Ovarian Cysts Community
Posting again, need advice.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Posting again, need advice.

I'm reposting this hoping someone will see it and help me out a little bit.

by Chellllseamarie, Dec 06, 2014
Hi, I'm 18 years old and I have a history of having ovarian cysts. My doctor put me on birth control around a year ago, but I stopped taking it around three months ago due to my body's negative reaction to it. Since I stopped taking it, i believe my cysts have returned. Some days I am unable to move because of the pain. I have not had my period since September, but I am not showing any of the signs of pregnancy. I'm 5 feet tall and weigh around 105. My body hasn't changed. I recently looked up PCOS and saw that I shared many of the symptoms. Also I have found a small, hard knot behind the opening of my cervix. Ovarian cysts, ovarian cancer, and endometriosis are something that has occurred in my family many times. I am terrified. I have made an appointment at my gynecologist (sp?) but I have to have a referral to see them. My appointment is in 6 days and I don't know any doctors around where I now live to receive a referral. I am curious to know if others have had these symptoms and what did they turn out to be.

Thank you,
Chelsea
Question are you peeing frequently? Due your bladder feel full often? Also are you getting back pain?
I meant does...
I did have endometriosis before I got pregnant with my son and my gynecologist prescribed birth control pills to regulate my period. I was told to come back in case the brand of pills she gave me will not work well with my system  but it did. I was also informed that getting pregnant and delivering a baby can help in removing the cysts as the doctor also scrapes the cervix off any residue from the delivery. I gave birth to my son 2 years ago through a Caesarean Section and my gynecologist did remove the small cysts on my cervix. However, she told me that they will possibly grew back again as cysts are common to women and I should continue with the birth control pills. So I did follow her.

Your gynecologist will give you another brand of birth control pills until you found one that suits you. With regards to the referral, based on my experience, you have to consult a gp first for your complaints. Only after evaluating your condition will the gp refer you to a specialist. So I suggest that you go to a gp first.
If you have PCOS, then you are likely to have the hallmark "string of beads" appearing cysts on your ovaries. These would not be cancerous cysts. Also, typically ovarian cancer does not present with cysts on BOTH ovaries. Birth control pills can be effective at keeping these cysts from forming or growing as well as regulating the cycle (especially important in women with PCOS who tend to skip periods due to lack of ovulations).  

If you have blood relatives who have had ovarian cancer, then you may be at increased risk. But since the ovaries produce hormones into a woman's 80's for good health, their removal increases risk for a number of health problems. So it is important to know if you are at increased risk and the specific risk percentage before considering surgical removal of an ovary or ovaries. BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutation testing is the screening tool used to assess risk for ovarian and breast cancer. Women who are not BRCA1 or 2 positive typically have a less than 2% lifetime risk for ovarian cancer.  
Thank you so much. I don't pee excessively, so I would say it's normal. The cysts appear on my right ovary. It turns out my appointment is Friday, so I should know what's wrong by then. The knot on my cervix has also gone away, so that's a good thing. Thank you again for your comments!