Ovarian Cysts Community
Periods irregular after ovary removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Periods irregular after ovary removed

It's been 3 years since my surgery.I had one ovary removed.It was a benign cyst 10 cm large. Every so often my period skips a month. I was told that the one ovary would do the work of both. I was wondering why it is not picking up the slack and I also want to get pregnant and have been birth control free since my surgery I have not been successful. I want to understand my body better and if you have any tips on getting pregnant--the monthly period skipping just gets my hopes up on being pregnant,but it always lets me down.  
I would be setting up an appt to speak to your OBGYN to find out what is going on. I'm 3 months post surgery with one ovary removed, and I had my post surgery bleed, and a month later i had a short period, but i started birth control then to keep the cyst away from my left ovary(simple functioning cysts but still annoying!)I'm due to have a break from the birth control and have a period, we'll see if its going to happen. I was told that the remaining ovary will pick up the slack and realize its the only one producing hormone and eggs and ovulate every month now instead of alternating. If its been 3 years and its still not happening i would go and get a check up and make sure things are going okay especially with trying to get pregnant. Cant imagine how frustrating and heartbreaking it would be to have the hopes up on being pregnant. Good luck with everything, sending baby dust your way!!
Thank you JessRae. I hope so too.It'll be a month tomorrow since my last period and the test said negative. I think I'm going to go to my doctor. Maybe they can tell me if the remaining ovary produces the right hormones. If I even have a chance of pregnancy.
I think it would be good to get checked out, better safe than sorry. Hopefully youll get some answers and be able to be on the right track to TTC! Good luck
Sooo...right when I was about to (that very day) set up an appointment at my doctors,I randomly took a test and I found out I'm pregnant!! Thanks for sending baby dust!!! lol :) After trying for 2 years it finally worked. Of course,after I have the baby,I am going to get my hormones checked. Thank you!!
Wow!! Well Congratulations. :)