Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cysts and constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts and constipation

I am 39 yrs old and we are done having children.  Two yrs, ago, I had an emergency uterine ablasion due to excessive menstral bleeding.  I have a history of ovarian cycts and have never had any removed.  They have all gone away by themselves, within 3-5 months.  Currently, I have a 4cm on my left ovary and my symptoms are far more intense with this one vs. those in the past.  I have gained approx. 5-7 pounds in the last few months and I can't stand how bloated my stomach is by the end of the day.  I am having ovary pain on both sides, constant headachs, pelvic pain during BM's and I am incredibly constipated and hungry ALL the time.  I am a runner and I teach pilates three hours a week.  I love to workout but I don't have any energy lately.  Is anyone else with ovarian cycts, feeling these same symptoms?  Is this normal?  Are these symptoms grounds to request surgical removal?
Those are similar to the symptoms I had with my cyst (it was 10 cm). I thought the constipation was due to my old age (57) :-)   And the fluid retention/bloating might be heart related. So I didn't pursue it. I just ate more fiber and watched my sodium intake. It wasn't until I went in for my pap that she discovered I had a cyst.

You mentioned that your previous cysts went away on their own in 3-5 months. How long have you had this 4 cm cyst? Typically doctors will mention surgical removal when the cysts are 5 cm or larger. Have you asked your doctor yet?
Hi Ireneo,

Thank you for your response.  I have had this 4cm cyst since July.  I made an appointment with my doctor today so I will see her on Friday 11/4.  I am hoping she will do another ultrasound to see if it has changed in size.  If it has increased in size and she is willing, I would like to have it removed.  I just want to feel normal again.

Did you end up having your 10cm cyst removed?  If so, how did it go?  Was it an easy recovery etc?
Hi gotcoffee...what type of cyst is yours? ls it fluid filled or fluid and solid (complex) ?
Oh yes, I had to have the cyst removed. With something that large there's a chance it will cause the ovary/tube to flip and twist, causing extreme pain and necrosis.

I was able to have mine removed laparoscopically. I'm not sure how she managed that one but I'm thankful. I was pretty sore for a couple of days but managed to go to the book store the day after surgery. I just browsed and it felt good to get out of the house. Within a week my bowels were back to normal (they tend to get sluggish after surgery) and there was just some tenderness and tugging in the abdominal area. An open ab surgery takes longer to recover.

I hope you'll let us know what you find out on Friday.
Hi!

It is fluid and solid, but it was an odd shape, like two touching one another (intertwined). I didn't pay that close of attention to it because I was thinking it would just go away like the others had. When I go back on Friday, I will definetly ask more questions and get more detail. This time my pain and symptoms are much more noticable and are increasing with time.  I will let you know what I find out on Friday.

Jodi
I hope you get some real answers on Friday, not just "maybe" and "might be." I'll check back with you then.

irene