Ovarian Cysts Community
PAIN on and around incision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

PAIN on and around incision

Hello Ladies,
I need some assistance.  I had a removal of my left ovary due to a thecoma mass through laproscopy(4 incision) on 03/18/2009.  The incision where the ovary was removed is Painful, hard, tender around the area.  I think the stitches on the inside have disolved but I am not sure.  The other incisions are fine but this one is not.  I have a hard time walking  and after a while it feels like a pulling around the incision and my leg hurt.  I notified the doctor and of course he said start taking the pain pills again.  I stopped 6 days ago because I wanted to actually get up and move.   I am taking Hydromorphone( Dilaudid).  Is this pain normal.  Could I have developed scar tissue?  Need any advice
That may be where they did a lot more internal surgery than the other incisions, so there may be a lot more healing to be done.  I doubt the internal healing is complete yet.  

Here are Post-Op instructions from my own surgeon regarding laparoscopic incisions:

"Call Your Doctor If:  
- You experience more redness, tenderness, or swelling of your incision than when you left the hospital. However, your incision will remain tender and sensitive for several weeks and this is not cause for concern.
- You have drainage from your incision.
- Your temperature is greater than 100.4 degrees.
- You have problems with constipation not relieved by taking a mild laxative such as milk of magnesia.
- You experience severe abdominal pain.
- You have persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- You have any problems with urinating such as hesitancy, frequency, pass small amounts, or burning."

Have you lifted anything too heavy or done anything too strenuous?  You need to take it easy a bit longer and allow your body to heal.

Ibuprofen works for pain, too, without making you unable to function.  Just take it easy and make sure you eat/drink something with it so you don't hurt your stomach lining from the medicine.
Thank you for your advice.  I am unable to  takeIbuprofen idue to it being an NSAIDS and I am allergic to all NSAIDS.  I will rtake it easy .  I think i thought I was healing so I started walking and doig light workouts.  I guess it is to soon to do soo much.  I wish i didn't have to take such a strong pain pill
   I had the same operation last year, but the cyst was smaller. However, one of my stitches behaved in pretty much the same way. Perhaps you may be doing a little too much too soon.. It usually takes about 2 weeks (even though you feel great in one week) to achieve total healing.That little hard "knot" took quite awhile to disappear actually. I think I'd slow it down just a bit in the "workout" dept. I cannot take the NSAIDS nor aspirin either, but I found the Tylenol X strength did fine.
   Take it a little easier and let us know,

Sandy
Hello ans thank u for your response.  I left a message on the doctor forum and she recommended an exam to make sure it was not an infection or hernis. my GYN is in Peru for a week so I will make an appointment with my primary.  I just switch insurance and I have only met him once.  I hope he knows what he is doing.  He does....LOL  my grandmother said I was doing to much.  Walking a mile the last couple of days have been painful but the ex-military girl in me says no pian no gain.  I guess that does not apply to surgery.  I will slow down.  I just felt like I needed to move more to help with the recovery.  He has me going back to work in two weeks.  I have to be ready to do alot of driving and carrying items and moving about.  As of today I can't do my job.  Hopefully I can get an appointment tomorrow.  So you alos developed a hard bump aroung the incision.  was it fine or was it an infection or hernia,   I hope all is better

JRG
   The hard little "knot" I think was just the internal stitching..Almost as if you were sewing and it sort of 'bunched up" .. hard to explain, but it's probably familiar to you. It  didn't really show on the outside.. but it did go away after awhile . I think what you have to watch out for is any redness, or seepage or bleeding..but I was careful not to overdo as well. I didn't even drive for 2 weeks per the Dr's instructions even though I felt fine after a week.I was up and about, went to the store, etc. but no heavy lifting, no heavy housework, etc.  And yes.. I think you're right; "no pain, no gain'' is definitely exempt from surgery, LOL.. You take care of yourself and I'll bet things settle down..
Keep us posted,

Sandy
Hello

I went to a regular doctor to get the incision checked since my GYN went out of the country.  He did however call me and inform me to have the incision checked to insure there is no infection/hernia.  The doctor was quick and to the point.  He  ad be stand up and checked the incision....said it was scar tissue only...no need for ultrasound and he didn't do surgery so was unsure why I was having side pain.  He aso kept saying...u had you left ovary removed but the incision is on your right......Ya   He had a hard time grasping it.  At lease I know it is not infected......  The other thing is one of my incisions came open a slight bit.  Im just putting neosporin on and covering it with a bandade.  It should be fine.  Thanks ladies