ovary is compromised yet. They might have to remove my whole left ovary. I honestly don't want that, but I rather be pain free.

If you have had an ovary removed, how hard is it to get pregnant? I don't want to get pregnant now, but I plan to when I'm a bit older.
Hi, I used to have a large cyst on my ovary. It was quite painful when going to the bathroom, and I had to start taking stool softeners to help things move along. I was also scared of "pushing" in fear of popping the cyst, so a softener may help you, but talk to your doctor first. When I had a cyst on my left side, I felt it only on my right side, and was determined that it was my right ovary having issues, and not my left. It truly is the strangest thing. I lost my left ovary over a year ago, after the cyst burst and damaged too much of my ovary. Even with one ovary it still is possible to become pregnant--the remaining ovary takes over and produces an egg every month instead of alternating as it once did, and will continue to produce estrogen. You can always talk with your doctor about the function of your other ovary, if you end up requiring an oophorectomy. Best of luck, I hope things go well for you. Let us know how you are doing!
Thank you. My doctor suggested taking birth control before the surgery. I only realized recently I'll be on my period when I have my surgery..
I was told it was irrelevant if I had my period or not on the day of surgery and that I had to stop taking birth control to reduce the risk of strokes.

My cyst actually made my bowel movement more regular and softer, but it may have been due to the size of it. If your cyst is large it will push things around and may affect your bowel movement - for better or worse. Stool softners may work for you.

Good luck, I hope they can save your ovary.
Thank you for the info. I'm trying to lay off the ibuprofen but birth control is probably not a good idea. Thanks!