Ovarian Cysts Community
Pelvic pain during pregnancy and after miscarriage....cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi there, My situation goes as such.  I am 27 years old.  Over the past 2 years I have had 3-4 UTI's.  I Became pregnant in April and at 6 weeks started to experience lower abdomen pain.  THe pain was not severe, it was as if it was a throbbing or twisting type pain.  Week 7 I experienced lower back pain.  I miscarried late June at 9 weeks.  I had no signs of miscarriage, I had gone in for a ultrasound and it showed no heartbeat. The day after i was informed I miscarried, they gave me misoprostol, in order abort the pregnancy.  Because this was done in the hospital, I asked for the medication then to have a D and C if it did not go fast.  I then had a D and C that same evening.  6 weeks after my D and C I still had lower right pelvic pain. I went for a pap test 2 weeks ago and it came back abnormal, so they did a colposcopy on me and still no results. They also did a CT Scan and and Ultrasound and it showed a 3 cm cyst on my right ovary. Its been 2 weeks since and I got my first period since my pregnancy and the pain in my right pelvic area stopped but I now have a little pain in my left pelvic area.
I dont even know where to start and can not deal with the questions and possibilities I have going on in my head.
My OB GYN has made mention that it could be endometriosis, or pelvic adhesions. She also me mentioned that I can wait to have my next period and then determine whether I should have a laproscopy. By the time this all gets arranged, it will be nearly December and I don't want to risk any more risks that could possibly cause infertility.
Do ovarian cysts hurt? what should I do next?
Could well have been ovarian cysts.  I'd ask the doctor if it would be possible to at least have an ultrasound, or maybe even an MRI of the uterine area.
Thank you so much. Do ovarian cysts hurt though? Since I posted this the pain in my right pelvic area came back. What would the MRI show? I am sure that whatever it is caused my miscarriage due to it starting the week before I miscarrie
I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.  That is very tough!  Well...try not to worry too much about the "what ifs."  I do think it is normal for you to be having these types of symptoms given what you have been through.  Ovarian cysts do hurt!  It could definitely be to blame for several of your symptoms.  I do think with your combo of issues, that you do need good follow-up to determine if you have an underlying condition.  Most cysts resolve on their own.  I would think timely follow-up of your cyst will let you know if it is simple and has resolved.  I agree with AnnieBrooke, that it would be wise for your to have a MRI of your pelvis to make sure nothing else is going on and to check on the cyst.  It is very common for it to take time to get back to normal after a miscarriage.  I think you should give yourself several months before before trying to conceive again.    Your body needs this time to get back to normal hormonally.   It is normal to have great fears about possible infertility after going through a miscarriage.  I can only say that I do have many friends who have had them and then went on to have healthy children at a later time.  Keep the faith, give your body some time and try not to worry.  Following up with your doctor for the cyst is the best and only thing you can do at this point.  I hope it resolves soon!

Shelly
I guess we were posting at the same time because I just saw you last post after I wrote above.  To clarify...YES...cysts do usually cause pain!   You do want to talk to your doctor about why the pain correlated with your miscarriage.  Usually, when cysts occur during pregnancy they don't cause miscarriage.  Has your doctor determined your type of cyst?  Is it complex (has solid parts)? I really do think you need to have follow-up of your cyst prior to December.  Best wishes!
Thanks so much for your response. What is so puzzling to me, is that I got this pain a week prior to my miscarriage and am still having it nearly 2 months later and all they have found was a cyst. How do they determine what type of cyst it is? My OBGYN hasn't said, but she said something was in it and that was all. She is not very good as she forgot I was pregnant and was going to put me on the pill to see if the pain would go away, not knowing I wanted to try to get pregnant soon. What ever is causing my pain, I am sure my pregnancy triggered it as thats when I started to feel it and still have it :-(
Yes, it does sound likely that the hormonal changes of pregnancy triggered these other symptoms. Unfortunately, there is no way to coclusively know the type of cyst without surgery.  A MRI is very good at helping determine the contents of the cyst, but usually it sill will give two or three possibilities.  Dermoid cysts are more easily identified on a scan because they show fat, teeth or hair which is unique to their type of cyst.  It is harder to differentiate between other types like hemorrhagic or endometriomas based on just a scan.   Endometriomas result from endometriosis...so if you have endometriosis this is a strong possibility.

That is a little worrisome that your gyn forgot you were pregnant...?  Maybe it is time for second opinion!   It is too bad you have to deal with this cyst concer after going through your miscarriage!  :(  Hang in there!  

Shelly
Thanks again!!MRI's take nearly 3-4 months to get here, and I have to travel 8 hours to get one as my home town does not have one. I have made an apt. with another obgyn for a second opinion next week and am looking forward to hearing what she has to say.
My current obgyn has made mention of endometriosis but I have never had the symptoms but she still keeps saying it which makes me very nervous.
Thanks for your replies, its nice to hear some ideas to settle my mind.
Nikki