Ovarian Cysts Community
Recovery after ovary removal surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Recovery after ovary removal surgery?

I am 41 with a strong family history of cancer. My mother had breast AND kidney cancer, and I recently lost my father to metastatic colorectal cancer. That being said, after having pain in the area of my left ovary, an ultasound found that I have "something" growing on my left ovary. A repeat ultrasound showed that it is growing, and I was giving the choice to leave it and "watch it" or have it removed. I did have a CA-125 blood test, which was "normal". However, given my experience with cancer, I feel it best to have my ovary removed and pathology done on the cyst/dermoid/mass growing on my ovary. To those of you who have had this surgery performed, I really would love to hear from the patients experience on what to expect during the recovery period. Thanks!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hiya i had a 10cm mass and my right ovary removed 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. I went into hospital the night before for a pre op assesment and went down to theatre at 11am the last time i remember seing the clock was 11.20am and i came round at 2pm. The surgeon tried to  do it thru the camera in my belly button but wasnt able to and had to cut me along my bikini line to remove them. I wont say it isnt painful because it is when you wake (although the pain killers soon sort that out) i had my catheter and drain removed on the saterday morning (operaion was thursday) and i started walking around sat the nurses also helped me to shower that day i went home sunday and over the past 2 weeks have got a bit better every day im now feeling 80% better and im pleased i had it out. Havent had any results from biopsy and its been 18 days but im only 23 and so they didnt think it was anything anyway so just need that confirming.

When is yor surgery? You will be fine and once back up on your feet will be pleased its out.

Good luck and take care xxx
Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like your on the mend, great! This will be my first surgery, even though they call it a laparotomy, it's still out of my comfort zone! My surgery is next Thursday, and I have a consultation with an anestheologist and my surgeon this Wed. It's been 18 days and no pathology report? How long did they say it would take?
they said it would take 5-10 days and they would let me know if there was a problem so im really hoping there isnt since they havent been in touch.

Good luck you will be fine xxx
Hello -
I had an 8cm endometriosis removed along with my left ovary through laparotomy (vertical incision) at the beginning of January.  It was my first surgery too, and while I was nervous about it, I must say having that monster out of my body was worth it.  I was in the hospital overnight, went home the next day and was in quite a lot of pain during the first week...it took a lot of coaxing from my mom to get me to stand and walk, but everyday was significantly better than the one before. Being a fairly active person I got frustrated about my limitations but give yourself time and just know that you will recover and feel better than ever.   Anything else specific you were wondering about the recovery/surgery?  Keep us updated!  Best, Libby
I had a laparotomy to remove a 30 cm ovarian cyst 6 weeks ago.  Yes, 30 cm!  It weighed 20 pounds and had over 6 litres of fluid in it.  They made a midline incision from my ribcage to below my belly button, about 11 inches, so it was a pretty major cut.  I was also 22 weeks pregnant at the time, so it was kinda scary.  My baby and I made it out just fine though.  I remember coming to in the recovery room and panicking a little because my throat was so sore and I couldn't swallow.  I felt like I was choking.  But they swabbed my tongue and I felt fine after that, then I realised I was in quite a bit of pain from the incision and I told them so they must have given me more drugs because it went away.  I had an epidural as well as general anesthesia, but I don't know if that is typical.  I think it may have been so I wouldn't have to have morphine because of the baby.  My partner stayed a few nights in the hospital with me and that was a huge help.  I had a lot of nausea every time I would get up and walk around and he was always there to help, handing me something to get sick in then taking it away and giving me a facecloth and a drink of water.  He was better than any of the nurses working there (or maybe just not as busy.)  Altogether it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.  Moving around was hard at times and getting settled in when I would lie down was a bit painful, but once I was lying still for a while it was fine. You have to hold a pillow over your stomach when you cough or sneeze or whatever, even laughing was kinda hard.  I found that just giving myself the time to recover was the hardest because I wanted to get back to my routine after a couple of weeks.  You start to feel better and think you're all healed but when you try to do something you realise you still have a ways to go.  So, be patient with yourself.  Try to find someone who is patient and compassionate that will help you with housework or whatever.  Don't feel guilty for taking it easy and getting the rest you need.  Good luck!!
I had surgery in feb. for a small dermoid cyst, was in the hospital at 7 a.m. back home at 4. Took one pain pill in the evening and that was it. Discomfort from gas between shoulders, nothing bad just did not expect that. Waiting for the surgery was worse then the surgery...Best of luck to you! Hugs :)
Hey McAudrey,

I had a mass removed along with my left ovary a few years ago. It was a big 4 lb benign mucinous (filled with junk) mass.

The surgery was done via C-section and my recovery time was probably a week before I felt up to going to college classes and what not.  I have to admit that for a year I didn't feel the same.  The tumor had pushed my organs all out of whack and the doctor said it would take time for them to come back into place and it did.

Like you I have a history with my sister Brittany having ovarian cancer and passing away from it.

I would definitely have the mass removed and do not "wait and watch".  

love,
megan
www.ovariancancerforum.com
www.brittanywaldrep.com
Oh, I wanted to add, I didn't get my pathology back for over a month.  I had the surgery on the 23rd of March I think, and the doctor didn't call until the last day of April.  My cyst was serous (liquid filled) though and was very low risk so that may be why it took so long.  They had to remove it completely just to be sure and because I was pregnant and they didn't want to take the chance of leakage.  Also because it was gigantic and the baby couldn't grow properly.  The gyne-onc said they wouldn't know for sure what kind of cyst it was until it was out and they could examine it and that even if it was a serous cyst the fluid inside would be caustic and could cause peritonitis and possibly premature labour.  I wasn't given much of a choice in the matter but altogether I'm SO glad to have it out.  I feel so much better now.  I hope you feel better soon too.
Can you tell me the results of your one ovary removal surgery? Have you had recurrence of endometrioma? Are you on oral contraceptives?

OMG I am so happy I found you guys!!!  I am scheduled for surgery Wednesday to have my ovary removed and fallopian.  They are going to do the biopsy on the spot while I am open god for bid it is cancer they are going to have to do a full hysterectomy.

Needless to say IM TERRIFIED...The problem is I know too much about ovarian cancer, I have a business that helps cancer patients deal with the appearance related side effects from cancer treatments such as hairloss etc, and ovarian cancer is soooooooooooooooooooooo scary...

My tumor is solid but they do not know what it is, the gyno says he feels 97% its not but 1/2 percent is too much when dealing with ovarian.

So your in pain,,,,are you walking???

roxanne
Hi everyone
I had a 10cm chocolate cyst removed from my left ovary on weds afternoon along with endo lesions from my bowel (out of hospital by thurs pm).
It was my 1st operation so i was a little scared of what was going to happen.
But for anyone who is about to go through with the surgery it's not as bad as you will think.
General anaestic was fine(thank god i wasn't sick).
I was originally down for a laporotomy but the surgeon decided to do it laporoscopically with due to my age (26) leaves fewer scars.
I have 4 small incisions very small , 1 goes into my belly button.
Recovery is slow for me though, i feel about 100 at the minute, the pain isn't the problem it just that you cant use your stomach muscles. You will feel very battered and bruised.
Apparently i can return to work in 1 wk but i doubt that at the mo!
Before the cyst was removed i would get terrible pains and it took ages to get it diagnosed so i'm so relieved it has been removed life goes on now!
Please dont worry if having surgery soon. Kat xxx
I am 26 years old. I been battleing wit cysts on my left ovary now for about 6 years total. I would have them removed about every 2 years. The pain is insane at times. You all should know what I am talking about. Well I am going into surgery in one day. At first the doctor was just gonna remove it again but I decided enough was enough and I told him to just remove the ovary which he said he planned on doing as well anyway. So I guess it worked out well. I have had laproscopy's before for just the removel (removal) on the cyst. But what is the diffrence in the suregery when removeing the ovary? also is it one day? How long is recovery? My other one's were one day surgery's and very small incesions. And not much pain or discomfort. So I would love if someone could let me know. Also after having one ovary removed. Does your body change...like moods....periods.....etc......Thanks to anyone would could help me!
Hi...my name is Rozanne..and Iam 32 years old .. I was only discharged 3 hours ago from the hospital after having my right ovary with a giant cyst sitting on it removed via laparotomy. I can honestly say..this was scarry....I prayed and my friends and family supported me all through this time ...especially my boyfriend S.....he is teriific and the nicest guy u will ever wanna meet. Anyho...i had the same type of surgery done 4 yrs ago after my doc found a small one sitting on my left ovary...now the frightening thing is that they found one on the left and now the right....and this has me confused..i just need to know y they are returning like this...I dont have any kids yet ...but plan 2 really soon ...as though it seems as though i dont have much time in which to do this..
what do u guys think of this situation ...I tried the alternative method of treatment ..but this proved unsucccessful ...how can i regain some sense of normalcy in my life again?...
H...E...L...P
hi everyone!! just wanting to know if after having an ovary removed by surgrery are you out of the hospital the same day?

thanks Shannon
I had surgery (laproscopic) on 12/28 to remove both ovaries and the 2 cm cysts on them.  The path report finally came back a couple of days ago and the tumors turned out to be benign...thank God!  My surgery was outpatient....I was home the evening of surgery.  I had previously found that morphine doesn't touch pain for me and maybe this is why they did an epidural/spinal block.  I only took pain pills for 24 hours after getting home.  I have 2 very small incisions to either side and the biggest incision was from top to bottom of belly button.  I only took off the day of surgery (a Friday) and Monday...Tuesday was a holiday so I got to stay home that day too.  I went back to work on Wednesday and was fine.  I feel so much better to be free of pain and worry!  I didn't do anything the day after surgery but the following day I was up and around doing stuff around the house....I know I probably shouldn't have but I didn't lift anything heavy and still am not.  My belly button is still a little sore although almost completely healed now.  The pain was really not bad at all for me, but everyone is different.

Best of luck to you!
Lynn:)
I am a 25 year old female in fairly good health and just had a 3 in by 3 in(yes I said 3 inches by 3 inches) cyst removed from my right ovary on Friday, January 11, 2008.  I have been on birth control since I was about 14 for heavy periods.  I was traveling a lot and decided for 2 months (Aug & Sept) not to take my birth control but then went right back on it).  I went for an ultrasound on 9/21/07 and NO cysts.  In the middle of October, I went for my annual checkup and my doctor didn't feel anything.  I am just baffled that the type of cyst (corpus luteum) I had grew so fast.  Secondly, it's so rare to get cysts when you are on birth control since you don't ovulate.  Has anyone every had this type of cyst grow so fast?  Also, there seems to be a lump on the right side around the surgery area, is that normal swelling?

Hello all... I am 39 and had my  surgery on 1/04...I'm so glad I found this website! It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and I have to say, all is well. My ovary was removed- My question is this...does anyone know if I will need estrogen...like the pill? I am getting night sweats and I am...frankly, a little "off center" lately...Is this only in my mind? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Hi shannon...yes...I was...I had mine removed "laproscopic"( I have NO idea how to spell that), but I was in hospital at 6am and at home by noon...HOWEVER...I was IN BED for 3-4 days...(meaning: walking only to the bathroom,etc...) and I moved pretty slowly for a couple of weeks...Has your doctor mentioned any after effects? I'm not sure if I will need the pill or any other hormones- will our other ovary just "kick in?" Good luck on your surgery- you will be just fine...trust me.

First of all, to Marie3382 I am sorry but I don't have information to give you, but the people on this site are awesome and someone may be able to answer you, or actually, you might want to post again but start a new thread. I see these questions are attached to a post from last Spring. That would not make a huge difference really but why not start a new question/post. Also, that might bring more attention to your question.

And, while I think of it, to the recent posters, why not go blue? just go to the profile section on this site and enter as much or as little information as you want. It makes it sooo nice and easy to connect with others and to leave messages if you want. You can share info about yourself or say very little, but it is a nice way to feel a part of the community.

Travanboo, I wondered if you still have one remaing ovary left. Ok...may be a dumb question since you mentioned having an ovary out, and so logically you would have one left, no? Just checking. But, just know that any trauma to the body or any stress, etc, is going to cause some hormonal upheaval in most women, but I do understand your frustration not knowing for sure what is going on. I had everything taken out in 2000 and I do mean everything and not a word was said to me about the hormonal impact. In my case the oncologist put on a bioidentical estrogen patch the day after surgery and that was it. I had to do a ton of research to find out that I also needed testosterone and bio Progesterone just to feel better. But, in your case, once you have had time to heal and recover that other ovary should pick up the slack, so to speak.

I am the product of a couple (my Mom and Day :)) with only one ovary....but realizing you did not ask about fertility, again, that other ovary should take good care of you.

I do suggest you do some research (as you are now) and pick up some more information just in case things don't go as you have planned...in other words, what if in a few months you are not feeling like your old self?  Check out my Profile (just click on my name) and check out a few resources that might be helpful for you.

Good luck,

Mary
OK....Obviously I meant Mom and DAD :))   I have to start editing my work better and I do need to go to bed....

Night all!

Mary
Thank you thank you for your words...I feel as if I have joined a group...How nice...Thanks...I will search the site more to "turn blue" lol...and will sit patiently and wait for my other ovary to kick in...I'm trying VERY hard not to be "OVA-SENSITIVE" get it?
OH....and a Someone who likes to make PUNS!!!!!!   I knew I liked you :)
I work with troubled Youth and it is so neat when they start coming up to me with word plays they have invented. Very cool and fun!

