Ovarian Cysts Community
Question about 'Normal' Ovary Size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Question about 'Normal' Ovary Size

I don't know that this question is really even important, but I just found it curious. I had a T/V ultrasound a few weeks ago and found I have a 5cm cyst lurking there. My CA125 was 12, so we're just going to watch it and do another U/S on Aug 21.

However, the more I read my report, the more questions I have! It says that my right ovary (the one without the cyst) is 3.3 cm x 2.8 cm x 2.3 cm. However, the left one measures 5.0 cm x 3.5 cm x 4.6 cm AND has a 5 cm hypoechoic cystic mass projecting off of it.

So it looks like even without the cyst, my left ovary is quite a bit larger than the other one. Do they swell up from the irritation of the cyst or is it just a coincidence?

This has just been the strangest experience for me, especially with my mom going through OVCA at the same time. I have always ignored my body unless it's really screaming at me, and now I'm wondering about every twinge.

Deep breath.....I'll be OK. :-)
Hi Beyond,
     A normal post-period ovary measures 2.5-5 cm in length, and 1.5 to 3 cm. in width and depth. The US techniches have improved but on the ovary with the cyst, it is still an estimate but required measurement to give the surgeon an idea of how to proceed with removal.  It's good to ask questions so keep em coming!  MV
keep watching your cysit i just had one that was removed here is a link to what became of my http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2isf96r&s=4 and i only knew about it for about 3 weeks total before i had to get it removed so be carefull
hello...I jsut want to know about your age when u got this cyst...
you know, i am still 17 yrs old and when I got the ultra sound result, it has been found out that i got this ovarian cyst but i dont know about the size... Myovary is mcuh bigger of yours...the right one is 4x7x5 and the left is 3x4x4...I dont know about this but doctors want to have the opeartion..
I was nine when I was diagnosed and it was only found because my mum had to take me to the docs because everyone kept saying that I was pregnant (AT 9 HELL NO!!!) so she had to do something about it because it is not normal for a 9yr old with a healthy diet and that loved playing sports and running around all day to look 6months pregnant. Being so young when it started means my ovaries never grew full size but I have still managed to have one DS that I cherish like nothing else as I know he will most likely be my only child. I currently have a 1cm cyst on my right ovary and have bugger loads of scarring because mine wont dissolve and just pop instead and also many smaller cysts, they kinda look like chokitos they have so many cysts (obviously not that colour though)
Hi,  Im 22 yrs old ,an What is the normal ovary size?

I have just had an ultrasound for irregular periods and my results have come back with the following:

The uterus us slightly heterogeneous but normal size and shape with endometrial thickness of 12mm. There are cystic spaces within the endometrial lining suggestive of endometrial hyperplasia. In addition there is what appears to be a 2cm polypoidal lesion within the endometrium, which i think is just a spectrum of part of endometrial hyperplasia.

Both ovaries are enlarged with a volume on the right measuring 11.2cc and the volume on the left measuring 15.7cc with multiple peripheral follicular cysts and hyperchoic stroma. The apperances are consistant with PCO.

Can anyone break it down for me!! what is the normal measurement of an ovary, and what does it all mean.
I am having surgery done next month to remove a cyst and to access wether is cancerous or not. I am not sure but my c???? marker is slightly elevated and my last resent pap smear test result was false positive and false negative. Not sure what that means but my doctor suggest we rule out any abnormality.  I am very nervous especially having the thought I may loose both ovary and the other horrible stories about the process etc.  I want to start a family next and I am praying everything goes on smoothly without having any complicstions