Pelvic Ultrasound - Ovarian Cyst
Newbie here and am glad to have found this forum ;)

27 yr old married female.
I was diagnosed with having a simple cyst measuring 3.5CM back in Dec 2007.
However, after taking the prescribed meds(along with birth control pills) for a month or so, the subsequent Ultrasound(in Jan 2008) revealed that the cyst was gone.

Now:
I have continued taking BC pills. About 4-6 months ago I started developing back-pain(& in left lower abdomen); also, the pain(which would come and go) occurred usually the week before I had my periods.
Since the pain has been recurring, we went to see a Radiologist to get an Ultrasound done and I just got my 'Pelvic Ultrasound' examination result today.

Here is what it says :

FINDINGS: The uterus measures up to 7.6CM and is within normal limits. The endometrial thickness is ~4MM and is within normal range. The right ovary measures up to 3.4CM and has a normal ultrasound appearance. The left ovary is mostly displaced by a large 7.5CM ovarian cyst. Measurements of the ovarian tissue are difficult to obtain as they are predominantly obscured by the cyst.

There is no marked free fluid within the pelvis. There is no suspicious adnexal lesion or mass seen.

IMPRESSION: 7.5CM cystic focus in the left adnexa.

Am confused by this result. I have scheduled an appointment with my Gyno next week but I need help in understanding.

1. Do I have simply cyst or ovarian cyst?..or is it a simply cyst on an Ovary?

2. Does this affect me getting pregnant later?

3. Am told surgery maybe needed since the cyst is so large. How much does Laproscopy cost? Any suggestion for Out-Patient Clinics in the South Florida area?
Hi. I'm surprised that you were given the report. You definitely need to talk with your Gyn about these results. Your Gyn can do a more detailed ultrasound to find out what type of cyst you have and answer your fertility questions. Is that the soonest you can get in? Also, if you need surgery, your Gyn should be able to help you or find resources if you do not have medical insurance. You can also call hospitals in your area to find out what the costs are--there are usually several different costs--the hospital, the doctor, the anesthesiologist, etc. I wouldn't worry about it until you see your Gyn. FYI--you can also call the local health department to get resources and information if you do not have medical insurance. I am familiar with north FL, not South, sorry I can't recommend any out-patient clinics.

Hope this helps some.

Kim
We got the GYN referral and she can only see us next week.
I'll post once we are consult with her.

Cost of surgey is also an issue since we have high deductible with our medical insurance plan.
Does anyone know taking BC pills in high dosage could 'melt' away the simple cysts?
I met my OBGYN today and she went over my medical history, family history and the Ultrasound report.

She told me since I had a 7.5cm simply cyst on my left ovary, it could be treated with higher dosage of Birth Control(BC) pills.
I was taking 20mcg before and now its upped to 35mcg.

Previously, a cyst of about 8cm warranted surgery but new guidelines published extend that to upto 10cm.

As a precaution, she asked me to do a blood test(CA-125) and I'll post as soon as I get the report.

Am relieved but at the same time have to monitor myself for the next 3 months and have scheduled a follow-up meeting.
An update.

I got my CA-125 result and it was 5(range 0-34).

Should be it 0?

Would this increase or decrease with the size of the cyst?