Ovarian Cysts Community
Questions before surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Questions before surgery

Hi ladies.  My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday but of course I'm riding a roller coaster because I have too much time to think.  I have a 10cm mass on the right ovary.

When I met with the surgeon, he went through the MRI with me.  He said he doesn't think it's malignant.  He tossed out a lot of things like dermoid cyst, calcifying endometrioma, LMP, or just a plain benign mass.  He also said it could be a pendulated fibroid that is deteriorating (based on the what looks like the inside of it).

My question is based on what I've read on these forums.  It seems that doctors are able to tell what the masses are from MRIs and sonograms -- if they're cysts, etc?  If this is true, I'm wondering why my doctor isn't sure?  I'm not questioning the doctor (I have a lot of confidence in him) but I'm just wondering.

When I went to my primary care for med clearance, he also brought up the endometrioma possibility and said that "these guys" know what they're looking at and if they thought it was serious I would have had the operation sooner and the gyn onc would be doing it from the beginning (he's going to be on call).

Just wondering what everyone else thinks.  They did finally order a CA-125 but I haven't gotten the results (not sure I'm going to ask).

I understand about the waiting.  You're right, too much time to think.

I think that your doctor may not be suspecting cancer based on your symptoms as a whole.  When he can get in there and see what's what then it'll be more clear but they will do a biopsy of your cyst while you're out and go from there.  Sometimes pictures and scans don't fully show what things are.

It's good that an ONC will on call, just in case.

When your CA results come in they will probably call you.  It can take a week or so.

There is a Cyst Forum that you are welcome to post on.  Please come over there and visit us.

Take care.

I think you're in good hands and are being given good advice. I also think that the Dr's can have a pretty good idea what is going on by Ultrasounds, etc., but they can never be absolutely sure until they do the surgery. If it is a cyst, take heart in that they are common, and 95 % benign, even in older women .. not that you're that old, but as compared to 20.. LOL . Try not to worry and keep us posted.. (and try not to read too much.. you can really drive yourself nuts... )

Take care,
Sandy
Thanks to both of you.  And you're right -- I have to stop reading.  I love the internet, but definitely TMI.

I think what I really need is some nice wine and maybe some prozac :0))
It is normal to feel a little apprehensive before your surgery.  The other ladies are spot on.  Reading to much can make you  a nervous wreck.  It sounds like your doctor is on the ball and he can't say for sure what the cyst is until they get a biopsy of the cyst.  I suggest that you take some time for yourself before your surgery and do something that makes you feel good ( a manicure, pedicure, new haircut....).  THis will help you relax and take your mind off of stuff for a bit.  Good luck and please keep us posted.  Kasie
I agree; doctors can get an idea of what kind of cyst they are dealing with, but can't be 100% sure until it comes out. Unless it's fluid filled, they take the best educated guess based on their findings and go from there. Oh, I understand your concerns, honey! I've been there too! Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers!