Questions to ask, Oncologist/GYN appointment!
Hi all: thanks to all of you, I asked for and received a referral to an Oncologist/GYN, there are only two in our medical group and that appointment is coming up mid October. I received a call from a medical Concierge who arranged it all. Wow, eh?

Other than the normal who, what, when, where, why and how questions about my right ovary cyst AND seeing how my uterine lining is, anything you'd recommend I ask or discuss, I am menopausal and my former GYN was concerned about the every now and then bleeding the last year, my last period being around a year ago. My current GYN is concerned about my right ovary being covered by a cyst.

Thanks for being there, it surely means a lot.
I'd say write down your questions so you don't forget what to ask.

I guess the biggest questions would be regarding treatment options.  If you were referred, chances are they are thinking some type of surgery may be needed or if the gyn/onc thinks surgery can be avoided or delayed ("wait and see").  

If surgery, then the questions would revolve around what type and how much to remove.  What the doctor wants to do is not necessarily the only answer.  A lot has to do with how much you are willing to have him do.

If you are menopausal, for instance, and he wants to remove one ovary, he likely will want to remove both of them (if an ovary goes, so does the corresponding tube).  There's two arguments to that (1) why remove the other if there's nothing wrong with it (2) there's a much greater chance the second one will develop problems at a later date if one already has done so and loss of it now will not change your life in any great way.

If the uterus has a history of problems, the doctor may recommend full or partial hysterectomy of the uterus along with removal of ovary/tubes.

The type of surgery could be laparoscopic or laparotomy.  There's a lot of info on this board about both procedures.

You'll want to tell him all about any allergies, bad reactions to medicines, and any other medical issues and concerns the doctors may not know.  Every time you talk to a doctor for the first time, you have to repeat this stuff over and over agan.  Don't expect them to catch it in whatever records the referring doctor sent them.

Any type of surgery will have a laundry list of things you need to do before, and things you need to do after, for a safe surgery and effective recovery.  Follow those directions faithfully.  There are important reasons behind each and every one of them.
Thanks for this, I've put it in my notes as I prepare. One concern I have always had with regards to any surgery is the amount of drugs they use, I am a lightweight and a simple procedure usually takes me up to 3 months to get my energy back. I tell them this but they just load me me with more and more drugs.

Is there some way you can have procedures without being put completely under and/or is that recommended?
I think some ladies have had this done without being put to sleep.  Hopefully they will respond to your question.  They still use some kind of drugs, though, to numb you (i.e. spinal, epidural).  I'd be way too nervous to be awake for this sort of thing, but that's me.  When you're sleeping, it seems like the whole process is done in seconds.  When you're awake, it's hours.  
Unfortunately , as long as I've been on the forum, I've not heard of anything "local" for this type of procedure if you mean a laparotomy OR laparoscopy.  This is still surgery.. I wouldn't want to be awake under any circumstance.. There may be some rare instance when a local would be advised, but not usually.
Hi Sandymac and all: thanks! And I actually end up having an appointment beginning of September, your suggestions would be most appreciated. Truth be told, the last time I was totally awake for something (wisdom teeth), that wasn't fun!