Ovarian Cysts Community
Pain in rib cage, why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Pain in rib cage, why?

Why in the world would a ovarian cyst cause pain under your rib cage.  It makes no sense to me it is no where near it.  
That is not a usual symptom.  It could happen from a chain reaction from the cyst.  A cyst putting pressure on your bowel and hormonal changes related to the cyst could cause more gas.  Gas commonly causes pain under the rib cage.  Or, you could be holding your body differently because of the pressure/pain from the cyst and therefore your muscles could be strained around your rib cage.  Stress can cause muscle tensing as well.  I do get rib cage pain that was diagnosed at costochondritis when I am tense or have lifted heavy objects.  In general though, it is not a common complaint with cysts.  Did your doctor correlate the pain with your cyst?  
They don't say anything when I tell them my symptoms.  They just look at me like I have 2 heads, lol.  Just like at the start when I asked the gyno if he ever heard anyone say their ovary was volcanic like it was errupting all the time.  That is why he sent me to the gastro.  But I was right it was coming from my ovary surprise, surprise.  I hate to say it but they are men and have no idea what we are talking about.  Shouldn't be allowed, whoops did I say that out loud!!
Rib cage pain is what got me to the doctor in the first place and it was definitely due to the cyst (cyst is out now--no  more rib cage pain).  However, my cyst was very large so it was pushing against my organs under my ribs, like my kidney.  My kidney was refluxing, causing pain.
Thanks, makes me feel a little less crazy, lol.  Mine is a 5cm cyst but he thinks it is hemorrhagic, I don't really think he knows for sure that's what makes me a little nervous. CA125 is 80 so I am worried over that also.  I just want this to go away but it has been going on since February.  He said he would set me up for surgery, can't wait to get this alien out!!!
I feel so bad for you.  You have been dealing with pain for a long time now!   Too long!!!! Do you not have a surgery date yet?  

No I don't hopeshell I haven't heard anything and when I phone I get the answering machine telling me they're gone until August 3rd.  I am starting to get depressed!!!
its crueal to leave you that long in pain ,my symptons started with gall bladder pain had surgery and 3 months later a dermoid was discovered but the surgery was all on the right side i truely belive it was all connected,please keep posted every time you can you need support its a stressfull time and it helps to share i feel sorry for you keep in touch x
I know this is an old post..but I was curious if you had kidney pain as well..I mean I know you said your kidney was refluxing causing pain..but I wasn't sure if your kidney was causing the other pain by pushing up or if you had kidney pain as well.  sorry for this sounding crazy..:O)  I am having some of the same symptoms as you..plus some kidney..or I believe to be kidney pain also.  

Whatever did you find out anyway??...OHHHH..hehe just read your post again..so the cyst was pushing against your kidney causing it to hurt...hmmm

Well, how are you now??  All straightened out I hope;o)
My cyst is huge, and I have rib pain as well. Used to be a constant, dull annoyance in the left side (2 inches away from solar plexus, following the bottom of the ribs), but since the cramps in that area, it is swapping between left and right, but never as constant. Yay I can sleep on my right side again.... sometimes.

Im not sure how my kidneys are doing, they done ultra sound scans of them due to the size of my cyst, but never told me how they were doing.
I currently have an 8cm cyst on my left ovary and await results from ct scan. I ALSO am experiencing periodic pain in my left rib cage area.  Thought I was crazy but I imagine something this size must be shifting other organs... Glad I saw this post.
I have an 8cm complex cyst on my left ovary ,I also experience pain under my ribs. I assumed it was pressure from the cyst displacing something else in there or rubbing the abdominal wall causing pain.
glad I seen this post, maybe Im not crazy after all!!! Or maybe I am, they just found a large mass in my RIGHT ovary, but for the past year, every time I have a period, I have excrustiating pain in my LEFT side near ribs, but my left ovaries look fine, ecept that they found them in my side, up high.....Whats going on????
I had pain in my ribcage due to internal bleeding after my custody had ruptured. If you look bloated or are having issues voiding, eating, etc., get in ASAP! Learned that lesson the hard way.
I am so glad I came across this forum. My family doctor ordered a CT of my ribs down to my pevic area. I am having pain right under my left rib. They didn't find anything wrong under my rib, but the radiologist found a 7.7 cm cyst in my ovary. I am scheduled to have a pelvic ultrasound with my gynecologist on January 9. I have a history of endometriosis and I had a partial hysterectomy 5 years ago. My gyneloglogist left one of my ovaries to keep me from having to take hormones. My family doctor has been baffled at what could be causing the pain under my ribs, but after reading your posts, I am going to ask my gynecologist if it could be from pressure on other organs from the cyst.
I have just before the new year been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst, larger than a very large orange, it started with a dull ache, then excruciating pain, went to er, and they told me, what i thought was likely a cyst, then they said if it doesnt go within a couple months would need to have it out, then they said if you get pain under your rib cage, and pain between your shoulders to come back right away as you could be bleeding internally, ok i am there now, so off to er again tomorrow or the drs whichever is quicker, good luck any other woman suffering from this, apparently everyone woman in the world suffers from this, however some are completely unaware and painless, i vote come back a man next time around

I have a similar situation and my cyst also ruptured.  The ER Dr. says he thinks the pain I am experiencing in my chest (rib cage and lower back) is due to internal bleeding from the rupture.  I also had a pulminary embolism in June and now have tachychardia and was wondering if you experienced this as well.  It seems like there are a few cases in which people also have that along with some arthritic symptoms which I also have developed...This has really been an unpleasant ordeal...and I was perfectly healthy a year ago!

I was just curious how long your pain lasted and what course of treatment your MD prescribed?  Also, have you had recurring cysts?

Thanks,

Sandra