I think you are blue now....good for you. I resisted for awhile and I am not sure why I even resisted. But, now that I am blue (!) I certainly see the advantages. It is especially nice for this site since when you are hormonally challenged as I and others are from time to time even if supplementing with hormonal help, but for some of the wonderful women here who are on chemotherapy, it can be frustrating because the treatments often cause memory and focus problems. So it is so nice to just hit the blue, so to speak, and that helps to recall who has posted....you know, what their story is.

Thank you for posting back. Nice to know you saw this. I appreciate it!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I might be able to help or at least point out a few more resources. Or leave a message on my profile.

NOW....Now I am off to bed.

Sincerely, Mary
Hi, I'm also new to this site.  I have had a total of 15 surgerys in 15 years.  I have a partial ovary that has functioned for the last 5 years.  It is true after a few days 4-5 they will kick in and start working.  Next week I will me having the remaining ovary removed along with bladder and urethea sling.  I have had severe pelvic floor pain and pain that radiates down inter thights, and low back pain  pressure when standing or sitting for any length of time.  I have urgent bladder pressure for the last 6 years.  I had problems with retained placenta and pelvic congestion (variciou veins) which led to a hysterectomy 5 years ago.  Things did improve, however I still have had this pain I decribed since than.  My urologist said I have a prolapsed bladder, he is waiting to do surgery on that until after this next surgery.  I'am discouraged thinking of going through another surgery!  Has anyone had anything similiar,
I had my right ovary removed laproscopically on Friday via outpatient surgery.  While I do not have any pain, and have stopped all meds, I find that I am continuously nauseous.  Any thoughts?  It is driving me nuts.. Thanks....
Hi, I had a hysterectomy on Jan. 22 with part of my left ovary removed due to a cyst. I also had endometriosis. The other day, April 11 I started bleeding. I called the dr. and they told me to come in on Mon. The dr. done an ultrasound and found a 4 cm cyst and a lot of fluid on my left ovary. I'm scheduled to have my left ovary removed on tomorrow, Wed.
I'm wondering if I should have my right one removed also. This will make my 4th surgery since 2006. I just want to get back to a normal life without all the pelvic pain. Has anyone had such a problem as this and would like to share their experience with me?
Hi I had a 6 cm cyst and my right ovary and tube removed on April 4th. I have endo and this was my second surgery in 5 months. I was really scared this time the cyst was semisolid but than God the biopsies were normal. The surgery itself isn't bad just take it easy afterwards. You are in my thoughts and prayers hope all goes well for you!  Take care Love Marie
I am having a 8cm cyst removed from my left ovary tmrw morning.. my Dr is also removing the left ovary and fallopian tube at the same time. I am scared...not sure what to expect after surgery? This "tumor" was found only 2 weeks ago, so I'm feeling slightly panicked about things happening so quickly. I had C-125 blood tests done , and have yet to get the results? Dr is confident the cyst is benign and is a serous/ mucinous cyst.

My husband and I are trying to have children( have been for 6 mths) I know the Dr said this surgery wont affect my chances of getting pregnant , in fact he assures me it will help?

Any comments... or words of advice for post op?
I had my right ovary removed on June 20th due to cyst. I had out patient surgery.   I really do not have a lot of pain.  I have no energy and my head feels cloudy.  Does anyone know how long does it take to feel normal?
I had 7.7cm cyst removed 6/23...still having some pain and skin around stapes is getting red...should I be concerned?  Pan is much better....no Percacet today so far!  1st day narcodic free!  I go back to removed stapes on 7/3 and to hopefully get final pathology confirming benign status.
I had a tumor and ovary removed a year and a half ago.  I got out the same day and was feeling pretty good in a few days.  6 months later at 38 years old I ended up pregnant.  I guess having one ovary removed kicked the other one into gear!  
don't be concerned about the red - that is the healing.  It will feel so good once those staples are out!  So glad you're coming along well.

Take care,
Trudie
Thank you soo much for all of your information.
I have had endometriosis since i was 15 ..
I thought i was alone this whole time. I have already
had a lapriscopic surgery when i was 22 to clean out
the Endometrosis and Ovarian Cysts.
Although there was one cyst/tumor growing in the fallopin
tube at the entrance of the Ovary my doctor had left
it cause he thought that shots and birth control
would possibly reduce the cyst size and it would flush
out.. Well no luck.. so Now I  am in consistent pain
and will need to schedule surgery for a left ovary and fallopin
tube removal. The only horrible thing I remember from the 1st
surgery is the Gas in Shoulders.. Can you say OUCH!
so Wish me luck I will soon be pain less and I am just counting
down the DAYs =D
Hi all,I had a large dermoid cyst removed along with my right ovary and tube,on 7th july,I am now 3 weeks post op and still dont feel myself,I went to a&e on 5th with really bad pains and i mean bad,went to theatre on 7th,came home on 9th thinking well thats it now,its out of me I can get back to normal,how wrong was I.
        I was bleeding heavy after op,which nobody explained this would happen,I am tired all the time,still getting pains in my lower back and pelvic area,could someone tell me if this is normal,ive been very moody lately,which then makes me feel guilty towards my family.My husband has been so supportive and understanding but I get this niggly selfish voice in my head saying "you cant understand unless your a woman going through this"I know it does sound selfish,but im just so frustrated,i have so many questions unanswered,how long will i feel like this?,when do i go back to see doctor?why am I so moody and tired?,why do i get hot sweat just at night?,can anyone help please,any advice would be greatly welcome,I just want my life back for myself and my family.thanks for taking the time to read my troubles.
i have a 10 cm cyst on my ovarie i have to meet with the doctor thursday to decide if i need the bikin cut surgery or the the thing with the camera im like really scared:(
Do you definitely have to have it removed? Have you had a second opinion?  I have a 3.3cm cyst on my left ovary but had it last year and it shrunk after two months. Now, it's back again and I'm hoping it's a hormonal thing. I'm getting a second opinion on Sept. 8th.  I was just curious if you did too...

The best of luck
Ann
a 10 cm  cyst needs to come out,  a scope will let the doc have a good look around,  might save some problems for you later.  the scope incisions are small, recovery is about 2 to 4 weeks,   good Luck  marty
I  had a 7 inch diameter cyst and right ovary removed on mon 1st sept,the op went o.k and I was discharged the day after,I had slight bleeding for around 8 hours and suffered quite a bit of pain in my stomach/back and shoulders,on the Wed 3rd sept I was admitted into an N.H.S hospital due to coughing up blood and slight breathing problems,I had Blood tests, x.rays and cat scans on the wed and Thursday and eventually was released on the Friday ,the diagnosis being Base pneumonia and Traumatic tubelisation,the 1st I put down to being a smoker the 2nd I will find out tomorrow when I return to hospital for my post op consultation,however I seem to recall whilst coming round from the anesetic being told I had to be held down as I was trying to get up?So both my own fault it seems!
       It is now mon 8th sept and I have a niggling pain in my right side lower back and also my stomach is still painful and very swollen,However I do admit to hoovering and cleaning the kitchen floor today (it does my head in sitting around) however I wont be doing It again in a rush.I am 55 and assume It takes longer to recover with age and I really cant see me being back at work for at least another 2 weeks,I will ask my consultant tomorrow if it is normal at my age or is it that I really didn't get much initial recovery time with going back into hospital and having all the tests etc...and having to move beds 4 times in 2 days not much rest at all.
     However I am glad I had the op and hopefully the pain and discomfort I had prior to the op is now gone,one good thing is i haven't smoked since Wed,I realise as you get older op's get more serious and my smoking wont help plus I was scared when i went back into hospital and am now aware that smoking does affect,after smoking for 40+ years If I can do it anyone can,anyhow back to the laporoscopy anyone having one dont be put off however If you do smoke try to at least cut down before the op.
    You might consider starting a new thread since this one is so old. Lots of folks might just disregard it for that reason..

In any event, good luck and keep us posted,

Sandy

I am recovering from Cyst and fallopian tupe surgery this past Wed. I have 15 staples along the bikini line. I am 54. I had a general for the surgery and the epidural that was put in prior to the surgery,the first 24hours. I used that old stand by "lamaze breathing" to control my pain after the epidural came out.I have a minimal amount of pain,but use that as a reminder to limit my activities and not overdo. I walked 1/2 mile in addition to my normal inhouse walking my 1st say home from the hospital. I increased it to a mile today.
Now for the shocker.I was told I had 5cm complex cysts over my right ovary and that the left  ovary had scattered cysts. I had the CA125test, Cat scans, abdom and transvaginal  ultrasounds(4 of them) over 2.5 months.Radiology sent the reports to the Surgeon who performed the surgery based on those "readings". Upon opening me up, the surgeron found that my ovaries were PERFECTLY NORMAL. they were in fact the size of shriveled up raisins( how they should look in a 54 year old).NO CYSTS. My right fallopian tube was enlarged but wasn't a problem( I had no symptons or pain prior to surgery).Soooo,,I am off work for 6 weeks for an unecessary surgery. Please please, get 2nd and 3rd opinions, just because someone has a medical degree,doesn't mean they can't miss something.
Yikes, I'm so sorry you went through all that. So many risks. I'm surprised that they jumped right into surgery with a 5 cm cyst and some other (smaller?) cysts on the left side. 5 cm is kind of on the edge in terms of needing surgery. I don't see in your note how soon the surgery took place after they saw the cysts on US. So many women are told they have cysts and have to go back in 1-3 months to be scanned again.

I agree, it never hurts to get a second opinion. In my case I had a 10 cm cyst (I'm menopausal too). My doctor was going to do an open surgery and remove a bunch of stuff (I have a fibroid too) but she discussed it with another surgeon and changed her plan. She got her own second opinion. I ended up with a laparoscopy and healed up in a week. If only it was so easy for everyone.
I am considering having an ovarian cyst removed--both ovaries too because my sister died of ovarian cancer, and my grandfather and my niece died of colon cancer.  I read somewhere that there can be a connection between colon cancer and ovarian cancer--that is if blood relatives have colon cancer or ovarian cancer, there's more of a chance of someone getting ovarian cancer.  My cyst is probably the size of a quarter.  Two years ago, I had it.  Last year, the ultrasound didn't show it, and now this year it's back again.  What should I do?

StephanieRanger
Hi Steph,
first off, you should begin a new discussion as this one is very old. As far as the cyst issue, yes you are at an increased risk of ovarian cancer with a blood relative that has/had it. Also there is a link between certain types of colon cancer and ovarian cancer. With that said, there are also many cysts that come and go as a result of ovulation. 95% of cysts are benign, but with any family history of ovarian cancer, I would be keeping a close eye on things. Did they tell you what type of cyst you have? Check out the health pages, at the top right of this page and do some reading on the different kinds of ovarian cysts.
Let us know how you are doing
Laney
am needing surgery to remove both ovaries (cyst on the left)  sometime in february.   my concern is how long will it be for me to be up and about.  i will be able to stay with my brother & his family but i will eventually want to go home. i live alone with my cat.   will i be able to manuver stairs & be able to drive a week after surgery???
I had a 4 cm chocolate cyst removed from my left ovary and also half of the ovary removed last Friday. Also, they removed a 4 cm fibroid in the meantime. Not sure which one was causing the pain. I stayed in the hospital for two days and was able to get up and walk to the bathroom myself. It is now Tuesday and am able to walk around the house and up and down stairs to care for myself. Still taking it easy but I would imagine after a week you should be able to get around. I am not up to hitting the gym yet, but can defintely get around by myself.
I just found site...had both ovareries and tubes removed 1/26.. and had uteras removed a couple of years ago...I can tell you each surgery is different...each person is different..take your time...stay off your feet as much as possible..but get up as soon as you can...i know that sounds crazy but if you take your time you will feel better every day and be able to go back to work etc the next week...the pain killers are strong....so be careful to not take them unless you need them...they will make you think you can do more than you should..have others help you and stock up on comfort food...and stool softeners you will need them...
Hi everyone,

I am a  47 year old who had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy on 1/9 for complex ovarian cysts with solid nodules and various other cysts on the ovaries and in fallopian tubes.

I am wondering about hormone replacement....my dr. suggests prempro and I am just curious if anyone has had experience with this drug...there are so many pros and cons....I just felt I would like to hear some feedback.

thank you,
Kate.

This is a wonderful site...
I am 32 now, I have had my right ovary and right fallopian tube removed 5 years ago. Due to a cyst that was a little smaller than a tennis ball. I am not involved intimately with males. I was told I didn't necesarily need birth control to regulate the cysts growth. I think that might have been wrong. Because I have had cysts removed 2 times since that. I have scar tissue all around my belly. I have recently decided I want to have children and was told yesterday thatmy ovary needs to be removed on the 4th. Because now I have an excess of fibroid tumors on my uterus and and all over the ovary. Including a conglomerate of cysts. I ws told kids would be out of the picture for me. This is only if when hes inside and the ovary can be saved in anyway. Then he can give me fertility pills to stimulate and increase the eggs. So they can be fertilized and later invitrod. Does this sound common, someone please help me. I don't want to believe I don't have hope. But I would like some thoughts. It surely makes me envious of the octuplet mother with the extra 6.Let me know ladies....Thank you, NPAG2110
I'm so sorry you are at such a difficult point.  My only suggestion to you is to get more than one opinion.  Perhaps there is a way they could harvest eggs while in there for surgery.

