Ovarian Cysts Community
Post-op bruising on vaginal lips
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post-op bruising on vaginal lips

I just had a laparotomy this past Wednesday and stayed in the hospital one night and most of the next day. I was under for about 5 hours-longer than they said I was going to be under. At any rate, I have horrible bruising on my right labia majora and swelling on both. Has anyone else experienced that? Were the doctors/nurses just being reckless with a machine? Why do my lips look like testes!?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I would be calling the surgeon's office regarding this.  That is not a traditional side effect of a laparotomy.
Blank
1187318_tn?1266388082
I actually experienced this with 2 out of 3 of my surgeries.  My doctor(s) said it was completely normal to bruise/swell because they were in there doing a lot.  Neither of them seemed to be worried though I clearly was (each time).  And...the bruising and swelling went away completely in about 2 weeks.  But if you're still unsure, or notice that its not getting better...you could always call and make sure.
Blank
My concern is that with laparotomy, they are working from the exterior/abdominal area, not via vaginal entry.  So why would that area be swollen?  
Blank
I did read that they sometimes have to insert something in that area?  I am not sure what and can't remember why.  Oh, it was something to move the uterus if it is in the way?  Read more on it, but I would start by calling if it is that bad.  Hope you feel better!
Blank
I believe they insert an instrument vaginally in order to raise the uterus to give them more room to manuever during the procedure.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...