Ovarian cysts and constipation

I am 39 yrs old and we are done having children.  Two yrs, ago, I had an emergency uterine ablasion due to excessive menstral bleeding.  I have a history of ovarian cycts and have never had any removed.  They have all gone away by themselves, within 3-5 months.  Currently, I have a 4cm on my left ovary and my symptoms are far more intense with this one vs. those in the past.  I have gained approx. 5-7 pounds in the last few months and I can't stand how bloated my stomach is by the end of the day.  I am having ovary pain on both sides, constant headachs, pelvic pain during BM's and I am incredibly constipated and hungry ALL the time.  I am a runner and I teach pilates three hours a week.  I love to workout but I don't have any energy lately.  Is anyone else with ovarian cycts, feeling these same symptoms?  Is this normal?  Are these symptoms grounds to request surgical removal?
Those are similar to the symptoms I had with my cyst (it was 10 cm). I thought the constipation was due to my old age (57) :-)   And the fluid retention/bloating might be heart related. So I didn't pursue it. I just ate more fiber and watched my sodium intake. It wasn't until I went in for my pap that she discovered I had a cyst.

You mentioned that your previous cysts went away on their own in 3-5 months. How long have you had this 4 cm cyst? Typically doctors will mention surgical removal when the cysts are 5 cm or larger. Have you asked your doctor yet?
Hi Ireneo,

Thank you for your response.  I have had this 4cm cyst since July.  I made an appointment with my doctor today so I will see her on Friday 11/4.  I am hoping she will do another ultrasound to see if it has changed in size.  If it has increased in size and she is willing, I would like to have it removed.  I just want to feel normal again.

Did you end up having your 10cm cyst removed?  If so, how did it go?  Was it an easy recovery etc?
Hi gotcoffee...what type of cyst is yours? ls it fluid filled or fluid and solid (complex) ?
Oh yes, I had to have the cyst removed. With something that large there's a chance it will cause the ovary/tube to flip and twist, causing extreme pain and necrosis.

I was able to have mine removed laparoscopically. I'm not sure how she managed that one but I'm thankful. I was pretty sore for a couple of days but managed to go to the book store the day after surgery. I just browsed and it felt good to get out of the house. Within a week my bowels were back to normal (they tend to get sluggish after surgery) and there was just some tenderness and tugging in the abdominal area. An open ab surgery takes longer to recover.

I hope you'll let us know what you find out on Friday.
Hi!

It is fluid and solid, but it was an odd shape, like two touching one another (intertwined). I didn't pay that close of attention to it because I was thinking it would just go away like the others had. When I go back on Friday, I will definetly ask more questions and get more detail. This time my pain and symptoms are much more noticable and are increasing with time.  I will let you know what I find out on Friday.

Jodi
I hope you get some real answers on Friday, not just "maybe" and "might be." I'll check back with you then.

irene
I see that this is an old thread, but I am having this too; however I am 28 and my husband and I have been trying a long time to have kids. I have the thin, lesser common version of PCOS, so I am no newbie to cysts. The dr. recently gave me Clomid to help with our chances of pregnancy. I am the unlucky 10% of women who, with Clomid, will develope large cysts. Before knowing what was wrong, I went to a clinic for intense cramping in my pelvis through stomache and lower back with nausea, vomiting, constipation, severe urges to urinate, & immensely painful sex. Even externally tapping my stomach region with send me through fits of nausea, vomiting, and pain. The clinic couldn't help and told me to go to the ER or my OBGyn. My OBGyn scheduled an internal/vaginal ultrasound... But they couldnt fit me in for a week!! I already waited a week before seeking help, thinking it would go away or that over-the-counter medications would help things. Ultimately, I am VERY uncomfortable. Above and beyond the pain of the cyst, constipation is horrendous! I haven't been able to force a bowel movement for almost a week, despite laxatives & suppositories-granted, with feeling ill, my appetite has decreased drastically. Is it possible the cyst is pinching the rectum?? I'm at a loss for what to do here. Neither the clinic not my OBGyn gave me any answers/assistance for immediate relief. On top of all that, my stomach is bloated and full to the point that I look like I am carrying a 5month pregnancy- even my sides and up through my ribs are extended and so uncomfortable- not sure if this is the cyst or the resulting constipation, but I'm over it & want to know if anyone else out there has any ideas? Or has anyone else experienced these intense issues with ovarian cysts?  Anybody??