Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Pain after ruptured ovarian cyst

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Pain after ruptured ovarian cyst

3 weeks ago I ended up in the ER for a ruptured hemmorhagic ovarian cyst.  I avoided getting immediate medical care because this had happened twice in the past and once it happened there was nothing the doctors could do; I just had to wait it out.  This time was different.  My boyfriend had to call an ambulance because I had severe pains in my chest, shoulders, and neck to the point that I couldnt inhale and I started going into shock.  At the hospital I found out that not only was this a very large cyst but that the blood vessels had been bleeding into my abdomen all day and that the severe pain was caused by the blood irritating my diaphragm.  My blood count was constantly monitored and I came quite close to having the blood and remaining piece of the cyst surgically removed.  Fortunately it stopped bleeding and I was sent home the next day.  Although I am much better I am still in pain.  Throughout the day I feel like I have period cramps, the normal sensation of needing to use the bathroom is quite painful ( with my bladder and my bowels) and every morning when I wake up the pain is a little worse than during the rest of the day.  The doctors say I have to wait for my body to absorb the blood.  My questions: How long can it take for this pain to go away?  Is it normal for me to still feel like this?  
I'm sorry this has happened to you.  Definitely when women have ruptured ovarian cysts, it can be quite painful and take time to go away/improve.  It sometimes may take another period cycle or 2 to fully resolve.  I would recommend that you rest, stay hydrated and take ibuprofen for pain medicine if you are able to.  If you don't have a gynecologist, it would be a great reason to have a consult and follow up after this, especially if this has happened before.  Good luck to you.