Ovarian Cysts Community
Pre-Op Appt-- Important Questions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Pre-Op Appt-- Important Questions?

Hi, all!

I don't think I've been asking enough questions throughout this process, and my pre-op appt today is really my last chance to really ask my Ob/gyn anything important before the surgery Friday (outpatient laparoscopic surgery to remove a 6cm complex cyst from my left ovary).  I know I want to make sure he only removes the cyst unless it truly is medically necessary to remove anything more (ovary, fallopian tube, etc), and I also want to make sure that he does a frozen section (even though now I'm wondering if I should have asked to see a gynecolological oncologist instead).  Is there anything else I should ask?  Also, do they typical do another ultrasound at the pre-op appointments to see if there have been changes?  Based on my symptoms, I don't think the cyst has shrunk (if anything, it seems like it must be bigger based on my discomfort and occasional pain), but on the off chance it has, I guess that could change our plans? Any insight you might have as I go forward with the pre-op appt at the doc and the hospital today would be most appreciated.  Thanks once again!
Well, surprisingly, I won't be getting surgery after all! :)  At my pre-op appt with my doctor today, after going over all the surgery details and asking all my questions (and even, unfortunately being weak and wimpy, reluctantly agreeing to my doctors rationale for planning to remove the whole ovary), as I was about to leave to go to the hospital, I said, "I have one more question. .. today at the hospital pre-open or even just on Friday morning  before the incisions are made, do they/you do one lady ultrasound our something, just  in case there are changes?" He said that they/he didn't but reiterated that a  large complex cyst with the composition/features of mine would rarely just go away.... but, he said, if it helps you feel better about the surgery, let's see if the (in-office) ultrasound tech can squeeze us in for a quick peek. Soooooo, she was able to do it and my left ovary had no cyst! :)  She thought at first that it must've been the right ovary and the doc or original tech had mixed it up, because I do have a cyst on my right ovary, but it is simple and a little less than 4cm. She pulled up the previous scan and shouted me the differences.  The doctor was really surprised and said he'd cancel the surgery (of course LOL) and instead have me come back in 2 months just  to make sure all's well.

I'm relIeved, especially since I was not comfortable with the ovary being removed after the advice from you all her.  I had already made a ton of arrangements for the surgery/recovery, all I feel a little silly having to tell folks at work and such LOL but I know that's dumb. .. this is great news.  :)

Thanks, y'all, for the advice and insight!  I've learned a lot and well be much more informed should I find myself in this position again (and if i am, I will seek out a gynecological oncologist who has a reputation for saving ovaries whenever possible). Wishing you all the best!
LUCKY YOU!!! And smart and assertive of you to ask for that u/s! I am SO glad to hear this!!!
Thank you so much!  You've definitely taught me a lot and made me a much better advocate for my health, and I will carry that with me if I have such problems again... I really do appreciate it! :)  I wish you well.... take care!
You're welcome! Hopefully, you will "pay it forward" and make a difference for other women who are at risk of losing organ(s). :)

We need to greatly reduce the overuse of hysterectomy and oophorectomy for the next generation. Education of women and girls seems to be the only way that this will happen (at least for now). Nothing seems to be changing in medical schools or hospitals (they have too much money to lose!).