Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian cyst(s)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ovarian cyst(s)

Hi,
Can multiple cysts change to one cyst? Without having a period?

My period was late in December, maybe because I missed a couple Pills. I got it on December 9th, then two more times that month. Since I first started menstruating at 13, I always had irregular periods, usually not getting them for 3 months at a time. At 17 I had ruptured cysts and was put on birth control. I'm now 29, still on birth control.
I went to my doctor who sent me for an ultrasound and they confirmed cysts on my right ovary. They couldn't tell what type of cyst or give me much more info. She sent me for a second ultrasound a couple weeks later and they thought there were multiple cysts but again couldn't tell if they were complex or what. She referred me to her ob-gyn who gave me an ultrasound in office and offhandedly diagnosed me with polycystic ovaries based on his seeing multiple cysts on my right ovary, my history of irregular periods, and the ruptured cysts at 17. Thankfully I had been googling and knew what it was, as he didn't even give me the definition.

I started seeing an herbalist I was referred to by a friend. I'm of the mindset that many things can be solved through nutrition and "alternative" medicine, so I should get this out of the way. I used to jump to taking a pill for every little symptom, and I've done a 180 after making some big lifestyle changes. The herbalist gave me several mixtures to take, muscle tested all my supplements, checked foods, etc...she says my thyroid, liver, and lymph are not balanced.

I had a follow up appointment with the obgyn on Friday 3/9 and since I still hadn't gotten a period he sent me straight to get bloodwork for hormone panels, thyroid, etc. He also sent me to get another ultrasound which I did yesterday, 3/13. Still no period. Since January I changed my diet to cut out red meat, wheat, cow's dairy, refined sugar, etc (I already didn't eat HFCS, processed foods, etc) and started doing pilates 3 times a week plus cardio 2/wk. I've actually gained weight! Yeayea I know some of it is muscle, but I also know my body and what's the norm, and there's no reason why I shouldn't be steadily losing weight.

I got a voicemail from the obgyn saying the cyst on my left ovary had resolved itself (I never had any! idiot.) and that what was on my right ovary was a benign corpus luteum cyst. He didn't say whether it was now one cyst or still multiple cysts and I haven't gotten a call back from my message. Is it possible I only have one cyst now? How long is long enough to wait for a period? I didn't start my new birth control pack this month and I don't want to return to it until the cysts and my weight issue have resolved themselves.

I still haven't gotten bloodwork results from this doctor yet and don't know if it will point to PCOS or confirm a thyroid or pituitary issue, at least by western standards.

Help? I'm so sick of not knowing.

Anyone h