In the future, please create your own new posting when you have a question.  When you add on to an older posting people may believe it is just another response to the original poster and your question may get ignored.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
I'm 39 and I just had Laproscopic surgery on Feb 13, 2009, check in at 5:45am and was home by 4pm. I think I could have stay a night but I had my husband to take care of me at home (thank goodness) I had several cysts removed from across my pelivic area , some chocolate, yellow, and clear in color ( from uterus, colon, intestines & ovaries) and my right ovary and falopiain tube  was removed and my bladder was lifted with a band in placed to hold it up. I also had the lining of my uterus removed and a bunch a scar tissue removed. A lot happening inside of me...It is day 5 and I'm moving around a lot better :). Still very sore and moving slow (hunched over )but feel much better. It really hurts to cough or laugh because everything shakes and I look very swallon. They went through my belly button but then had to do a 2" incision on my biniki line to remove my right ovary. Which was unexpected or planned. I hope by next week I can move or sleep with worrying about the pain. I had to patch for naseau which work very well and had a sore throat but it much better after a day or so. I didn't do well with the pain killer Percochet, so I started taking a half a dose if need to deal with the pain, but then quit taking it completely after the third day and used Aleeve instead because I has was having breathing problems from them. I'm getting antzy sitting around and cant wait to be myself again. I'm not planning on going back to work for another week and half after my Post-Opt Appt.

Best of Luck!
10 cm x 5 cm (almost 4 inches x 2 inches) deltoid cyst and one smaller cyst on the other ovary removed on Feb. 20, 2009 through laparoscopic surgery (about 1 week and 2 days ago) ----
IT WAS MY FIRST SURGERY EVER - I am 52 years old . . .

4 small (1-1.5 inch each) incisions: one for the camera above public bone, two near each of the ovaries for the tools and one through the navel to drag out the ovaries/gunk.

Operation took almost three hours instead of the 1-hour estimate;
The larger cyst had three teeth, one 2.5inch x 1/4 inch bone and
about six 2-3 inch long hairs; they gave me photos of the laparoscopic operation.

Post-Op nurse wanted to release me after 1.5 hours in her care even though I was groggy and didn't understand her at-home care instructions ("You'll have to tell my husband, but I'll sign the paper anyway").
So after putting my feet over the bed and sitting up, like she asked me to,
I told her I wasn't going anywhere and was able to stay for an additional much needed 2-hour rest period.

Throat was achy for about 6 hours after surgery, and I was parched for about 24-30 hours.

The Vicadin prescription of 2 pills every 6 hours makes you constipated-- best to eat 7-10 prunes before and after each meal.

The gas they inject into the belly to make for good workspace area, and the anesthesia,
was like a mega-doze of caffeine-city.
I was bloated for days, and I did not sleep at all for almost 40 hours after the operation.
Even though it was difficult to walk, you need to, in order to have your body rid itself from the gas/anesthesia in your circulation system (veins, lungs, etc).

They give you a "girdle" to wear around your waist, and I wore it for 6 days!

Get as many large pillows as you can in the bed, so can shift from one side to the other, without adjusting the pillows.

Within the first 6-12 hours, you need to rest and NOT MOVE your belly muscles much:  to sit up in bed, lock your arms around your helper's neck who will pull you up to sitting position.

Make sure you have a heating pad with adjustable heat settings and place on your belly, even when you don't need it.

Bedside table needs to be dedicated to just your stuff:
medicines, water (with a straw), TV/VCR remote controls, comb (for those unexpected visitors), large enough for your post-meal dishes.

Set your alarm (either clock or cell phone) for your medicine-taking. It BETTER to be ahead of the pain and not wait until you need it.

After 2 days of vicadin at max. dosage (2 pills very 6 hours),
I started cutting back gradually, e.g.,  1 vicadin every 6 hours;
then after two more days,   1 vicadin every 8 hours.
after 2 more days, 1 vicadin every 9 -10 hours.
After a week after surgery, I did not have to use vicadin anymore.
I am now just taking the motrin every 6-8 hours (only as needed)
and think I could be back at my desk next Friday, 2 weeks after surgery,
but since it is FRIDAY, I will take that day too and wait until Monday.

BEST WISHES to your speedy recovery.

Nelly from Berkeley, CA

In January my doctor sent me to a surgeon to discuss removal of my gallbladder.  After she examined me she sent me to the emergency room and they did a cat scan and found a large pelvic mass.  The ER called the next day and had me come back in for an ultra-sound and the doctor said they could not rule out a malignancy.  I am 45 years old.  They did the surgery within a week where they removed the ovaries and fallopian tubes and the mass.  The results were back while I was in the hospital and it turned out to be benign.  Leading up to the surgery was very scary because all of the medical staff were so concerned, which scared me!

I was supposed to go home the same day (laprosopy) but they ended up keeping me for 5 days because my vital signs tanked and I had to stay on oxygen.  This turned out to  be a blessing as I could receive pain killers via IV.

They immediately started me on estrogen and progesterone, and no side effects.  The hardest part of the surgery?  They put you on the maternity ward for recovery.  My roommate had a hysterectomy and it upset her too.  Not that you planned on having more kids, but when you know you can't, it's hard to hear babies crying.

The best thing I found is to talk about it, and not everyone in your family wants to hear about it.  So forums like this are great.  I just wanted others to know it's ok to be scared.  And don't lessen the importance of this just because it's benign.  You've still had a major life event!
Hi sunnykyte!  getting back to your hormone replacement question . . . I absolutely love my HRT (Climara Patch) and have not found any negative side effects. Of course, I had no choice but to take them because I was 30 when I had a radical hysterectomy with bi-lateral salpingo-oophorectomy.  Before the dr put me on the hormones, I wasn't able to sleep at all due to intense hot flashes. Was also very irritable, and even forgetful! The doctor put me on the lowest dosage possible then increased it as needed.  I feel great now! Don't hesitate to try it! It's also significantly improved the quality of my mom's life: )
its been really nice finding this forum and reading about it. i am 35 yrs old and have just been told i would need to have my right ovary and tube taken out. i have a 6 cm mass apparently. how do i feel? i guess its the waiting for the answeres that is the worst part. mine presented itself as recurrent urinary infections, in the course of the investigation i also discovered i was born with an ectopic kidney, it has certainly been an interetinng month, i am glad my child bearing years are behind me. i have had 3 cearsarians, so i am hoping the laparoscopy would not be worse than that. thanks for all your info. my husband is a doctor but has been pretty hopeless with providing me wit all the info i need.

I had a 10 cm dermoid cyst called a teratoma removed along with my right ovary about two months ago.  The procedure went fine and as far as i feel, i have recovered well.  I have a couple of questions about post surgery though.. its been about 8 weeks and my scar is still reddish.. the area around the scar is not red and is perfectly fine but the actual scar is still reddish.  the doctors told me that if the skin around the area was red i should be worried about infection, but how long did it take some of the rest of you for the redness of your scar to fade? Should i be worried if mines taking this long?  Also, was anyones menstruation cycle affected by the surgery?  Mine has become much much lighter, almost like spotting.  I went on the pill a couple weeks after surgery because it decreases the risk of growing another cyst, and I know this causes your period to became much lighter, but i was curious if it has anything to do with being one ovary short? If you guys have any answers or thoughts please let me know?
I am 24 and just found out that the 8cm cyst the doctor had previously found two years ago has gone up almost four times in those two years, so now I have a cyst that is 31cm! I've had surgery before when I was thirteen and had my gallbladder removed.

I am very scared and the doctor said I may need surgery and cancer runs heavily in my family. She said she might try and put me on birth control to shrink it but would I just be better off having it removed? It mean, its HUGE, right? I tried taking yaz when she first found it but that made me unbelievably sick and I had to stop taking it. But she said a low dosage of something else may work. I am really scared.

The odd thing is, she seemed very aggressive about it and having to deal with it ASAP but yet my CT scan is scheduled a week away? Should I be scared? I still want kids and am afraid that this will affect that. And she said she'd fight like hell to save my ovary but that may have to be removed also.

I am 41 years old and have been suffering with cysts on my ovaries for approximately the last 10 years on and off.  My last operation for cyst removal was 2 years ago and I also had a transcervical resection of the endometrium about 18 months ago.  I spent two weeks over christmas in hospital with severe pain caused by multiple ovarian cysts and have since been under a consultant who prescribed me with zolidex as he believes the multiple cysts are caused by massive oestrogen surges to my ovaries.  I have also had my tumor markers rechecked after a higher than normal reading, however I've been told that it's ok.  After 3 months on the medication, suffering badly from depression, I was taken off the medication.  The severe pain has immediately returned and I've just spent the last 5 days in bed on serious pain relief and unable to go to work.  I've been told by the consultant that I'm entering the menopause anyway - what I want is for him to take the ovaries away - I'm so fed up with feeling so awful, I really can't cope with this and it's consequences any longer.  Can I insist?

Anne
Cheshire
Hi everyone,
I am so pleased I just found this site, like most people I wouldn't have looked ,except I have a problem, and reading through the posts has calmed me down, as I have been in a state of panic, I still don't know what is going on with me yet, just that I have a cystic mass with a couple of solid areas about 8cm x8cm x 7cm outside and above my uterus and cysts on my ovaries, and am waiting for a CT scan, Iam terrified as I have a little boy who is under  the hospital for lots of things and needs me, my imagination is running wild, as you will know, I find it almost impossible to take it in my stride , one day at a time, although that is what everyone keeps telling me.
reading your posts has made me feel less alone. thankyou for sharing.
all the very best to everyone.
Annie.
I had a 8 inch by 8 inch endometrioma removed june 16th, laparatomy my incision is about 6 inches long vertical going from my belly button all the way down. Im 22 yrs old and was very nervous for surgery but all turned out great. I recommend to everyone going into surgery to ask for a "scope patch" you will have ZERO nausea!!! It was great! The pain is kinda bad at first but everyday it gets better and better. Took me over a week to be able to stand up straight but Im now on the Lupron shot for 3 months to prevent anymore icky cysts from forming.
I am 39 Years old I had my left ovary and tube taken out along with an oblasion.  It has been three weeks and the pathologist just called and said everything was benign !! I am so thankful. It took me a good 2 weeks to feel better I am still weak. I started back very slow at the gym today!! I need to get my strength back I was exhausted!! I want all of you to know that for the last six months the pain from the cyst and endo on my left ovary was making me go insane!! I am serious that was incredible pain and my hormones were out of control I was starting to not be able to focus anymore.I run a company and have a busy schedule and the pain was so intense.  I went for a second opinion the first doctor wanted to "watch" it. After surgery my new doctor showed me the pictures the endo was so bad on the ovary.  When I woke up from surgery he also removed more endo it was the first time in along time I felt calm!! I told the doctor and I am sure you would all agree with me it makes your hormones unbalanced the surgery was the best thing i did!! My mom died of breast cancer when I was 6. It had nothing to do with this but I was not going to watch!! Thank you all for listening I will pray for each and everyone of you!!! Love Nicole PS We have to take our health care in our own hands!! =)
Hi Nicole
what is the endo? I had surgery 6 days ago, removed my left ovary and a cyst from my fallopian tubes, but the pain is so intense i can't even walk, i have to be sitting down or restin in bed, in other words i cant walk or move much. Doc keep saying everyone heals diferent but this is too much i thing, the burning sensation is so painful i can feel it really bad, is killing me. I am beggining to think something is wrong there.  I am worry because i have to go back to work and my work is being on my feet for my whole shift and i am scared about the pain.
Good Morning
The pain  was alot for me for the first week also. If you are in that much pain keep
sleeping and laying down if you need another week go back to the doctor and tell them you need another week. DO not push yourself you cant help it all I could for the first week was go from the bed to the bathroom and that was it. I noticed some people are okay sooner I was Just not at all!! Dont worry you are just healing its going to take alot of time. It will be okay. Promise to take it easy you can only do what you can do!!
Smiles Nicole
I WENT IN FOR SURGERY ON 7-10-09 TO REMOVE A CYST ON MY OVARY. ONCE INSIDE, IT WASN'T ON MY OVARY IT WAS A BIG ONE ON MY LEFT FALLOPIAN TUBE. THE TUBE WAS REMOVED ALONG WITH A SMALL CYST ON MY RIGHT OVARY. I'M STILL NOT FEELING 100% YET. I WENT BACK TO WORK IN 2 WEEKS, WHILE 2  PEOPLE I KNOW HAD THE SAME LAPAROSCOPIC PROCEDURE HAD TO TAKE IT EASY FOR 6 WEEKS. ANYONE WITH SOMETHING TO SHARE PLEASE E-MAIL ME...CEE_PERRO***@****
I am 30 and had surgery last week to remove a 10cm cyst on my left ovary with the added complication that I am also 16 weeks pregnant! I had an open surgery, but due to being pregnant the surgeon went for the old fashioned cut line of straight down from my belly button rather than the bikini line, so now have a lovely scar which originally was complete with 24 staples.

This was my second surgery as 5 weeks prior I was rushed into emergency surgery after the cyst pulled and twisted my ovary over to the right side so it was basically behind my right ovary. This was the most intense pain I have every experienced, but was grateful at the speed, along with care everyone took especially as it was a Saturday night. To maintain my pregnancy, and due to not being sure what they would find, at this surgery they only untwisted the ovary and I was told 2 days later that further surgery would be needed.

Despite the large scar I am healing well, test results have come back as negative for cancer, and my baby seems unworried by anything that has happened.

