Ovarian Cysts Community
Please help! I'm Scared!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Please help! I'm Scared!

Two months ago, my Doctor called me with the results of my yearly ultrasound.  I had an ovarian cyst.  She asked me to repeat the test in two months.  Jump to two months.  I just received the results of the follow up ultrasound yesterday and the cyst is still there.  It is 4.5 cm on my right ovary.  I also have a small 1.5 cm cyst right next to it.  My doctor just called and wants to see me in her office on Friday.  I am freaking out!  My mother died from ovarian cancer two years ago.  I had the BRCA test and it was negative for ovarian cancer.  I take a low estrogen birth control pill so I don't know how I developed a cyst.  I am scared about what the Doctor is going to tell me.  She is probably going to recommend surgery.  I'm 42 years old and have a son.  I'm not married so I'm seriously thinking about removing my ovaries.  Is a 4.5 cm cyst that big that it has to be removed?  I'm really stressing over what my Doctor is going to tell me!   Do you think she will recommend surgery for the 4.5 cm cyst and if so, what type of surgery do you recommend?  Should I remove both ovaries due to my mother dying from ovarian cancer at 68?  I'm worried about a long recovery time because I have to work full time and I have to take care of my 11 year old son.  Thanks!