Ovarian Cysts Community
Provera for hemorrhagic cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Provera for hemorrhagic cyst?

I recently had a transvaginal ultrasound done revealing a 7.5 cm hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary. I was given a treatment of Provera once a day for 10 days to see if it helped to dissolve it.  If it does not then she said my next option would be removal through surgery.  I am in alot of pain and she wants to keep giving me anti inlammatory's which aren't making the cyst any smaller and helping with the pain. So at this point I am 3 days into the Provera, still in pain, and actually hurting a little worse than I was when I went to see her.  Now it is hurting just to walk. I am suppopsed to be within my ovulation time frame right now so I'm wondering if that is what's making it hurt worse or is it getting bigger and not even dissolving at all?  I can't find a reference to treatment of this sort of cyst that relates to Provera. Am I being given the proper treatment to try to make it dissolve itself, or is it just sitting there getting bigger?
Pain is often from the fluid leakage from a cyst.  It gathers in the pelvic cavity in places where fluid is not a normal thing to have and the body must reabsorb it.  Any fluid hurts, but it seems blood hurts even more.  I think that is what you are experiencing.  I do hope it means the cyst is resolving.  It is a slow process, at least slower than anyone has the patience to tolerate.  Do you have a followup appointment with your doctor scheduled for this yet?
Thank you, this makes me feel like I shouldn't worry as much. She never mentioned that the leakage would cause pain, I just assumed that the smaller it got the less pain I would experience. I hope you are correct.  And yes I do have a follow up on March 9th.  Thanks again for your insight. :)