Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovary cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovary cyst

Hi everyone
I had a MRI scan last week to confirm a prolapsed disc and a cyst was spotted. I had an ultra sound today and its between 3-4cm. I have been having periods which are very heavy and stabbing pains I thought it was my age 44, and have always had bad periods.
I had a ca 125 blood test and I'm seeing my GP tomorrow to explain it has anyone else had one? It was 40 I don't know what this means. I hope my GP helps tomorrow.

Can anyone give me advise please I'm already suffering with my prolapsed disc epidural on Monday, and know I'm worried about the cyst.

Thanks Tracy
Hi Tracy,

The CA125 test is typically a more accurate tumor marker for women post-menopausal. It can represent number of things, so I wouldn't worry. Normal CA125 levels are <35.  Sometimes the levels are elevated during ovulation, menstruation or due to things like Endometriosis. For some woman the level has no relationship to problems they're having.

I had my CA125 tested after an ultrasound found my cyst, and my level was 105. I did a ton of research on the test, and understand it is really dependent on the woman. I ultimately had a 14cm LMP tumor removed. My levels are now normal after surgery.

Try not to worry too much about the cyst. I learned from the people on this site as well as through much research how common functional cysts are, and that some do shrink on their own.

Best wishes to you! Keep checking this site. There are a lot of amazing women with great advice and experiences. :)
Hi Natalie

Thank you for your reply it has really helped me. What does LMP stand for?
I have an appointment on the 25 th with a gynocoligist don't think that spelling is right:-)

With my prolapsed disc it just got me very upset.
Hope you are having a good day
Tracy:-)
Hi Tracy,

Glad to provide any support I can. I got so much support from this group, and all the ladies here really helped me keep peace of mind.

LMP is Low Malignant Potential - it's an extremely slow growing form of ovarian cancer mostly treated with with surgery only, and excellent prognosis. I was referred to a gynecologic oncologist as soon as the GP and OB/GYN reviewed my ultrasound as it showed solid mass, plus the size of the cyst and my CA125 elevated over 100.

Keep us posted how everything goes on the 25th. :)