Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cyst - solid appearing mural nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hello, just picked up my ultrasound results.   I have been having lower left abdominal pain for about 2 months now.  We figured it was some type of cyst and my ob wanted to get an idea of what kind and how big the cyst is.  I am looking over this report and one thing that stuck out was the wording "mural nodule".  Just wondering if this particular type of cyst can indicate cancer or something else bad  ?  Here is the wording on the report:

Each of the ovaries contains a dominant cyst measuring approx 2cm.  The ovaries contain a number of smaller follicular cysts.  The dominant left ovarian cyst contains an approx 6-7 mm solid appearing mural nodule.

I am a 35 year old female with a history of cysts, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids.  I have a hysterectomy in 07 and only have my ovaries left.
A mural nodule means there are solid components in your cyst and it is suspicious.  Many women have benign results but it is important to have it looked at.  Do ask your doctor about having a gyn/onc on call to do a frozen section while you are in surgery and who can then be involved should it prove necessary.  This doesn't mean you have cancer but you need to be sure all is handled right if per chance it is.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
Thank you!  I see my Dr Tuesday to go over the results and finalize a plan.  My surgery is scheduled for August 21st.  There will be 2 surgeons present, a general surgeon and gyn surgeon because they are removing my gall bladder, and taking care of the ovarian cyst problem at the same time.
Wow you also have gallbladder problems?:( I'm sorry to hear all this and I will pray for you that the surgery goes well.you take care of yourself!i'm sure this is really nothing compared to going through a hysterectomy already.how was it going through that at such a young age? ttyl :) take care   MollyLynn