Ovarian issues :(
Hi everyone
I have been a lurker for some weeks now, ever since going for an ultrasound scan and being told I have a cyst.

Prior to my ultrasound, I had abnormal bleeding for about 20 days, coupled with the symptoms you would normally associate with PMS (low back pain, cramping etc) my GP fast tracked me to get an ultrasound (pelvic and trans vaginal) this has been going on for years with me but never thought to get it checked out

Anyhoo, the technician said she saw a small cyst which had been bleeding into itself. this is when I freaked a little!! (not knowing that this is quite a common thing in pre-menopausal women)

My Gp said she was not concerned with the findings of the ultrasound report but that she wanted me to go for a routine follow up ultrasound in six weeks time ( I didn't know to ask was this a complex or simple cyst etc, was just relieved that she wasn't concerned)

In the meantime, I have had a period and, two days after it finished, had awful side/back pain and some abdominal cramping, also a little bleeding. This has gone on for over a week and has me feeling very down, can't help but think there is some bad stuff going on.
Has anyone any information on what might be causing the back pain etc? I am second guessing what is going on but can never get my (anxiety ridden) brain to stop thinking this may be ovarian cancer even though the gp seems quite laid back about everything (I have my flollow up us scan this friday)
Thanks for reading, sorry its a bit of a long one!
You may want to ask more about the cyst (type) for your own information.  If it is bleeding into itself, it may also be bleeding into the surrounding areas.  It could be in the process of resolving itself.  However, the fluids of the cyst cause pain while the body works to reabsorb it all.  It could also cause an infection.  Among those possibilities, the cyst could be putting just enough pressure on other parts to cause pain as well.  Chances are you are suffering from a cyst that is breaking down and that is why the doctor wants to follow up in six weeks to see if it has reduced in size or disappeared.
Thank you for your response, you are really kind to take the trouble. I guess you have been where a lot of us are and know the panic going on!
Can the fluids take over a week to reabsorb if that's what's going on? And would it also cause the abdominal cramping?
It really does feel like I should be getting my period any minute, I'm even really clumsy and weepy like I always am at that time of month, but this has been going on days!
Ahh, thank goodness for heat packs
I've heard of it taking weeks in some cases for the pain and/or cramping to subside.  Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!