Ovarian Cysts Community
Pain in waves?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Pain in waves?

Dear All,

I have been diagnosed with two complex cysts (one on each ovary). I had my TVUS yesterday and waiting for the results.  I do have lower abdominal pain on and off for the past two months and it is more persistent and sever during the week before my periods and during the periods. I wanted to know what kind of pain do you all observe? Many times I feel pain like cramping during periods (more intense though)...but some times I feel that a wave of pain starts from my lower back and go through abdomen, thighs and end in legs. Is this wave like pain normal? Kind of scared and confused

TIA
A.Shah
Cyst pain varies for everyone.  Some get little to no pain at all.  The pain could be in places far removed from the cyst itself (referred pain) such as the back and legs.

Pain is rarely all the time. Could be after a large meal, exercise, lifting, at different times of the menstrual cycle, when changing positions (especially lying down to sleep at night).  They can also cause changes in bowel and bladder habits.

What you are feeling is fairly "normal" for those that have cysts.  Complex cysts do require a bit more scrutiny by doctors since they are the more concerning types to have and harder to understand with the tests currently available.