Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovary Cyst & belly fat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovary Cyst & belly fat

Back in Feb of this year I was told I had a 5cm cyst on my ovary (left) went back in a month to see if it was gone or still there.  Was told the left cyct was gone but had one same size on the right.  Again, back in a month to see if that one was gone.  Well, the pain has always been on my right.  I'm thinking the first Ultra Sound stated left incorrectly.  So does the doctor.  After a pelvic exam in Feb. my doctor even made a comment that if didn't "know" from the ultra sound that I had a cyst on my left, she would say it was more like on the back of my Uterus or more centered.  I told her my pains were mostly on the right and that my periods were becoming irregular and VERY painful.  Hormones okay and not in preimenopause.  
Well, here I am in May and I still have this cyst on my right ovary. So now we are planning the surgery to have it removed.  I have also had problems with frequent urine and pressure on my bladder.  No bladder infections. Lower back pain as well.  My stomach looks like I am about 6 months pregnant.  Have had some stomach issues also. (not been my year so far)  I just had a Colonoscopy and everything looked fine with that.  I am 48 years old.
My question is, can the cyst on my ovary be the cause for my frequent urine, back pain, and the swelling of my belly?  I've read a lot on this site that cyst have contributed to belly fat/ swelling.  I went from 140 pounds to 170 pounds in the last year and changed nothing at all in my life style as far as exercises or eating habits.
Has anyone else ever had belly fat or weight gain from a cyst and does it go away after the cyst is removed?
Yes, the cyst can cause ALL those symptoms.  I went through all of this myself.

And yes, if the cyst is centered (mine was lodged behind the uterus), they can easily confuse which ovary it is really on.....they told me mine was on the right but it was really on the left.

Yes, you will lose weight once the cyst is removed.  The surgery will at first cause MORE BLOAT and widening of the waist while healing, but it will go away with time.  I'm still enjoying the weight loss 4 months later.  My metabolism appears to have improved.

Best wishes to you.  You can read through my posts to get all the back story on my own surgery and recovery.  Hopefully it will help you through this.
Your symptoms sound almost exactly like mine, except I now have a solid mass and am goin for a laporascopy next friday and more than likely a removal of  lft. ovary and tube. My doctor said the weight gain and bloatin are not from the cyst but I don't gain weight easily and never have with exception to my pregnancies. So I am hoping the mass is nothing and that the weight and bloating will go away.
Well, I called my doctor today and ask for the surgery to be bumped up a week.  I am sick of walking around with my hand tucked in the top of my jeans holding my right side.  The pain is not unbareable, but its constant.  Sometimes a sharp pain can buckel me over.  Yesterday I held my left side all day!  I'm working on a list of things I want to discuss with my doctor at the pre op appointment.
Ive read a few postings and am hearing that some woman were having hair loss!  I have been noticing that the last 3 or 4 months my hair is coming out more than it has ever in my life!  I just thought it was because I wear it longer than I ever have!  ????  It sure would be nice if all my problems went away after the cyts comes out!  I'm so sick of looking like I'm pregnant!  I'm sick of wearing XLarge shirts to hide behind! I am not big any where except my gut!  So on May 28th. I guess I will find out what its like to be without pain in my ovaries!  Well, maybe a week or two later ;-) once I recover from the surgery!  I can't wait to get it over with!
Well I just had surgery on Friday left hospital on Saturday. The doc did remove my Lft ovary and tube and the mass was endometriosis. I also had it on my Rt Ovary which they removed the endometriosis but left the ovary on Rt side. My stomach is so swollen right now and the pain is still bad. I was told the bloating will last for a week or so.I am looking forward to that going away.
I just had an ovary and tube removed along with cyst on the right side. My stomach is now bloating. Did it go away for you? If so how long did it take. The bloating wasn't too bad at first but now it's been one week and it's really bloating. How long is total recovery?
I gained 10 pounds in two weeks. I have always been around 125 pounds and now Im almost 140! All the weight is in my tummy, mostly lower abdomen. Anyway, I just found out that I had 5 cysts on my ovaries and had them removed. While getting my surgery the doctor discovered I have developed endometriosis. That along wih the cysts contributed to my sudden belly weight gain. I noticed immediately after the surgery, even with swelling that my stomach was already smaller. I can't wait for the swelling to be totally gone and have my flat belly back!!!
Talk to your doctor about vitex. It helps regulate hormones and when I take it all the symptoms from cysts goes away. You have to make sure you can take it if you're on birth control. I will say it's worth it to not have awful cramps, back pain, swelling, acne, and bloating! Also ditch products containing soy! Soy increases estrogen. High levels of estrogen cause all kinds of problem. Hope this helps.
I had surgery they removed my left ovary, said it was very bloody. and uterus due to fibroids tumors. I have pain almost every other month on my right side. I have been to the ER 3 times for the pain. Stayed in bed with pain because my doctor told me he wouldn't remove my last ovary at my age which is 47 unless absolutely necessary. The first hospital visit ovary cyst was 6 cm. still in pain went to my doctor it was 5 cm. Last couple of times at the ER were a joke. one even read it as uterine fibroids at the fundus when I don't even have a uterus. Still bloating I am regularly 111 now within 2 weeks fluctuate between 115 to 119.. keeps going up.. look like I am pregnant. I even now have a hernia, they put mesh in over a year ago still hurting there also. said it is on the rectus sheath and instead of going over top the hernia did all the way across my stomach. Never been right since first surgery.