Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cyst in left ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cyst in left ovary

I'm going to try and make a long story short. In March I had a laparoscopic surgery to remove what I was told was an endometrioma, turned out it was actually a bartholin ovarian cyst which from my understanding wouldn't normally be removed and apparently it was very small. Of course I did not know this as I was under a lot of pain medication and my mom was making all the decisions.
Since the surgery I have had severe pain on and around my lower right ovary. Every once in a while I have a good few days of little or no pain. Most often it seems like I'm in pain and if I press down where my right ovary is located it causes a lot of pain as well as having intercourse. This has been going on since March when I had the surgery and yesterday the pain increased to the point where my pain medication wasn’t doing anything so I went to the ER. They had to give me 2 doses of morphine in order to take the pain away and from doing an ultra sound they found a large cyst in my right ovary. They said this could be causing pain from the cyst rubbing on surrounding tissue. I don’t think this cyst has been causing the pain dating back from the first surgery because I had an exploratory surgery in July 29th due to swollen lip nodes and severe pain on my right ovary and the surgeon checked my ovary during that surgery; apparently there was no cyst then but not sure of this.
So is it common for another cyst to occur within the ovary after having a cyst removed by laparoscopic surgery and please any feedback as of what to do from this point would be great. Keep in mind I’m only 23 and I by no means want to have anymore surgeries. Oh and one more thing am I the only one who feels like no doctor believes what I’m telling them and minimizes my pain to the point where I can’t get pain medication even though I’m suffering in pain.
I am so sorry you are having so much trouble with cysts. Yes, new ones can grow again after surgery to remove a cyst you had previously. My gyn/onc said that ovaries that were cystic before tend to become cystic again.  In my case...I had a cyst at age 17 that vanished after a short run on hormone/birth control pills. No further cyst problems until I was nearly 49. That is a long time to be cyst free. Doctors can be reluctant to prescribe pain medicines especially any with narcotics in them. These are closely monitored drugs and some doctors lose their licenses for prescribing them too readily. Advil (Ibuprofen) works great for cyst related pain. HOWEVER there is some evidence that Ibuprofen may be somewhat responsible for preventing ovulation follicles from breaking down properly...which causes them to become cysts!  Finally, some doctors are annoyingly dismissive of a woman's complaints about the pains we get from cysts. Sometimes a better gynecologist has to be found.