Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian mass

I will post a few questions on here at once. Our gynocologist is supposed to be one of the best but is a man of minimal words. Slightly frustrating!

My mum only 3 weeks ago was experiencing frequent and recurrent UTI, and urinary incontinence suddenly became a big issue. By the way she is 47.
For the most part she is quite healthy except for the once a month migraines which last for a couple of days, they literally disable her and then they disappear only to re occur again the following month. We put this down to menopausal symptoms. She has had this issue for about 9 months now.

Three months ago end of August 2010 she was experiencing 24/7 nausea and loss of appetite. This lasted for about 2 weeks on and off. She only vomited once. She saw a gastroenterologist, he did an endoscopy and she was treated with pariet for a bacterial infection called helicobacta pylori (i think this is how it is spelt). This helped her immensely and her symptoms disappeared as a result.

As a result of the above symptoms she at this time also had a CT scan with contrast of the abdomen and pelvis. The results said no significant lymphadenopathy, no free fluid in pelvis etc. No mass was detected in ovaries. I wonder how accurate a CT scan is? The person who did the report insists that back in August nothing showed up in the ovaries. He looked at the films again.

Can a mass appear in the ovaries in just 3 months? Also which is more relevant tumour marker test or the appearance of the mass as described on ultrasound report? It was described as a 6cm anechoic functional cyst, no free fluid.

My mums tumour marker results were elevated. Her gyno did not elaborate further on these results but he seemed concerned and booked her in for an operation within a week of getting these results. Also re: her urinary incontinence symptoms these are due to a spasming bladder, doesnt seem to be related to the mass that is in her ovary.

Everything points to it being a completely innocent mass, but the tumour marker results being elevated has caused anxiety. She does also have 3 fibroids in her uterus, many small cysts in her breasts and a minimally fatty liver and pancreas. She has also had 2 benign lesions removed from her breasts 10 years ago, so she is prone to this.

I have written everything re: mums history because it tells a little story. I was really concerned about the nausea and vomiting but i dont think this was associated with anything sinister because the meds did help.

Let me know what you think?

Is she pre- or post- menopausal? Tumor marker tests can be elevated by several benign conditions including cysts. 6cm is large enough for removal strictly for the size and the symptoms they cause (they CAN cause urinary incontinence, too). It is hard to say if the nausea and vomiting are associated with the cyst or the bacterial infection and treatment. A CT scan should have seen a cyst if it was there in August--if they were looking low enough to scan the ovaries. If they were looking higher, they could miss it. Cysts can form rapidly, especially the fluid- filled ones. It likely is benign, but I can understand the worry it causes. It sounds like she has a good doctor.