I am very grateful for the effort the doctors went to as I know they put in a lot of research and consulted many different people on which options were best. We are now looking forward to an un-eventful remainder to the pregnancy!
just had both ovaries removed along with tubes and dr.cleaned up alot of adhesions on bowel and colon.Surgery started at 9am was in recovery 12 and on my way home by 3.Going into surgery had a hemmoraghic cyst rupture and was in more pain before surgery than after. I felt it was easier to heal knowing each day was better,before with the pain of cyst every day was the same.Im 10 days out and feel a little weak but am doing fine used pain pills for only first day. the best advise ive seen is the heating pad make sure you have one! It really helps elminate the shoulder pain.also my dr wont start me on hormones till 6 weeks,3 days out i was in full menopause started using black kohash and saw a huge difference in a few days hot flashes were relieved thank god  my advise if your done having children dont hesistate to have the ovaries out i suffered with pcos for 7 years because of the fear of the surgery,REALLY THE PAIN YOUR IN NOW IS WORSE!
How can any one post after 3 hours of having surgury involving ovaries removed? That would be pretty painful.  There is a post above that says that and i must admit you must be pretty strong...  I had my ovary removed with my fallipian tubes and let me tell you i went right into menopause. which i could not stand  the heat that this gave me. If i have known this was going to happen to me..which i should of asked my doctor at the time but never thought about this question in the first place because i actually had to have an emergency operation because i hemmoraged at the time (sorry for the spelling) ..actually the doctor should of told me what to expect when this all took place and again it's my fault for not asking what to expect. After going on a Hormone Patch (Ville Dot. I got off it like in 2 months because i could not stand wearing it anymore..plus again my doctor suggested a short term use because she was pro active she tells me..I said great!  So i no longer use it  and plus the feed back from my doctor wasn't that good ..and then again i definately decided that i should of not even considered using this patch...but what else was there to help me with all the sweats at night and in the day and  on the job nothing worked that people were trying to tell me to take...My face would totally be  red after doing a job duty which was...so embarrassing!!!...So now i deal with this..with out any hormones that i'm scared to use...any other suggestions..beside Bio Hormone? I heard of that also...but it's so far away to talk to a doctor that is experienced in it, which makes me not want to even bother.. I am 52 and it's been 2 years now since i had this taken cared of ...I still have a problem being hot and it gets worse if i'm in extreme hot weather outside especially if i am like i said ..at my job..so embarrassing..Nothing works for me. Help.
Thanks for listening..
Laur
Okay so here is my story.. In June of this year i was in the ER with serious pain on my right front side just about my hip..They did ultra sound and cat scan to find i have cyst on both ovaries.. my right was 7cm and my left one was 4cm.. Last Sunday i was yet again in the ER with Great Pain. They kept me over night with meds in IV and i finaly demanded the doctor to take me in and remove the cyst. Thank god i did come to find as he is inside that the great pain i had in june was actualy the weight of the cyst on my right ovary being to much and it twisted.. The ovary was decaying inside me my great pain i had last sunday was due to a large blood clot that i was bleeding from internaly so needless to say he removed my right ovary, tube, cyst and of course stopped my bleeding. I am ever so thankful for making him go in and get it out i am 5 days post opt now and feeling better each day. i will not lie it is painfull but such a breath of fresh air compared to the on going pain i have been facing over the last year! I still have my cyst on my left ovary and i am on Birth Control to help that shrink which is working. I am only 28yrs of age and slowly dealing with the loss chance of having children well the chances being slimmer that is. i do already have 2 beautiful children.

Here are my questions to those who have had this done.. I am seriously emotional beyond doubt, i have been pretty down in the dumps i am sure its due to me not being able to do my normal things i am very active and have been on a weight loss journey this year losing thus far 76lbs i have yet another 30 to go and i have lost total since 2007 118lbs! so i am abit down not being able to workout.. and falling behind.. but also i have had such oily skin, its awful my face has been breaking out is this normal and if so how long does it take for my body to adjust to the hormone levels?

any help is nice.. ihope my story helped someone else. I do promise this surgery will so benifit you if you have been dealing with the constant pain of cyst.. it is slow to recover but so much better let me tell you ladies...

hugs to all
sarah
I recently changed doctors and at my first annual visit he found a cyst on my right ovary.  He sent me for an ultra sound.   At this point (2 ultrasounds in) and my 5cm cyst has not gone down.  I have been on the pill for 8 years (I'm 26). My doctor sent me for a third ultra sound next month (so every month since July-Oct) an so far no change.  I had some abdomal pain and vomiting over the summer, and bad bloating for a year and a hald. I actually went to a gastrointrologist because of the bloating, but since August I haven't had much pain.  I met with the doctor after he did a cervical biopsy because my Pap also came back positive.  He said that if it doesn't go down by the beginning of October he wants to discuss removing the cyst because he doesn't think it is a normal cycle cyst.  I've never head surgery,my pap was positive, i've only been going to this doctor since July, and am very nervous especially because I am getting married soon.  Any comforting words or information about the procedure would be welcomed.
I had laparoscopy a week ago and am doing well.  Previously had 2 ultrasounds for ovarian cyst that wasn't going away.   I had 3 incisions inc. the belly-button one.  Surgery took 1 hr.  They removed approx 6 cm cyst and part of the ovary and fallopian tube.  Surgery started at 9 AM and I was home by noon!

The first night I should have stuck with the bland diet because I tried to eat a normal dinner and it all came up.  I took Percocet for the 1st two days (but very little) and then Ibuprofen and Tylenol for the 3rd day.  That was it for pain killers.  Gas/shoulder pain was gone after 24 hrs.  I was able to walk around/steps/etc next day but sore for a few days.  (Especially when laughing or coughing)!  Also, there was a bit more bruising then I expected.  

It's been a week now and I'm feeling pretty good, still a little sore here and there but not bad.  This was my first experience with laparoscopy and must say I'm pretty impressed.  Lots of photos were taken that I saw at my post-op and the solid portion of my cyst biopsy came back benign. I also found out at my post-op (and hadn't even known!) that I have endometriosis.  So I would def. recc. laparoscopy if possible, it's much less invasive than laparotomy and provides much info with a very quick recovery and little pain!

Try not to worry too much...it really wasn't bad at all.

Best wishes!!
I just had abdominal surgery to remove an ovary and a 20cm benign tumor. What a pain in my butt that was. They made a vertical incision about 6 -7 inches long streching from just above my belly button to my pelvic bone.
I understand the scare many have about going in for surgery and not knowing what will happen until after you wake up...will I have cancer? Will I be able to have kids? The what ifs are scary, but most of the time the odds are in your favor. I was in the hospital for three days, and on the second day my epidural was removed,  and then I was sent home. The first night was rough and I puked all over myself because of the side effects of the pain meds. ( Make sure you always have that pillow tightly against your stomach!). Today makes almost a week since surgery and I am able to get up and walk around or take a shower with much ease. Constipation is often a result of all the meds as well....that part stinks. You may not have a bowel movement for up to a week after surgery and once you do - what a relief!  
it is day 7 after removal of ovaries and f tubes.  I feel fine.  Did my first walk today (gently).  I had keyhole and am in my 50's.  Mother died of ovarian cancer so docs suggested to remove ovaries as already in menopause.
It was a day procedure and not much pain.  Just pain killers at night.

I think it is important to be physically fit before any surgery if you can.  Of course if you know your surgery is coming up, you can prepare for it.

All the best to anyone having this surgery.
hey ,i was reading all this u all went thew i had cysts on my lrft ovary it was 5cm but when went doc was gone then went my right sidee bigg as hell like a babys head idk if there taken ovary or my cysts what do u think iamscard of it idk if i can have kids after wiill able too have them and what do u think about my ovary they taken or what .

hollie let me no plesee
You are young and you certainly have big decisions to make!  I would certainly go and have a 2nd opinion before having anything so radical at your age.

All the best
Hello. I am scheduled for a laporatomy on Nov. 30th for removal of my 8 cm cyst on my right ovary and possible removal of the ovary. My concerns are that all of my labs have come back normal as far as for cancer markers (ie. CA 125), but my symptoms are fatigue, lower back pain, and urinary frequency (the cyst was discovered incidentally). I have read that these can be signs of ovarian cancer. I have a family history of cancer, my mother had uterine cancer at a young age, and I am still concerned about possible cancer. It seems, from what I have read of other's situation, you do not know if it is cancerous until the surgery is done. It weighs heavy on my mind, even though I know that most cysts are benign and my gyn feels that it is most likely benign.

I am also concerned because there is no gyn oncologist available because we are military and stationed overseas. If I request a gyn onc, I would have to go back to the states with my 2 small children, my husband would have to change duty stations temporarily, and have the surgery done there. It would just be too much, I think, and then my recovery would be more difficult for me as I would not have my own things or my own bed, couch, etc. I just want it out and soon. It is definitely a dilemma.

Kim
I had similar symptoms and feared the worst as I have a family history of ovarian cancer. Upon further research, I found that these same symptoms can also indicate an ovarian cyst.  The good thing is that you listened to your body and had it checked out. One of the hardest things is waiting!  I just had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed because of a mass that didn't change after repeated ultrasounds.  I too had a low CA125, but particularly with a family cancer history, I was very, very scared.  Despite the odds that the cyst is benign, the possibility that it isn't benign is what you continually focus on.  I would be sure to ask when you will get the biopsy results back. Mine only took three days but others who have posted have had to wait much longer.  It was also very helpful to me to discuss my fears with my doctor and husband.  Take all of the emotional support that you can get! My own gyn did the surgery and said that I didn't need a gyn oncologist unless the biopsy came back positive.  My personal opinion is that an experienced gyn who does surgery is appropriate, but you have to feel comfortable with who your doctor is.  This is the time to be selfish.  If, after you think it through, you think it would be best to come back to the states, you should do it and not think about how it might inconvenience others.  Recovery from laproscopic surgery is much easier (I am a week + out and am gearing up to go back to work, though for shorter hours.)  I am post-menopausal so I fortunately don't have the hormonal adjustment to contend with.  You need to consider what your needs will be.  Do you have child care and household support where you are now or can you only get that if you go back home?  My husband stayed home from business travel to cook, clean etc because you really can't do that post surgery. I was also told not to lift anything over 10 lbs (and you can't pick things up off the floor).  I don't think I could have done that with young kids around. The more decisions you make, and the more information you have, the more you will feel in control.  Good luck with everything.
I am 70 yrs old.  The ultrasound showed one bad ovary and the doc wants to take out both and tubes.  Wondering if I should try to keep one, just for health reasons.  I sure wonder about the healing because I have already had a c-section years ago, and appendectomy.  Won't know about it being cancer until the operation is over.  Stressful as you know.
Thanks for the advice. My husband is taking off for 2 weeks and is not going to be deployed for a few months until I'm 100 percent. We have a lot of support from the community here with help with childcare, meals, household chores, etc. No one has their families around so we all try to take care of each other. I do feel more comfortable with my doctors here now--I have found that they are very experienced and have done many of these types of surgeries. I have made the decision to stay here to have it taken out. I'm still scared, guess it's normal. It's also hard to let go of everything and let someone else take control (when I am recovery). I'm just trying not to stress out too much.
Is there anything you can do to prevent getting gas between the shoulder blades? That was the worst part of my first surgery. I am going in next week to remove my other ovary.
WOW....this post has been going for a year..lol...
I just had my surgery on Monday. I went in at 11am and kinda remember nodding off around 12:30. It was such a weird experience being under the anesthesia, at one point I was asking "are you there?...Help me...I need to pee..." to the nurse. It was very strange and more like a dream. I started actually waking up around 5. I had talked to my DR before hand and I went in thinking that I was going to be able to keep my ovary. I turned to my husband, after waking up, and said "at least I have my ovary still"....and he said..."actually..." Oh that opened the flood gates....
I finally left the hospital around 6:30...they say to expect to be there 3-4 hours, but everybody's different.
That night I just went straight to bed, I was still very tired from the anesthesia so it made it easy to fall asleep. Throughout the night I had to urinate quite a few times, and my husband would help me out of bed each time. It was extremely painful and difficult to just figure out HOW to get in and out of bed.
The second day a friend came to sit with me, and I stayed on the couch for the day, however I would get up and try to walk to the bathroom or kitchen every hour or so. Which let me tell you, as you very well know...wow....I have never moved so slow in my life. But take your time and don't overexert yourself and don't apologize for  it either...you're recovering this is normal.
So anyways, for the past few days I have not had much of an appetite.
Since I have had the ovary removed, I feel a void, if that makes sense. IDK.....I was talking to my dad and he said it's like an instant Menopause as your body is trying to regulate itself back hormonally. I think it's the estrogen levels that are low that are causing me to feel so SAD.....I was really worried about getting pregnant now with one ovary...
I have 3 incisions, and the middle one (belly button) is the most painful. initially we thought it was just a regular cyst, when they got in there they found a cyst inside a cyst which ended up being a demroid cyst. 3.4cm...
It has been 4 days. Today was much better....last night I was finally able to turn in bed from my right side to my back without being in pain. Everyday it gets better. Just stick with it and you will be fine. Be patient and go slow. Good luck!
Thankyou so much for your post! I was rushed to the hospital on thanksgiving ,11/26/09, with a high fever and extreme pain on my right side.  They, of course, thought it was appendicitis only to find out after the ultrasounds and cat scans that I had cysts and growths on and between both ovaries.  I ended up being admitted from that Thursday through Monday on IV treatment to clear up a pelvic infection(cause of the fever) so they could then go in and surgically take care of the cysts.  In the end, I had the same type of incisions such as yourself.  They removed my LEFT (ironically enough) ovary which ended up having a 10cm dermoid cyst inside as well as a growth that had attached itself to both the left and right ovary and had pulled them behind my uterus.  I still have the right ovary and both tubes.  Your explanation of what you are going through with your healing process has helped me alot in just confirming that I am on the right path with healing. I am getting a bit tired of the hormone issue.  I do not like feeling teary and I feel like if the wind blows the wrong way I start crying.  My only question for you is whether or not your gyn has mentioned anything about when you can resume intercourse.  Obviously I have no desire right now to even attempt!!! Still not even enjoying getting up and sitting down.  Everything else is fine with me moving around.  My only issues are when all of this bloating should go away and when I can be a bit more "active" .  Again, thankyou so much for your post.....you have no idea how much it helps that I saw you had your surgery so close to mine.  If you are able to answer either of my questions I would appreciate it. Good luck and be well.
Joanne
Hi all,
I had an ultrasound and they found 2 cysts on the ovaries. I have been in alot of pain for around 6 months and now i finally no why.
I went and saw my specialist and he has put me on the pill for the pain. As i'm going overseas for a holiday in Febuary 2010 i didnt want to have the pain when i went over there.
I'm 21 years old and am not sure what to do. After i get back from Holidays i wont be able to take anymore leave as i am taking over someone else's job while they go on maternity leave.
How long can i leave this.. will the cysts grow i'm really worried that if i dont have surgery everything will become worse. I might not be able to have surgery until oct 2010 is that too long. my specialist said it can take up to 2-4 weeks recovery, the only problem is, i cant get the time off work.. What do i do.. Any advise??
I am twenty two years old and have been having trouble with ovarian cysts for years now. The day after thanksgiving i went to the emergency room for stomach pain, knowing that it was a cyst on my left ovary. They did a cat scan and a ultra sound and found a 10cm cyst on my left ovary, and several small cysts on my right. They released me even though i was in great pain. I waited till Monday and went to a obgyn and he told me i needed emergency surgery to remove the cyst. I went to the emergency room and they prepped me and told me the surgery would take 30 minutes and i would be released that night or the next morning. However i woke up from the surgery 3 hours later and i was in immense pain. The doctor said he couldnt believe the emergency room let me leave that weekend, and that he had to remove my whole ovary and fallopian tube because the cyst was so large and filled with black liquid. He also said the cyst was larger than 10cm, and was attached to my bladder, uterus wall, and intestines. I have a incision in my panty line with 15 stables, and a small one in my belly button. Now my stables have been removed, and i am feeling almost better. I still have trouble getting comfortable when trying to sleep, and still have to take pain medicine. I don't now if the cyst pressing on my bladder hurt it some how because i have severe stomach pain when i have to pee. My belly button also hasn't healed yet, i think it might be infected. I followed the doctors instructions on taking care of it, but it bleeds frequently and is swollen and mis-shapen, it also smells really awful. I also have not received my lab results telling me if the cyst was cancerous or not, and it has been almost 3 weeks since my surgery. I have also been out of work for 3 weeks, and can't return till after christmas.
12 days ago, I was supposed to have a 7 cm cyst removed optoscopic - outpaitent. I knew there was a chance they would have to remove the ovary too. When they cut me open the cyst was bigger than they expected and they ended up taking out the ovary and tubes. I was in the hospital for three days and back home. It has been almost two weeks and I am still in pain. I can't sit for a long period of time and on my second bottle of Norco (pain medicine). I am starting to get depressed due to the lack I can't do anything and don't feel good. I am trying to do too much, I know, for example go back to work. I have a doctor's note that says I am supposed to be out until March 3, 2010.  

