Ovarian Cysts Community
Pelvic and Abdominal MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Pelvic and Abdominal MRI

Is it customary to order an abdominal and pelvic mri for an ovarian cyst and endometrial polyp. The PA said it was to make sure they could get a good view of the ovary that a pelvic may miss. Am I reading between the lines too much or does this happen.
It is very common to order a MRI for gyn evaluation when they are not sure about your condition.  It is pretty standard to order a MRI or CT if you have a complex or large cyst.  Do you know the size of your cyst?  Your cyst must be of a size or consistency that warrants further investigation.  Try not to worry....most cysts turn out to be benign!  Hopefully, the results of the MRI will be able to rule out any serious conditions!  Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Shelly
The abdominal MRI is with contrast and is in a closed MRI. That one is scheduled for monday. The pelvic is also with contrast but is in an open MRI. They are both about 45 minutes each. No food or drink 4 hours prior. I will let you all know how it goes.
I did not read the report but I believe the cyst is 10cm. The ovary is twice it's size the way the doctor described it. She is calling in a gyn/oncologist into the surgery. I'm hoping he is not necessary.
Yes, your cyst is very large.  I also hope you don't need the gyn/onc.  But, I am so happy to hear he is available, if needed.  Next Wed., I am also having a pelvic and abdominal MRI...it always takes forever in there. :(   I still dread them even though I have had many at this point.  My MRI machine is closed for both pelvic and abdomen and they do them back to back.   They have radio through headphones available in my MRI.  One time they forgot to tell me and put it on and it was harder than with the music.  Ask them if they have music, if they don't offer.  The grinding of the machine, closed feeling and worry about what will be found make it quite uncomfortable.  I will be looking forward to hearing an update from you!  I will be praying you get a benign outcome!

Shelly
Hi Hope;
Thank you for that suggestion. I would not have thought to ask for music. I will keep you posted. God bless.
I had my first of 2 MRI's. Today was the abdominal MRI it was done in a "closed tube" and for those who have never had one, it is not completely closed. This is my first MRI ever and didn't know what to expect. The top by my head was open and where my feet were was open. The technician put in an IV with contrast in my arm and did not hurt. One arm was over my head and the arm with the IV was to my side. To help my low back I asked for a pillow under my knees and it helped tremendously to keep me still.  I kept my eyes closed going in and mistakenly opened them up when I was inside. I think it is best to just keep them closed the entire time and focus on what the tech is telling you. Keep your eyes closed!! There was a cool breeze the whole time and because mine was abdominal I was asked to hold my breath for 30 seconds at a time. Then breath. The entire tube experience was about 10-15 minutes. Not the 45 I was told. The 45 Minutes included the paper work, changing and IV.
They gave me foam ear plugs because the machine is noisy. It felt like a futuristic ride at an amusement park. I did not have to put on a gown because none of my clothes had metal. I wore a sports bra with absolutely no underwire or snaps. My yoga pants had no metal gromets for drawstrings, that would not be allowed. Socks and a T-shirt.
All went well. Tomorrow should go well because it is an open MRI. As long as my results are good, this part of the process is no sweat and nothing to worry about. Cake.