Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cysts and Enlarged Liver

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts and Enlarged Liver

My 18 year old granddaughter had her appendix removed about 3 weeks ago.  Since then she is still vomiting almost everyday, her stools have become almost black and she complains of pain on the lower right side (scale 1 to 5 she says its about a 4)  She says it is very painful to urinate or pass gas.  The surgeon ordered a CT scan fearing that she had a blocked bowel, but instead it came back showing that she had clumps of cysts on her ovaries and an enlarged liver.  We are contacting her ob/gyn tomorrow to get her in for an appointment ASAP.  Has anyone out there ever had this same issue come up??  Any info would be helpful.  She is scared that she won't be able to have children later.
Oh, I'm so sorry that she's going through all of that. I understand why she would be so worried, but plenty of women get cysts and go on to have healthy children. Even women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can conceive. Cysts are mostly benign, especially in young women. They rarely turn out to be cancerous and they can either be monitored for a few weeks to see if they can go away on their own or with the help of birth control pills (or other meds) or they can be surgically removed, depending on the size of the cystic mass. Don't worry too much about the cysts, they are common among women and like I said, almost never anything to worry about.  She should be able to have children. When she's ready for that, she can see her doctor to make sure everything is okay and prepare her body with the appropriate hormones (if she continues to have problems with cysts or PCOS). Good luck with everything.
I wouldn't be too worried about the cysts either. They are very common and she is young. Barring any other reason, she should be able to have children in the future. See what the gyn says. I would be more concerned about the enlarged liver. What did they say about that? Is she seeing a doctor for that too? I certainly hope so. Vomiting and black stools definitely has to be checked out. Good luck
Megan saw the gyn on Thursday.  He has ordered an ultra sound. The CT showed at least one cyst on each ovary about the size of a marble and another growth above her right ovary.  She is waiting for her new medical cards with her new gp's name so she can make an appointment about the enlarged liver.  She is still vomiting almost every day and complains of severe pain across her stomach and her lower right side.  The first test they did before her appendectomy last month was a pregnancy test and it was neg., then they did the first ct that showed the appendicitis and did the surgery the next day.