I had two c-sections. They tried the oposcopic by going through the belliy button and they cut me open on my csection - bekini line.

I am just curious when I will feel back to normal.

Also, question. How were your first period after your ovary were taken out. I am worried about that too.
Did anyone have problem with urination? I also have muscle spasms in my stomache. I had a cathadar put in 12 hours after surgery to help with urination.
I am 51 and in 2003 I had 2 large dermoids the size of grapefruits removed and one ovary removed.  They found this late and I had major invasive surgery in a major oncology dept. When the tests came back benign i was booted out!  My obgyn did not follow thru and now in 2010 I know that I needed physical therapy to get back to 100%  No one was there to give me comprehensive advise not even my primary care dr.  I struggled with the loss of one ovary, recovering from surgery, trying to return to work and managing my husband and two teen children at the time.  I became menopausal and did not really know what had happened to me until years later.  Being booted from primary to obgyn to oncololgy i do not think that the continuity of care was effectively managed.

tkp
I had a C-Section cut on January 13, 2010 to remove cysts from both of my ovaries. I was in the hospital for three days. My ovaries were also pushed together in the middle of my body due to severe endometriosis and my Gyno had to reposition them. It's been a little over a month and my abdomen is still distended, my clothes don't fit and it still hurts to cough, laugh or sneeze. I really feel terrible and I don't know if this is normal. My Dr. has forbidden me to drive and I'm going crazy. My abdomen is still numb and it feels like I have novocaine on my skin. Has anyone else experienced this? I've been reading some of the posts and it seems that most of you recovered quickly. I have a Dr. appointment on February 18th  and I'm afraid to return to work in early March if I'm still feeling this way.
Hello everyone I had surgery 2days ago the doc remove my cyst also ovary :( I didn't want that but it had to be done recovery for me is  painful but my question is ( their any bad side effects with only having one overy)
hi there everyone can anyone help mewirth my dilemma? i have a 5cm by 8cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary which is to be removed in april. I am phobic of being put to sleep. Although my surgeon would rather do a laproscopy he is willing to preform the procedure with me awake with a sinal block through an open incision similar op as to a c section as anyone had a dermoid cyst removed this way how was the recovery many thanks
I am wanting to know how long can it take for an ovary to grow back.. or does it depend on the woman... My wife had her ovary and a cyst removed over 8 months ago. Shortly afer the operation she began to feel pain all over again. Instead of going to a Dr. immediatey she just continued to take the pain meds that werent working after so long. We went to the emegency room to find out she still had an ovary and a cyst. Im not buying the cyst and overy grew back bit at all... Not in less than six to eight months. please respond with something for comfort ...
I'm 19 and had surgery in early Feb. to remove a tumor. The tumor had damaged my right ovary so it was removed as well. I was in the hospital for 3 days and have been on bedrest since. my 6 week checkup isnt till the 19th of this month. I've been have lots of pain and bloating still. I've also been experiencing hot flashes which I dont see as normal at my age. I just want to know does anybody know when things will start to be normal again? hutchins, I was also very afraid of being put to sleep, and now am so glad i did. i highly recommend it. thanks all.
I am having laparocomy for a large cyst removal and my left ovary removed on 12th April. I am hoping someone who has had similar done what the recovery time is as I need to plan time off work and how long after you can drive. I would also like to know if anyone has had a cafater after this and were it goes exactly. I am 23 and quite healthy none smoker. Any help would be great. :)
Hi im 34 and I had a cyst removed on the 6th of Feb 2010, before that i had scans on the 8th of December 2009 which had the cyst measuring at 22cm and an MRI and lots of blood test to rule out cancer all of which are fine.From the MRI which i had done on the 6th of Jan  2010 it measured at 27cm!!! was booked in on the 11th of Feb but did not make that, was rushed in on the 5th of Feb and removed the next day.I was told it had twisted and thats why i was in so much pain could not move because if i did it was really painfull.I had my right ovary removed along with my appendix which i new anyway.The reason they removed the appendix even though it was fine was told they might as well as it dont do much.The scar measures 20 cm which goes pass my belly button i was glued so had no stiches only on the inside and i must say the scar is very neat even though its huge.Recovery is slow, i was not in hospital  for long, in bed for 2 days with morpine and a cafeter  which was done while under, this does not hurt when removed this was my biggest fear!! feel silly now but at the time was very worried about it then out of bed the next day then home.My partner booked 2 weeks of work, the first week i stayed in bed i had trouble with trapped wind and it killed my stomach and i had lots of this and found this quite painful. The second week i had to start moving around as having a young child to look after when my partner went back to work.For me week by week i was getting better but its been nearly 2 months and i am not back to normal my scar itches like crazy and is sore and i have this pulling pain on my left side which i have told the consulted but just got a stare and was told she couldnt answer that.Got docters this week  so will say, i dont no weather to push for a scan or not just to see if everything is ok but a part of me im still healing and this is what it is but it should be my right side because thats where most of the work has been done.I got 3 months of work due to i have to lift things so it does depend on what job you do to how much time you get of work.I have no idea of the final size of my wonderful cyst but it weighed 14.1lb so feeling lighter now!! and not looking pregnant. I would also like to know is anyone has had problems with there period my first 2 where fine came on the other day i think and well the shortest period ever about an hour of it so im not sure if it was a period or not even though i am due on.
Similar to so many of the posts, I'm just thrilled to find this site! I'm having my left ovary removed due to a 6cm cyst this Thursday - Tax Day! Starting to panic a bit...so refreshing to hear all of your stories. Thank you so much for sharing
Hi All
Just need some advice, I am 28yrs old and I had my first baby 15mths ago.  When I had my c-section they removed a large cyst fron my right ovary. Now 15mths later I have another one,  it is 9cms long do you think they will remove it or make me wait. when I went to the hospital they just gave me pain killers and sent me home. What should I do next. I am in so much pain in my back and around my ovary. Trying to chase after a 15mth old is hard.
thanks inpain...
I am told due to my strong family history of cancer I need to go ahead and have both ovaries and tubes removed. I have one cyst and a high Ca 125 test. They are doing an ultrasound but say it really can't tell if it's cancer....unless their removed. Not scared about surgery it's the nose dive into menopause that frightens me! Is it bad? How long does it last and my doc says hormones would not be good for me since we are trying to prevent cancer but I have a family to care for and can't be out of whack! Anyone have any experience with this I am 45 years old, pre-menopause.
RSD
Hi there
You do need to get your cyst taken out soon. I went to ER on April 16 with really bad pain in lower right abdomen and back all the way into my thighs. They did a CAT scan and said there was big mass on my right ovary. Gave me prescription for pain killers and sent me home telling to see obgyn although i told them i didn't have one in this town because i recently moved here! Anyways after lots of searching i found a doc who was willing to see me, it was April 20. She said the hospital shouldn't have sent me away and should've operated and taken it out. Because it was twisted thus terrible pain. Mine was 10x11cm. She also did ultrasound and found another one - 7cm in diameter on my other ovary. The cyst can rupture and it will be even more painful, plus a risk of infection and so on. Any cyst 5cm or bigger has to be removed surgically because most likely it won't go away on its own like small ones do. I had my surgery yesterday. She removed them both laparoscopically and i have 3 small incisions. One on my left side, one in the belly button and one right above pubic bone. Post op symptoms just like others have - shoulder pain, can barely get out of my bed and back in, pain while peeing, swollen/distended abdomen. The worst part for me is pain in middle upper abdomen right below where rib cage is. It's painful to talk, cough or even breathe sometimes. Feels like all my insides got turned upside down. I tried eating solids today but it must be too soon as i can feel them going down and in my stomack. Ouch. Stick to brothy soups and gello.
Good luck to everyone!
So glad I'm not alone. I am also scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. I have a 4cm ovarian cyst, but have not been able to go to work for a week due to the severe pain. I hope this surgery solves the problem, and my recovery is speedy.
I am 20, in january of of this year, 2010. I had a laparotomy done to remove a large football sized cyst, and my right ovary. getting prepared for surgery was terrifying. And I have to admit I had absolutely no symptoms of this huge thing inside of me. Everyone was shocked to hear how big it was, considering how little I am. The only sympton I would have to say I had was problems with going to the bathroom, mainly bowel movements. But anyways, that surgery went well. The incision was very low so that was nice, and it was about 8 inches across. The doctors said it would be at least six weeks or more til I was healed and feeling better. But I would say by 4 or 5 weeks I was actually feeling alright. It takes time, and it makes you very tired at first but it will get better. The best thing I did was get up and walking very soon after my surgery. I was walking that night. and I only stayed for two nights. The sooner you get moving the better. I know it hurts though, have a pillow with you at all times, that really helps to hold across your stomach. Good luck anyone who faces this, it will be ok.
i have a cyst of 6.2 cm and the doctor told me it has to be removed by surgery. this is my first surgery so i really dont know whats to come. i want to know how long will i recovered? would i have to stay overnight? in the clinic. idk am just nervous because is my first time and am only 20 years old.
Hi!
I’m going in on June 1 for the laparoscopic removal of my left ovary, left fallopian tube, right fallopian tube and a 3cm mass near my left ovary.
I have had two laparoscopic surgeries in the past for the removal of endometriosis, and found the recovery to be very easy.  I also had a c-section and didn’t take the pain killers after two days post-op (I think that I might have a high threshold for pain).
I am hoping to be up and about by June 9 for my daughter’s end of school activities.
But after reading all of the comments above, I am very concerned.  Am I setting myself up for failure in thinking that my recovery is going to be similar to my other surgeries?  
Hi Everyone,

I am 21 years old and had a Laparotomy on April 12th to remove a large cyst on my left ovary that had originally burst but regrew into a solid mass (i was orginally supposed to have key hole but due to the content of the cyst the surgeon decided to cut to ensure that nothing was left behind). He also lasered away some endometriosis on my womb but left some on my bowel as he did not want to take the risk of perferating my bowel with the laser. To be honest my recovery time was quite slow, i was off work for a month and i still have tenderness around the scar where the surgeon sewed everything up internally.

Recently, i have been getting quite bad pain which feels like it is in the lower part of my colon. When the cyst originally burst i had excruciating pain to one side of my stomach but the majority felt as though it was in my colon. I later learnt that this was most probably because the fluid from the cyst had travelled and was putting pressure and irritating my other organs. This pain is still there though and intercourse with my boyfriend can at times be very uncomfortable even though the operation was 6 weeks ago. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I have a check up appointment with my Surgeon in August but I do not know whether to go back sooner.

