Ovarian Cysts Community
Post-op bruising on vaginal lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Post-op bruising on vaginal lips

I just had a laparotomy this past Wednesday and stayed in the hospital one night and most of the next day. I was under for about 5 hours-longer than they said I was going to be under. At any rate, I have horrible bruising on my right labia majora and swelling on both. Has anyone else experienced that? Were the doctors/nurses just being reckless with a machine? Why do my lips look like testes!?
I would be calling the surgeon's office regarding this.  That is not a traditional side effect of a laparotomy.
I actually experienced this with 2 out of 3 of my surgeries.  My doctor(s) said it was completely normal to bruise/swell because they were in there doing a lot.  Neither of them seemed to be worried though I clearly was (each time).  And...the bruising and swelling went away completely in about 2 weeks.  But if you're still unsure, or notice that its not getting better...you could always call and make sure.
My concern is that with laparotomy, they are working from the exterior/abdominal area, not via vaginal entry.  So why would that area be swollen?  
I did read that they sometimes have to insert something in that area?  I am not sure what and can't remember why.  Oh, it was something to move the uterus if it is in the way?  Read more on it, but I would start by calling if it is that bad.  Hope you feel better!
I believe they insert an instrument vaginally in order to raise the uterus to give them more room to manuever during the procedure.