Ovarian Cysts Community
Pain and bruising after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Pain and bruising after surgery

Hi all.

Since my last post I had the surgery to remove my complex cyst and my right ovary. I was in so much pain when I woke up they kept me in the hospital for 24 hours on a morphine drip. I am home now and it has been a week from the surgery. Here are my concerns and questions. First...I have a very sharp burning pain when I sit, move, roll over in bed, get up and down, laugh, sneeze, etc. The pain is such a sharp burning pain it takes my breath away. The other thing is the bruising. I know bruising is normal...I have some at the incision areas but yesterday (day 6 post op) I have this dark purple almost black bruise the size of a 4x4 in. circle right about the pubic line. I have no incisions there. I am just assuming that it is where they did the work on the inside. Has anyone else experienced these things after such a surgery? Thanks so much for any input.
I had a pretty impressive bruise on my abdomen after my surgery. I even took a picture of it because I was amazed. Even the doctor was shocked when she saw it 2 weeks after the surgery. They do push things around in there to get to the parts they want. Unless you're developing a hematoma (like a bubble of blood under the skin) or have a fever and increased pain, the bruise is probably part of the trauma to your innards. You'll have sharp, burning pains come and go for awhile. I had my surgery in Feb. and I still have some times (a day here or there) where my left side aches and has sharp zingers. Not as bad as the first few days but I won't forget which side they operated on. Keep an eye on your temp. If it goes up or your belly seems to swell, call your doctor.
    I, too had quite a bit of bruising.. I wasn't expecting that .... Kinda makes you wonder what on earth they do while they are in there doesn't it !... All I can say is that is does go away.
    I had some phantom pains as well.. Even though I no longer have an ovary or tube, it was just as though it was still there. Not severe, but enough to know it was there. Peculiar .
    Agree with Irene's advice on keeping an eye on it.. Hope you feel better soon.

Sandy
Hiyas,
I agree that you should keep an eye on it and at the very least leave a message for your doc to find out if it is noral for YOUR recovery.  We are all so different sometimes.
I had some major bruising and some of it was nowhere near the incision site.  It was where they injected me with heparin in the abdomen.  
And I am so glad ya'll talked about those "phantom" pains.  The way I describe mine is that it is like I swallowed glass and its scratching around inside of my intestines.  Now dont get scared like I was.  It lasts at most 30 seconds and it is highly manageable but the first few times it happened I was frightened because I had never experienced anything like that before.  I could find very little about it in terms of research.  I also blamed myself and I was ashamed because I thought I did something wrong in my recovery.  Even when I had my chilkdren I had never spent 24hrs in a hospital before.  Then, I think it was Mary or Val, pointed me towards doing the "body rolling" exercises.  What a big difference that made.  Now of course I didn't even attempt this until after my post op with the gyn onc, but until that time it let me kow I was not alone and that is what all this is really about :)
I pray you a good recovery,
Love,
Sharon
Hi, this is day 6 post laparoscopy and hysteroscopy for me.  Oh, the pain is imbearable at times.  Sometimes I feel like they must have damaged something in there.  The belly button incision is horribly bruised (black & blue), I hope it goes away, because it looks scary.  I also have pain when I use the bathroom.  I know its only day 6 but I am getting desperate.  
When do you go for your post op appt? I had mine in 1 week, but there may be differences depending upon your surgeon. Make sure you mention these symptoms to him. It may be perfectly normal for you, but it's better that he knows about that pain. When you say pain when you use the bathroom do you mean with urination? or bowel? If you're constipated, that will hurt like crazy... Pain while urination may be a UTI.. surely hope not.

Try not to worry, and please let the Dr. know about those pains.. In the meantime, take care and keep us posted,

Sandy
I had my post op a week after surgery, to remove stitches.  The day the stitches were removed was the worst day, I was in a lot of pain afterwards (don't know why).  I have another post op appointment in a week from now.  The nurse told me that is the day the doctor is going to show me pictures of the procedure ( I am looking forward to that)

I am extremely constipated- and it is very painful.

How long ago did you have the surgery Sandy?  

Jani

Back in January of this year.. I'm so sorry you're so uncomfortable. That constipation can be brutal. I stocked up on prunes, drink lots and lots of water , took  stool softeners like Dulcolax .. I also took Metamucuil but I take that everyday anyway.. Some Drs. don't agree with that in case it forums a blockage, but I've been taking it for 40 years I think and I dilute it very well ..

But prunes and even figs do a great job, but fresh figs are really expensive! That problem alone can be painful all over I think ..

Take care and keep us posted.. --it will get better
Sandy
So It has been 11 days since lap and Hys.  I am feeling better. I still can not buttom up ny jeans yet, but little by littel I guess. Doctor stated my husband and I can have sex after this last weekend.  That sounds great, because we definitely want to start ttc.  However it is still sore.  We'll see how it goes.