Ovarian Cysts Community
Possible Infection after Laporoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Possible Infection after Laporoscopy

I am looking for some advice regarding a possible infection following laporoscopy 13 days ago to remove a dermoid. My abdomen is still quite swollen and distended and one of my incisions has recently turned red and started to ooze pus. I've also had a mild fever off and on. Is this all just normal or a low grade topical infection? How can you tell if you have an internal infection? At what point should I worry / think about contacting my doctor?

3 months after my c-section with my daughter it was discovered (really guessed) that I had a pelvic infection (there were no signs until it got really bad) and I really don't want a repeat of that!!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post!!
If it were me, I'd contact your Dr. ASAP.. I don't want to alarm you , but please don't try to guess if you have an infection or not.  Best to have someone advise you .. If it's not an infection, no harm done..
You may need a course of antibiotics.  I went for a post-post op well-woman exam last week only to discover I had a minor pelvic infection with no noticeable symptoms.  Can't be from anything I've done since my body has been in "rest and recovery mode" since the day of surgery in mid-January.  Very similar to what you described following your C-section.  And the antibiotics I've been given have some unpleasant side effects.  Can't wait until they are gone later this week.

I agree with Sandymac, you need to follow up with your doctor and treat this before it gets any worse (if it needs treatment).  
Thanks to both of you for answering my questions! I may be worrying all for naught but I would rather follow up than not. I actually can't get through to my surgeon so I made an appointment with my GP instead.

MarieMichele, do you mind me asking what symptoms helped them diagnose your infection? I'm wondering how much swelling is normal. Also my incisions are hardened and while this might be normal I've heard it can be a sign of infection. How long did they make you wait for a post-op appointment? My surgeon said to come in 6 weeks post-op but I find that to be a very long wait and wonder why they don't do a post-op a week or two afterward, as a preventative measure?

Good luck healing; hope the effect of the antibiotics lessen for you soon!!
I didn't have an infection of the incision area, so I don't have symptoms to share with you. Mine was discovered during a pap smear/pelvic exam and might have been picked up during the hospital stay.  No way to know for sure.  I didn't have the problem before surgery!

Here are my doctor's post-op instructions regarding the incision; these are indicators of infection as well as other complications:

"Call Your Doctor If:  
- You experience more redness, tenderness, or swelling of your incision than when you left the hospital. However, your incision will remain tender and sensitive for several weeks and this is not cause for concern.
- You have drainage from your incision.
- Your temperature is greater than 100.4 degrees.
- You have problems with constipation not relieved by taking a mild laxative such as milk of magnesia.
- You experience severe abdominal pain.
- You have persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- You have any problems with urinating such as hesitancy, frequency, pass small amounts, or burning."