Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian issues

I am 43 year old female. In June 2012 I went the ER with extreme pelvic pain. An ultrasound revealed a mass in the right ovary. I had 2- CA125 level tests, one with a score of 3278, and the second a day later, with a score of 4682. I was sent to a gynecological oncologist who recommended surgery. Post surgery, the results were that I had several "chocolate cysts" that had previously burst and the liquid was covering the pelvic area. The mass within the right ovary was also a cyst. Biopsies were done of the cysts and several other tissues within the area, and all came back benign. I was told to follow up with my gyno in three months for a check up.

I waited a few extra months and in December saw my gyno who did a pap smear and exam. The pain I have had in my pelvic area for 2 years has remained despite the 2012 surgery. The doctor stated she felt another possible cyst and sent me for a transabdominal and endovaginal ultrasound, which I had done on Jan 15, 2013. A few days ago, the doctor's nurse advised that I needed to come in for a new CA 125 test as a result of the ultrasound. She further stated there was some type of mass on my right ovary. She also said that the new CA 125 level would determine what we would do next, and if the levels were normal, we would follow-up with an ultrasound in 2 to 3 months. I asked for a copy of the ultrasound results to educate myself, and I am glad I did because from what I am reading I do not have any issues on my right ovary, but have something on my left ovary. The results are as follows:

The right ovary is slightly heterogeneous in echotexture. It measures 2.0 x 1.6 x 1.6 cm. No focal mass is identified.

The left ovary is heterogeneous in echotexture. It measures 2.4 x 1.3 x 2.5 cm. There is a heterogeneously hyperechoic area within the ovary measuring 1 x 0.9 x 0.0 cm. No increased color flow to the left area is noted,

Impression:

1. Minimally inhomogeneous right ovary, which by report had a biopsy.

2. Heterogeneous left ovary with a focal area of differing echogenicity. This is of uncertain significance. It does not have the typical appearance of a hemorrhagic cyst. Close interval follow up is suggested given the patients history and correlation with CA 125 is also recommended.

Ok, sorry for the long post, but my question is...can you give me a lay person's translation of the results, as the doctor did not speak to me, only her nurse. Also what is the likelihood that this is going to be something different from my last issues at surgery. I see that it doesnt appear to be a hemorrhagic cyst....does this mean it is a solid mass? I will get results of CA 125 levels on Tues Jan22. Any advice would be appreciated...

Not sure if it is related, but I had a mammo and breast ultrasound done on Jan 15th also. I have had prior breast biopsies for mass in both breasts in 2008, which were benign., This time they found a cluster of suspicious microcalcifications on my right breast, BIRAD 4...for which I will have a stereotactic vacuum assisted core biopsy on Jan 23...