Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Ovarian cyst

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cyst

I am 71 years old, had an internal US 9 months ago that revealed a 2cm cyst on right ovary.  Had a repeat US after 3 months with no change.  A 3rd US 6 months later shows the cyst size to have increased "slightly".  My gyn is not concerned but should I be in view of my age? What are the chances it could be malignant?
I understand this is likely very concerning and worrisome.  If your ovarian cyst is simple and overall small, it is ok to have this watched and less likely to be malignant.  However, if you are having pain or if the cyst looks other than simple, or if it is slowly increasing in size over time, then often they are removed.  After menopause if a woman has an ovarian cyst, then it is often recommended she have both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed to be sure there is no cancer and to be sure this doesn't recur, but often this can be a minimally invasive, same day procedure.  Second opinions never hurt anyone and can be very helpful.  Good luck.  

Can you give us more details about your cyst like is it simple or complex?
Have you gone through menopause?

Simple cyst are the fluid filled cyst and complex has fluid and solid

95% of all ovarian cyst are bening so dont worry to much
But my advice is to ask for a 2 nd opinion maybe with a gyn/ onc
Because they know mOre about the diff. Type of cyst and if your worried about malignancy they can answe your questions better

Hope this helps
God bless you :)
Always remember that with God nothing is imPossible
I was not told if it was simple or complex, however if my gyn is not concerned, I hope it's simple.  In any case, I will have a second opinion soon when I have to switch docs because of medicare.  Thank you for your kind reply.
PS: Yes I have been through menopause, though I still have hot flashes once in a while.
Dear Dr. Coleman,

Thank you so much for your response.  Fortunately there is no pain. I will see my present GYN once more, in September, before I go on Medicare, at which point I'll have a better idea on the nature of this cyst and how to proceed from there.
Good luck to you.  It sounds like you have a great plan for following up and continuing to work with your gynecologist.