Thanks so much and good luck to all those having their ops soon, it really isn't that bad - just remember you are having a serious operation and will need to rest a lot after. I made my recovery time worse by doing too much too soon.

xxx
Hi, I just had  a dermoid cyst, which was 17 cm, and my left ovary removed this week. I am feeling a bit better and I am walking around already but I still feel some pain. Does anyone know how long I will be back to feeling normal?
I am 27 and had my right ovary removed this past friday. To the hospital in the morining, home in the afternoon. I went back to work on monday. I have had no problems. I felt pretty normal the next day but took it easy. I also had a cyst drained on my left side and my tubes tied, they blow your belly up pretty good so that took a few days to go back down to normal but other then that i feel just fine.
Glad to hear your surgery went well. It has been recommended that I have my right ovary removed before the end of the month because something funky is growing on it and my doc does not want to risk cancer. I am 47 and wondering about having the other one removed as well to reduce any chance of ovarian cancer. Also how long did it take for your stomach to return to normal. Do you have any pain? What have others heard about the effects of removing both ovaries.
Hi everyone i am 30 years old. I have a cyst on my left ovary that is now almost 12 centimeters. I have anxiety really bad and also never take meds because of my anxiety. I have an electrical problem with my heart that has put me over 240 beats per min. very scary. Im so afraid of complications with anestesia. I have a huge fear and dont want to get this cyst taken out. I have put it off for a couple years now and then it was 8 centimeters. I have a fear of dying and am a big mess. Im so scared can anyone please help with any advice?
Hi everyone, im just home from hospital today after having both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed, I had a hysterectomy 10 yrs ago. I had a 12 cm complex cyst on my left ovary, My CA125 levels were 140 which put me at high risk of malignancy. I had surgery on Friday and initial results show my "TUNA is B9" (family joke LOL).The surgery was complicated because of scar tissue from previous hysterectomy, my ovary had attached itself to my bowel so they had to shave part of my bowel as well. Luckily I had an awesome doctor who managed to do it all laparoscopic. its Sunday now and I'm feeling ok.... a little tender on the inside, but knowing I dont have cancer makes me feel 100 %. as for going through menopause... I believe in mind over matter and simply refuse to sucum to the symptoms .. so there  lol
For all those awaiting surgery... positive thinking is the key. you cant change what is, but a positive attitude helps to keep you sane.
good luck
Hi, I was having very bad pains in my chest so went to the doctors where they believed something was in my tummy. They referred me straight away to the hospital where I had scans and tests which revealed a large ovarian cyst. I was told the cyst and left ovary would have to be removed. This was on the Friday. I got booked in for the op on the Monday the 10th May. Had to go into the hopsital on the sunday morning and got home on the Thursday. They told me everything went fine. I got my results back last week and everything was fine apart from there is now a small cyst on my right ovary, this has worried me. The cyst was 15cm by 10 by 7. The size of a football they told me!! I am only 21 and with all of this happening so quickly, me and my boyfriend, of 3 years, have decided to start trying for a baby incase something like this happens again to my other ovary. I went to my doctor to ask how long I have to wait until we can start trying for a baby but she was unsure so has refered me back to the hospital to have all my questions answered. Does anyone know how long I have to wait? I had an operation like a c-section. The hospital told me I will need 12 weeks off work. I am just beginning my seventh week off. Please help!!
M
I also had my left ovary removed on June 15th.It was found during a Cat-scan for lower back surgery.The back surgery went well and after one week I was having pain in my lower belly.I went to the ER and they took a Cat-scan and said I had diverticulitis.I was given antibiotics and felt better in one week.On June 15 the ovary was to be removed hopfully by laposcopicly.It was to large and I had to much sacr tissue.The doctor said it took one hour just to get to the ovary.Well I stayed in the hospital for three days,and I still am having pain in my lower belly, my gut feeling tells me it could be diverticulitis again.I am so ready to feel better, but my body keeps hurting.
  Hello, I'm a 40yrs and I just had my right ovary removed with a 6cm cyst. I arrived @ the hospital last thur @ 7:30am & my surgery began @ 8:30. I was n my room 10:40am, when I woke up I wasn't n any pain just very drowsy from the morphine. My doc (whom I'm very comfortable with) said I had 2 stay n the hospital for 2days, because I was walking around fri morning I was able 2 get discharged the same day 4:30pm. Its been 5 days since the surgery I'm still a lil' sore, but no where near normal. I've been up & down the stairs a few times very slowly. I was told it could take up 2 4wks 2 recover. I hav 2 handsome fellows & a wonderful husband
so I have been waited on. I tak 1 ibuprofen & oxycodone-APAP as needed 4 pain. 2 me the ibupro works better 4 the pain. I thank God 4 everything, but I can't wait 2 b bac 2 normal. I so use 2 running here & there, but I can't & I won't complain! I wish you all well & will b praying 4 u all!!

5 days ago I had a laparoscopic removal of  4cm x 2 cm cyst that apparently was mangled up with my left ovary. The doctor is pretty sure this was a dermoid, but the biopsy isn’t back. The cyst, my ovary, left fallopian tube and some old scar tissue were removed. I post here in hopes that it boosts the spirits of those who are facing similar experiences, as I found a lot of comfort from women online- and far more info than my own OBGYN surgeon ever gave me!
I have had 2 c-sections and my recovery so far is not too different except for general anesthesia "hangover". Going under was my biggest, most consuming fear; I'd never had general before and my fear was extreme. I have a history of odd reactions to medicines in addition to having a Mitral Valve Prolapse (heart murmur), some seizures and past history of panic disorder. I was absolutely terrified and broke into a cold sweat whenever I thought about the surgery. I read way too many horror stories on the internet, and forbade myself from googling any more search strings like "awake + paralyzed during surgery".
To prepare for surgery, I got healthy. I jogged, danced or swam every day and ate fresh foods. I stopped drinking alcohol and meditated. I also played little mind games with myself, forcing myself out of my comfort zones in various situations. I allowed myself to fully imagine the worse case scenarios and go through the feelings, desensitizing. Talking to the anesthesiologist- and officially requesting him - really helped a LOT with trust and info.  I requested a BIS monitor (measures brain activity during surgery to make sure you are in fact unconscious and not just paralyzed).
All of this sounds like high maintenance, ultra neurotic behavior but as my fear was on the scale of a phobia I did what I needed to do and I entered the hospital in a state of serenity. Everything went according to plan with none of my fears coming true. Throwing up afterwards and feeling like crap were gifts to me- I was so relieved to have it done.
What did they do to me? I had Versed (a sedative similar to valium) right before surgery- I had to wait 2 hours from scheduled time due to an emergency surgery that came in- so I started thinking my fearful thoughts again but pushed those away. The versed was given through IV, literally right when they took me into the O.R. It acted very quickly and I felt a little scared at first but I quickly turned into jelly. In the OR I remember they gave me Propofol through my IV and I asked if that would put me to sleep. The nurse said yes and I said it wasn’t working and the next thing about 2 hours later I was in the post-op room. During the surgery I was given one gas with nitrous oxide to keep me under, and a paralytic drug. As the paralytic effects the lungs, I had a tube down my throat to breathe for me. I had told the anesthesiologist that I have a narrow throat, and he graciously used a smaller tube. I had no sore throat afterwards. The surgeon filled my tummy with gas as to get to the good parts, and used a utensil through my cervix to move my uterus to the side. I am told they put some sort of pressurized things around my legs that helped keep the circulation going to avoid blood clots. All in all, I was in very, very good hands. The BIS monitor was used as I requested- probably unnecessary but I felt better having it.
I don't remember coming to, just being extremely drugged feeling and heavy, not scared or confused at all. I could barely move anything and so just gave into it and let the nurse dose me with pain meds through IV. I think she gave me too many pain meds- as much as I wanted whenever I asked- and I was in no good condition to make such choices! I was given morphine in addition to Demerol (which I was told beforehand helps with the shaky, cold feelings). They gave me something else for nausea. I was extremely sedated by this time. I was in the post-op room for at least 3 hours and finally they wheeled me into the 2nd recovery room where my beloved boyfriend was waiting.
   We were here for about an hour; this room seems like the place where the nurse's duty is to get you the heck out of the hospital as quickly as she can. She muttered under her breath to the OR nurse that I had too many meds. I was really out of it, but hey anxiety and pain free. :) I did throw up a couple times after they gave me some ginger ale- the best drink I had ever had, I was so thirsty- but this was a bit of a relief. The nurse actually gave me a Vicodin there-more meds- so I could sit up into a wheelchair and go to the car. Thank god my BF took good care of me; I could barely talk and was very, very out of it. It seems like they'd want to keep me around until I was at least more coherent and not puking. I was so happy when we got home. Where I promptly puked again and my BF helped me into bed.  I went in and out of a light slumber for a few hours then woke up and got to the couch for a light snack and 7up. The best invention ever is the bendy straw.
So far, 5 days later, I have been taking Vicodin  500mg apx. every 4 hours the first few days and then down to 5 or 6 hours the past 2 days and today just had a ½ when I got up and 1/2 a while ago. The Vicodin helps me be a couch potato- something I don't naturally excel at- and keeps me in recovery mode so I can heal but I’m tapering off.
The gas pains in my shoulders was intense the first 2 days- worse than the tummy area. Gently massaging, walking around slowly and shifting position helped. One thing I don't remember the doc telling me that freaked me out the first morning I woke up was the big puddle of fluid that soaked my bed. I thought I had wet the bed! I called the office and was told it was okay; in addition to 2 small incisions on the pelvic line and one on my belly button, I have a 1 inch incision on the right side of my belly. The doc had filled my abdomen with some type of fluid after surgery so that I would have less scarring. It was freaky to be leaking- I felt like a giant water balloon- but that stopped after a few days. I slept on my leaking side with a clean towel every night. For constipation I took powdered magnesium citrate in a little juice- and had a BM the next day.
The pain is diminishing but I feel like I have the IQ of a butternut squash and I'm very foggy headed. Also nauseous, dizzy and weak. Weird feelings in my stomach and groin;  tiny cramps.  Walking around the house a bit for circulation but that exhausts me still. I am very lucky to have my BF with me; he has been so sweet and patient and won't let me do anything I'm not supposed to (nothing more sexy than holding hands and little kisses- yes, only I would want to be intimate at a time like this!) I know I need to wait until my 2 week follow up for the okay on sex, swimming and my third favorite activity tub baths.
I am very happy to have this done and that I didn't  run away screaming and just let the thing grow. That would have ended up in a dangerous rupture or more invasive surgery. I am feeling a bit emotional and weepy- but will not judge this time as "the new me" as so much has taken place. My doctor has not discussed the effects of having lost one ovary. I've read that the remaining ovary learns to make double the estrogen but not sure if this is right.
I am wiped out and hope that I start feeling better soon. It seems like the anesthetic is still in my body; I hear that taking goldenseal can help detoxify (after the initial healing period and pain meds are done). I hate feeling like a zombie and daytime television is an aesthetic nightmare. But overall, truly, I am blessed and have faith that my biopsy comes back clean.
This has been a very long and rambling message, but I hope someone gains something from my point of view. I am so relieved I can't tell you- I can handle the horrid CSI reruns and tax reduction commercials for now, life is beautiful and I could do this again if I had to!

