Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cyst and found endometriosis - what is the best treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi all, would you please help me to answer my question as I am new to this forum. I have been diagnosed by ovarian cyst on right ovary, it was 7cm in diameter on 20 June as I suffered from sudden pain. At that time I was on holiday at my home. After getting opinions from two doctors I decided to go for laparoscopic removal as they indictated to do it very soon as I had this cyst for a long time and it was multilocolar on ultrasound and causing pain. I always had very very bad periods, in the last 6 months my tummy used to get swolen so I looked like 4months pregnant and cramps were really bad.So I had laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy performed on 25 Jun and it went quite well. Doctor removed my cyst but while operating he found also spread endometriosis with many adhesions which made my right ovary fixed on the wall of pelvis(apparently that was a reason for my strong pains) and my uterus was like in broken shape.My right ovary was partially saved- now I have about 30-40% of it, left one is completely fine. They managed to destruct main adhesions formed by endometriosis, however, some residuums are still left around my main artery and bladder. Doctor recommended to take injections Dipherelline 11.25 for 6 months to treat the rest of the endometriosis so it does not flare up so badly again. I dont know what stage of endo I had, but guess it was rather bad. The cyst was classified as Mucinous Cyst Adenoma. My post operation recovery is going reasonably well, but I still suffer from mild stingy, pulling pains in my tummy, it comes usually in the afternoon when I get tired, I am generally weak, lost 3kilograms and have got reduced appetite now. I cannot lift anything, feel sad and depressed, worried lots about my future health as they said both cyst and endo can come back.I have returned back to UK on Monday (16July) and today I managed to see my GP. She recommended different treatment: Desogestrel 75microgram tablets(Cerazette) as she thinks that Dipherelline is more agressive treatment and could cause me more problems. I am now confused what to do, I have never taken hormonal treatment before and obviously I am terribly worried what effects this will have: weight gain, acne, mood swings, bleeding.. From info available on internet, there are various options but not clear indication which one is the best as source for endo is not known. What would you advice? Also as I had to pay at home for the operation: it was done on clinic as I suffered from pain, would I be able to get at least partial reimbursement for this in UK? What shall I do? I am grateful for your advices as these forums are amazing source of info and helped me a lot through difficult time. Good luck to all who have got surgery ahead and wish you quick recovery time...