Ovarian Cysts Community
Period after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Period after surgery

I had laparascopic surgery almost 4 weeks ago, to remove my left ovary, which had a dermoid cyst, along with my left fallopian tube.  We are trying to get pregnant, and hoped to begin trying again this cycle.  However, my period still hasn't started.  I was already on day 5 of my last cycle the day of surgery, and AF was due 2 days ago.

Has anyone else been through this surgery that can tell me if it's normal for my period to be late the first time after this surgery?

Thanks!
It is normal for your periods and hormones to be off for the first few months.  It can take a bit of time for your other ovary to kick in and take over.  I'm having the opposite problem.  I had my surgery to remove cysts and right ovary and tube June 6.  Period came 2 weeks before surgery (early), then had another start 2 days after surgery and have had 2 more since.  I'm already feeling PMS and worried I'll be getting another again before it is due.  Enough already!

Keep on trying but you won't be able to base anything on the timing of your periods for awhile.  
How did you know it was your period and not something that was going on inside from surgery.  I have very lite bleeding..more than spotting but less than my periods are usually.  It came 4 days after surgery but 4 days before my period was to start.
Hi SBurton,

I've also been throught a similar operation but i didn't remove anything else except the cyst, i was due to have my periods that month but thye didn't come probably because of the operation but the next month which was 8th May they came and today again i'm seeing some little bit of blood so you need to relax and it'll come.

we're  also trying to fall pregnant and gynae said we should be able to do so without any fertility treatment, it's been a month now and no luck but i'm praying each day for 2 lines on the pregnancy tests.

good luck and please keep us updated.