Hello everyone!! My name is Trish! I am 26 years old! I was rushed into emergency surgery on Tuesday morning, July 13, 2010 at 10 a.m.
I went to sleep at 1 a.m. Tuesday morning with slight stomach pain and aches, but thought nothing about it! At 3 a.m. I was awoke with excrutiating pain in my lower abdomen and right side. I thought that it might have been gas, backed up bowels, or an appendicitis! I tried to use the restroom, but that did not help at all! After about 5 minutes of screaming in agony and laying on the floor in the fetal position, I woke my boyfriend up and told him I needed to go to the hospital! We are new to the area and were not sure where the nearest hospital was, so he was going to drive 30 minutes north to the hospital we were familiar with! About 5 minutes down the road, I told him that I could not make it that far, and we spotted a State Trooper, so I made him pull over and asked the Trooper to call an ambulance!
After making it to the ER, they hooked me up to and IV, and got a doctor in the room immediately. The doctor did an exam, which was extremely painful, and FINALLY gave me some morphine. He then ordered a CT, bloodwork, and a pelvic ultrasound.
After all of the tests came back, the doctor came in the room and told me that I had a Complex Ovarian Cyst and I was hemorraging internally from it.
I was rushed up to the ER by 9 am and was in surgery by 10 am. I finally woke up at around 1130 am and felt like a 10 ton thing had been taken out of my body!! But, I lost a lot of blood and they took out 1400 cc's of blood as well, not to mention I am anemic and the surgery made me start my period...
I would like to know how to regain some of my strength back from this surgery...I'm cluless....
Hi there, im Mel, age 30 and i can totally understand your feelings as this was me two weeks ago & for four years previous, i had a 11cm x 11cm cyst on my left ovary, it started growing four years ago while i got preganant with my daughter of which i got told i could never have children as i have pcos, i was 18 wen i got told this shocking news, when i was 27 i caught for her, what a shock!!
The cyst started of 1cm then grew and grew, four years later 11cm, at this point it was resting on my bladder and i was constantly pee'in, plus i could feel something there, with many ulta-sound scans later my doctor decided is was best to take it out, my first appointment was cancilled due to having no child care, 2nd appointment was cancilled as i was poorly days before with a high temp, my 3rd appointment 26th july...
Three times now ive got ready for this, i was so scared, words cannot describe how i was feeling, counld'nt sleep, eat, i was a mess for a good few weeks beforehand, i went into hospital monday afternoon (day before my opp) after saying goodbye to my little girl i was in floods of tears, im a very emtional person, i was in a 6 bedda room, with 3 other ladies, there wer'nt haveing the same as me, but similar, the night before i didnt sleep much, you dont when your not in your own bed, i was told by the nurse i was havin my opp done first, they would be waking me up at 6am to get me ready to go down at 8.30am, i failed to mention to you this was my first opp so not knowing what to excpect is the worst feeling ever, in the morning i had a shower, put a gown on, paper knickers lovely sexy stockings!! which i still wearing now,(i'm getting use to them) i was *hiting myself, now i think back i wonder why, because it wasnt that bad, i was taken down, the nurses was lovely and kept chatting to me to keep my mind busy, they put a needle in my arm, mask over my mouth and i was out like a light, i had a ovavian cystectomy, cut in my belly buttom, two either side one above bikini line, when i woke up in recovery ward i was in pain the nurse kept toppin up the morfine every 5 min, at 12.30pm i was taken back to my ward, feeling very tired and drowsey, was in and out of sleep through the day, i did have a cathater in, which was taken out the next day, plus the drip too, they gave me tramadole & paracetamol for the pain, on the wed afternoon i got up and had a shower before going home, very sore, slow to walk around but i getting there, for the first couple of days my partner had to help me get out of bed for me to use the bathroom as it sore to stand/sit/walk, this was all a week ago now, im still in bed, very bored with day time tv!! but i can walk around now by myself, it takes time and i dont want to rush it, i do hav pain in my shoulder from the gas they put in your stomach, that takes about two weeks till it wears off, i still sore and i still taking the pain relief,
i so pleased i finally went through it, its a very scary thought beforehand, but afterwards you'll be saying to yourself why was i so worried, i hope my story helps you or others, please feel free to ask any questions,
Good luck... you can do this
Mel
I was just told I have a 7 cm cyst on my lone left ovary (ultrasound). I had a hysterectomy 26 years ago. Can anyone out there tell me how they felt before their removal. I am in so much pain, constantly urinating, very bloated and constantly tired. My CA-125 came back today negative
I just had an dermoid removed from my left ovary and part of my ovary along with it. I went to the gyno for an annual check-up and told her about my discomfort. I had been feeling very uncomfortable in my own clothes, my stomach was swollen, my breast were tender, I had gained when actually i had been on strict diet and excercise for 2 months). She could tell I was becomming very frustrated and tearing up because it was affecting my life and again tryed to pass it off as depression and tried to perscibe me antidepressant. I was so upset and told her that was not the problem. 1 week later went in for an unltrasound(still in my mind thinking i was pregnant). She found an ovarian dermoid(ovarian tumor) on my left ovary and told me I had to have it out. 2 weeks later I had robotic surgery. Through my belly button and 3 other incisions about half an inch long. They pump you with air, so the recovery is very uncomfortable with all that trapped air in your lungs and stomach. My ribs and my back and stomach were all very sore, and was hard to get up and down. It took about 3 days for the worst of the pain to subside. Then just dealing with the boredome and frustration of not being able to do a damn thing.
I am 41 and was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 1 in February this year. I have had 2 breast operations and four weeks of radiotherapy. I then took Tamoxifen for 5 weeks and couldn't stand the side effects so decided to have both my ovaries and tubes out instead( has similar effect to Tamoxifen ie. stops Estrogen from fueling the cancer). I was in hospital for 2 nights and had keyhole surgery. The operation was fine although I was in pain when I came round. Now, 2 and a half weeks on, I am still having a dull ache/pain although it is getting  better by the day. You need lots of rest after this surgery and I think I need at least another 2/3 weeks yet. I haven't had too many menopausal symptoms as yet, mostly hot flushes and lots of night sweats. If this is all I suffer then I have definitely made the right choice in having my ovaries removed.

Wishing you all good luck with your surgeries. xx

Im 19, and today was told i had to get my large right ovarian cyst removed at the end of this month. I have had no pain from it at all, though it expands when i need a pee so that i can actually hold it in both hands (approx 10-12cm maybe less). Even though it wasnt causing me pain, i decided because it was near my reproductive organs to get it checked and was told it appeared to be a cyst upon my ovary.
I've only had 1 opperation before and that was for a small tumour growing on my left middle finger, i was in and out in 1 day (2 if you include the staying before the opperation). I was obviously able to continue life as normal besides being a little bit woosy still for a couple of days. Now this operation will be a C-Section type opperation because of the size of the cyst and also faces the removal of my ovary and lord knows what else. Im terrified of being put to sleep, terrified at what i'll wake up to and i have no idea what the pain will be like. My mum had a C-section when i was born, and she up and about almost immediatly (even the nurses forgot that she'd had a C-Section). Sadly she died this year so i cant ask her exactly what to expect. I've heard that some have cathetas (another thing I DONT WANT!) others apparently havent, also Epidurals, again i dont want this as ive heard they can hurt A LOT! >.<  
I'm terrified. I really feel nervous and keep crying at the thought. 3-4 days in hospital is scary, and i wont have anyone with me besides my fiance. I dont want to be left on my own, but i dont know if even for the 1st night, if my fiance can stay with me... Please give me some tips on what to expect, or at least a rough idea =(  Thankyou
My mum is having a cyst and her right ovary removed next week, they have said that it is around 17 cm, she is just starting to feel the pain now. Reading the comments on here it sounds the best thing to do as if it is not removed it will just keep growing!
I have had surgery for various things and have been put to sleep lots of times and its nothinng to worry about, in fact its actually quite nice. I had a natural birth with my son so i cannot comment on the C section, although many friends of mine have had one and they are walking around almost immediately, I think the restrictions are not driving or lifting anything for 10 days. I did have an epidural and I was nervous at first but it does not hurt at all, they will give you a small local injection in the same area before they put the epidural into your back so honestly you feel nothing and it is the best pain relief ever! Just think so many people have epidurals every day and if they were that painful people would not have them. As for staying in hospital, it can be boring but just take lots of magazines to keep yourself occupied, im sure there will be other girls in there having similar ops to you.

Good luck with your surgery, you will be fine  

I had my first scan on the 3rd August, my doctor phoned me the day after to ask me to go in to see him that day. Which in itself made me worry as how often does a doctor phone you to make an appointment! I went to see him the same day, was told I had a 22 x 19 x 12cm cyst and was refered to a gynea. The hospital phoned me on the 4th with an appointment to see the gynea on the 6th, where I was re-examined and had bloods done.
I asked about my holiday but she couldn't say and just said someone would be in touch before Friday. The next day the registars receptionist phoned me to say that it was too high of risk for me to travel, so once off of the phone set about canceling and claiming.
I had my CT scan on the 19th was told I'd be given something to drink and may be given an injection lol, well I didn't expect a 3lt jug to drink or to have a cannula put in and linked up to a IV.
I so sure it is still growing, all I can do is lay down if I sit I have extreme pain in my back. I can't wear my bra as my tummy is so big now that my bra digs into it and causes pain.
Now all I can do is lay and wait I've never had surgery so I'm scared I just want it over and done with. I should of been in Marmaris with my cousi and family and I'm stuck here :(
Hello!
I am 21 years old and I just (5 days ago) had my left ovary removed due to a 13 cm cyst growing on it. I was just as scared as you are! My experience was very similar to yours only I was in an extreme amount of pain. I had never had surgery before and yes -- was terrifeid. I was told that there was a chance that my other ovary may have to come out as well as my appendix. Turns out, everything else looked fine when they got in there. I had a c-section removal and also had an epidural which I was sooo scared to get. The freezing they put in before the epidural hurt more then the actual thing. Trust me -- you want the epidural. You are completely frozen! When you wake up from surgery you can't feel a thing!  For my sugery, the c-section cut was down just bellow my bikini line (no scar will show at the beach! yes!). It almost feels like I have down 100000 crunches. Like my tummy muscles are sore. They didn't put any staples for stiches in mine because they told me "young skin heals quicker so there was no need) and today is day 5 and they were right! It is bruised pretty badly but besides that it looks really good!  As for staying in the hospital, the only thing that ***** about it is the food. Nasty! Like haybev mentioned, just bring alot of magazines and books and stuff. I was out of the hopsital on my 2nd day. And as for the first night -I was so drugged up that I feel asleep as soon as I got into my room and slept the whole night! Oh I forgot to mention, I also had a cafetor (spelling?) which I thought was going to be really ackward but wasn't at all! In fact it was nice not to have to get up to pee lol! I couldn't feel it at all which was nice. This was my experience and I am sure yours will be much similar to mine. Good luck with everything and if you have any more questions just post them and I will do my best to answer them with regards to my experience. :)

Now, I have a few questions of my own.
I am supposed to start my 3rd year of university in 2 weeks. I am wondering if anyway thinks I will be able to attend my first week of classes or will I still be hurting? I have only been out of the hospital for 3 days and I have no idea what I am going to feel like in 2 weeks. I have to drive to university so I am wondering if that will be possible as well.

:)
Hi!
I am 11 days into recovery after my 3rd surgery of this type.  20+years ago had left ovary removed with grapefruit sized dermoid cyst.  2 years later had c-section for birth of my son.  Now had right ovary removed with ANOTHER dermoid cyst.  This time the dermoid 'parts' had wrapped around the fallopian tube & literally strangulated the ovary right off.  My ovary was just laying there in my pelvis.
Ok- enough drama- you need the opposite.  
The catheter (simply a tube in your urethra- so you won't have to get up with a fresh incision & pee) I didn't even feel it this time around.  Believe me it is Nothing - it is NOT painful at all.  & it is removed before you're even fully off of the effects of anethesia.
My C-section I was up & walking the first day & went home within 48 hours of my arrival.
I even only took 2 tylenol after I went home & that was it.  And keep in mind I had a newborn to attend to also.  
I had an epidural with the c-section.  I don't remember it being painful- but mind you I was in full on labor at the time.  My son was breech & had to do c-section after going through complete labor.
Your experience will largely be dictated by your attitude.
I am a bit of a control freak, and having medical procedures is the worst for my type of person.  However, I have a sister who is a nurse & I go into the hospital with a prepared mind.  I prepare myself with information (just like you are doing!- good job!) & then I lay myself with confidence in capable hands.  I decide to be & work at being a good patient.  In other words, be cooperative with what you're being asked to do in any given moment. They are there to help you, they know what they are doing.  And my experiences have always left me in awe of the medical personnel.  They are such giving & kind people.  
BREATHE.  You will have some pain to deal with.  It is manageable.  Relaxation techniques help.  Breathe.  You will be fine.  My first & this surgery were a full vertical incision.  They are much more painful & slower to recover than the c-section.  You'll be okay. Keep telling yourself that over & over until you believe it.  It's gonna' be okay.
OK - what to expect.  By day 3 I was walking as much as I wanted. Day 6 I'm walking a mile. 2 miles today.  I haven't taken a pain pill since day 6.  My head feels fuzzy, but it is from too much laying around, I kinked my neck.  I'm still not lifting anything more than a plate of food.  I did too much day 7 & 8 & could feel it around my incision.  Follow orders!  You'll recover much faster getting up & walking as frequently as tolerated, but don't push it & lift things- Don't vacuum. Avoid stairs at first.  They will give you a detailed do & don't list of discharge instructions.  And if you are instructed & allowed a certain pain medication regimen- use it.  Some people need less, some need more- be kind to yourself.  Personally, I stopped using any narcotic pain meds ASAP & used ibuprofen/ tylenol only as needed.  I've known people who've gotten addicted to the narcotic kinds & so I minimize their use- but that's a whole nother subject.
Um- well I'm prone to long-winded-ness so I'll quit - now- any further questions are welcome! Good luck.
I went to doc yesturday and he told me i have a 4 cm cyst in the left side of my lower stomache (my overies). Well i have a couple more i think he said 3 more smaller ones. They cause so much pain when I bend, lift, or well realy anything even just walk. My doc said it will keep hurting this bad till I do something about it. I gives me very sharp stabbing pains. Does any body know how long I would be out of work? How bad does surgery hurt? If you have any information please help me out.

I have a cyst on my left ovary that is likely going to have to come out along with both my ovaries.  My Dr. plans to do it laparoscoply (is that a word?).  I have had a couple of lap procedures before and have generally done fine with them....the difference is this.  I now have a mesh patch in my abdomen behind my belly button from an incisional hernia repair that was needed due to prior lap procedure.  The hernia repair was done as an open surgury and I'm not sure how big the patch is.......Does anyone have experience with going "through" a patch for a lap procedure and is the recovery any different?  Thanks!

Judy
I am 28 years old and i jus got married last july. 3 years ago i had an operation due to raptured ovarian cyst resulting to the removal of my left ovary together with the fallopian tube. I have a normal monthly period and i don't feel any pain so i wasn't expecting that i have this until it will turn into trouble when it raptures. a month after my wedding i went to my ob-gyn and found that i have 5 x 6 cm cyst on my right. It feared me a lot since we are trying to have baby. God helped me because it is just by chance operation if they can save my ovary still. My doctor did it. I am still in my recovery period and soon I hope to have child. Knowing that i am not alone by reading what you posted helped me to feel better... God bless us! Pray for me guys!
Was told last week that I had a Complex Ovarian Cyst.  Talked to the doctor and she stated that it needed to be removed via laproscopy surgery.  She did stay that if the Cyst has attached to any other organs they would have to stop and do the "C" section.  Has anyone ever had this once the laproscopy surgery had already begun??  I am keeping faith that the surgery will be routine and no other concerns arise.  I only have mild discomfort from time to time so can't say that it has been that bad.  I initially went in because I was not getting my period.  

So glad to have found this board...it has put my mind at ease somewhat.  Good luck to those out there who are still awaiting surgery!
I am 29 years old, had my left ovary removed 10 years ago and now have to have a new cyst (or likely endometrosis again) removed from my remaining right ovary in early November. I have several questions: If you suspect they may have to remove your ovary, is it a good idea to extract eggs for freezing before the surgery? Or can egg harvesting occur during an oophorectomy? Is it dangerous to get pregnant if you have an existing cyst? Bummer that this surgery thing has to occur again... I thought I was in the clear after the left one was removed....

Thanks for the support
hi,

Im actually only 18 yrs old and have a hemorragic (dont no how to spell that) cyst on my left ovary. its only 4 1/2 cm. but i have alot of pain during intercourse, and sometimes if im just laying there. i have surgery next thur. but im soo scared. im on scholarship so i need to get back into my sport soon...i just want to make sure im not gonna be infertile because i want kids in the future, and should i just ride out the pain or not? ugh, idk what to do. im just freaking myself out:(

allison
i just had my right ovary removed because it got twisted.i was told that what happened was very rare and it scared me but now that i have been released i have been having soooo much pain and i thought that by now i would start to feel better its been like 5 days since the segury so my question to all of you is how long were you in pain for? my doctor acts like i should not have any pain but i still cant even get out of bed on my own yet so please help i need answers and i hate being in so much pain exspecialy when i have 4 kids and my nine month old is probably wonedering why mom cant pick her up and hold her like i normally do please help i want to hold my lil girl again!!!!!

I am sat on my sofa after coming out of hospital yesterday.

I had a 10cm endo and chocolate cyst removed from on ovary and the cyst on my other had apparently gone away! I was expecting to lose an ovary but didn't, which is good. I found the op quite painless except for the trapped air that remained under my ribs and into my shoulders (from where they puffed me up to look about inside)...this I found very painfula and scary as I couldn't breath or lay down. I also felt very sick from the anesthetic every time I sat up. I was in for 2 nights because of this.

Anyway....my main question is about my mental state. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for a few years and everyone was convinced it must be hormonal. I am feeling really down since coming out of hospital. I am terrified my mental state will remain fragile and I will always feel like this.

Has anyone else had mental/emotional problems aswell as physical ones? or am I just clutching at straws hoping the cyst had more to do with it that it did?

i  am 20 years old and recently had a dermoid cyst removed which was only 4inches big.
i had to have a laraptomy i think it was called, the vertical incision on my bikini line.
this was my first ever operation so i dont know what to expect during the healing process. i went for my dressing checkup and was told i am healing beautifully and that i no longer needed the dressing and to let as  much air get to it as possible. anywhoooo, the area just under my scar is quite warm and hard to touch, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if this was normal? thankyou x
I just started to have severe shots of pain in my lower left abdomen recently.  It started out feeling like menstrual cramps.  But the last couple of days, I have been sitting/walking when these shooting pains cause me to bend over in pain.

How long after the actual pain starts should I consider seeing my gyno?  I don't want to see like a hypercondriac, so I wanted ask how long I should I wait to call my gyno without seeming overly-reactive?
I had a 15cm cyst, endometroma, laparoscopically removed about 6 weeks ago.  I took a week off work and the recovery went well.  However, since I have been back at work, my glutes get very sore, too sore to sit or stand.  It is fine when I lie down.  Every morning, after a good night's sleep, I feel fine but the glutes start getting sore again every afternoon.  I thought it would go away but it seems like it might be getting worse.  Before the surgery I was relatively active, I ran and did yoga a few times a week.  I just started yoga again a couple times a week to try to rebuild my core, hoping it might alleviate some of the pain or pressure on my glutes but the yoga does not seem to be helping.  Any idea what might be wrong?
Its been 4 weeks since my surgery and I have returned to work.  I was suppose to return after my check up on the 22nd of november. I called my dr and explained how I felt and she gave me instructions. I feel wonderful, I had cysts on my ovaries and tubes and the surgery went well.  I was up the next day  and went home in 2 days.  I did not want to take the chance of having just the cysts removed , so the tubes and ovaries were removed.  I had a partial 28 years ago and I am 48 now.  Just do what your dr says and everything will go smoothly.  Good Luck with your decisions.
Hi. I'm 42yo and jad my L ovary, L tube, and a 10cm+ cyst removed 3 days ago. I went home from the hospital the day after surgery even though I was vomiting and sore. I decided to stop taking Percocet yesterday and only take Motrin. But today is the worst day, feeling sore, nauseous, light headed, clammy, started having dry cough, and had one episode of vomiting. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.
Hi. I am having an ovary removed, I have endometriosis and a complex cyst on my right ovary. Decided to have it taken out. How long after surgery before you can start exercising again? Mine is supposed to be done laparoscopically, so I think it's day surgery. I haven't been contacted yet with my surgery schedule. Anyhow I am a little nervous and am really glad to have found you all. Hugs. ren
My mom recently had an ovarian surgery. She finally got the last of her ovaries removed. She has no problem with the surgery and seems to be healing very well.
The problem she has is that she got some infection just above where the cut was done, on either side of her belly button. The infections are filled with pus and are very hard when you feel them. She gets a little relieved when the pus comes out. Was wondering what that might be? Is it a reaction from anaesthetics or what could it be?

Concerened son
I am a 37year old mother of 2, had both of my ovaries removed on 1-11-11, surgery went well, at the hospital at 7am, home by 5p same day.  Overall I knew what to expect from surgery, had a cyst removed in 06, the same cyst came back, so I decided to jus have them both removed.  Besides a lil discomfort from the 3 small incisions in my belly, I recovered or should I say I felt better by the next week, taking pain med made me constipated, which was very uncomfortable.  Was already dealing with symptoms of Menapause from breast cancer so already knew what to expect.
I am 41 yrs. old and a mother of two pretty girls. I had a "mucinous cystadenoma" which was twice as big as a newborn baby's head according to my sonography result so I went under surgery last Jan. 14, 2011. They also removed my right ovary as well. Frozen section was done and my biopsy result turned out benign. Thank God. Surgery was similar to C-section on Friday and I went home Monday, Jan 17, 2011. It's been a week now and so far, I feel lesser pain everyday. Although it's difficult to cough, sneeze and laugh at first, pain will diminish as days go by. Movements are limited but I'm looking forward to a speedy recovery....I'm just soooo glad that thing was already out of my system....
I am so glad I am not alone..It sounds like us woman have to endure so much in our life times. So men actually have this many problems? lol
I have a 12cm dermoid cyst removed when I was in my 20`s. I had endometrios, and fibroid tumors. After my thris child at 3o I had an emergency hysterectomy and the remove all but one ovary.  I am now 49 going to be 50 in May of this yr.. I am having so much back pain, leg pain, fatigue, and a vaginal discharge that just wont die. I have read so much on ovarian cancer and I think I am only making myslef more depressed then what I am. I went in for a xrays for the pain in my back and hip/leg last week and they found a 5cm cyst on the last ovary. My Doctor is calling it another dermoid cyst. Is this normal I asked him? He said it was rare to have 2 dermoid cysts but it can happen. I now have to wait 2 weeks to go for a pelvic ultrasound.. My mind, due to my age is so comsumed with the C word right now..
I cannot belive how common these cysts are now. I have read alot of your comments and alot of you woman have these cysts. How crazy is this..
I am just scared. I have no family and I am single. My friends are great but sometimes I just hate to burden them.
Im so glad I found this group of women with the same problem, I was just told today that I have a tumor on my right ovary more than likely it is benign.  They took a lot of blood and a urine sample.  I am awaiting the results.  The doc said I will probably have to have it removed but this explains the fatigue I have been experiencing the last month or so!  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! I have never had surgery before and was already getting anxious but you all have helped!
I am 29 years old and I am going to be having both of my ovaries removed. I have been fighting extreme endometriosis for years and had a lap surgery a couple years ago and my dr said it was "everywhere". She started me on the Lupron Depot to completely stop my estrogen production in hopes that it would resolve. Another thing I had been dealing with for years was bi-polar disorder, depression and anxiety. A month after the shot I came off all of my meds for my bi-polar disorder and I feel like a normal human now... I had still been having pain from the endometriosis though. I have been on the shot for a year and a half and they told me that I could no longer stay on it because there are no long term studies that are in favor of long term use. So my Dr. offered the option of having my ovaries out, also because I am still having endometriosis issues. I am nervous about the surgery and how long I will be out of commission.... Any advise?

~Melissa
Hi Everyone, im 22 years old, i had a 22 cm cyst on my right ovary and the doctor did a laparascopy to remove my cyst along with the right ovary. It has been 6 wks since my surgery and i want to ask you guys if is normal to have low back pain and abdominla pain eventhough it has been 6 wks since my surgery? Also, does anyone know what are the changes that your body may have from having an ovary removed? I would love to hear your advice.
Wow this thread is like a mini community all of it's own, how wonderful that everyone pulls together.
I'm waiting to see consultant so they can tell me more of what to expect. I'm also awaiting the results of my ca125
Does anyone know how long after seeing consultant / gyno for first time will the op be performed?
Best wishes to everyone x
I had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary 3 weeks ago. I am recovering relatively well. a couple of things i would be aware of if you are about to have surgery - have lot of pillows handy for your return home. i needed so much support really due to the immense pain from the gas you are filled with which really affected my shoulders. i slept & rested most comfortably reclined with a pillow under my knees. be gentle & don't have great expectations of speedy recovery. feel a little cross that hospital literature suggests one feels "back to normal" after a couple of days. we women put enough pressure on ourselves to do it all, reading that i felt guilty not to be back at work & active. so, take the time you can as you will need it.
i have a question: the dermoid cyst ruptured when it was removed. i believe the fluid inside this type of cyst is rather potent & therefore responsible for the very specific & awful pain i felt immediately as i cam out of the anaesthetic. i have subsequently been back to gp, then A&E and finally a consultant as i now have little lumps (apparently subaceous cysts) that have come up on my labia. i am SO frustrated and REALLY uncomfortable. has anyone else had this reaction? i am told it is not a direct result but that my body may be run down... however, further surgery may be required unless 1/ they go away of their own accord, which i've been advised is not likely or 2/ if i decide i cannot live with them! um. well. i can live with them but sitting down, sex, going to the toilet... all kinda uncomfortable.. so life would be rather less than fulfilling! has anyone else had this situation arise? or are you familiar with the little glands/ swellings in the labia around the vagina? gross i know, but that's what this board is for!
thanks for advice & for those who are about to have surgery, don't be afraid... it really will be okay.
I am 51, just had my second surgery for a Dermoid cyst removal.  I had my first Dermoid at age 19 in 1979, it was huge, weighed 5 lbs, they did open surgery and took out one ovary along with the fallopian tube.  I was able to have a baby at age 32 naturally with my remaining ovary.  Now 18 years after I had my son I have had a second Dermoid removed from my remaining ovary. (which I believe was only about the size of a lemon).   The doctor was able to leave my remaining ovary though so hopefully I will avoid a surgical menopause which I have read is worse than natural menopause which I am now going through anyway.

Hopefully I won't have any more cysts on the remaining ovary, but if I do have another one grow on the ovary I will just have it removed because I don't want to have any more operations.  Also, I am afraid of ovarian cancer.  Anyway I am feeling fortunate that both of these Dermoids were benign.

I had a sister who died from a rare sarcoma of the uterus (Leiomysarcoma), fortunately my doctor says I don't have any fibroids in my uterus or any other masses.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I had Laprascopic surgery for my recent surgery which was done in early March 2011.  The gas they put in my abdomen (CO2) was very painful, it went up into my neck, shoulder area and rib cage.  The pain from the gas was actually worse than the pain from the incisions (I have 4, 3 in the bikini area and one in the belly button).  Anyway, I had to take a Xanax due to having a panic attack from this gas pain because it felt like my body was going to explode.  I also took 3 - 4 Motrin every few hours for the first 3 - 4 days for pain.  The Percocet they gave me made me nauseous, and the incision pain wasn't that bad so I just stuck to taking Motrin and an occasional Xanax that I have for anxiety.  It's been about 16 days since surgery and I am not completely healed yet, my stomach still feels swollen and I have some pain inside.  I read in the doctor's report that he also went in through my vagina for some reason and dilated my cervix during the surgery.  I also had a urine catheter put in which caused a lot of pain urinating for about 2 weeks.  I was able to have it removed before I woke up from anesthesia but I felt like it had bruised my urethra and the inside of the bladder.  
Hi all! i had an ovarian cyst the size of a new born baby's head removed 20 August 2010. I am 19 years old and it's been 7 months since my surgery but i still get the same pain! I get it really bad about two weeks before my period.

Is this normal??

Please help!
Thank you for sharing your story.  I also have a 30 cm ovarian cyst which is to be removed in a few days.  It is the size of a 30 wk pregnancy, and I had been trying to lose my 'belly fat' for months without success.  Your story encouraged me; I hope I lose 20 pounds with this surgery as you did!  
Hi All,
This forum is great - really helps to have a soundingboard amongst women who are all goingthrough the same thing - so thanks for sharing! I've just turned 29, I have a 'chocolate cyst' on my left ovary of about 9cm and am due to have it removed by laporoscopic surgery on 3rd May (i also have a very small one on the right side too).  I am, like many have expressed, very nervous. They haven't said that they'll remove my ovary, I hope not! Just wondering, ahs anyone aksed you about your diet  / lifestyle?  I'm surpirsed that noone has really mentioned this as it must be vital to prevnting them growing again.  Not even my gynaecologist has queried me about this. Upon my own research, and also trough a friend who had a severe case of endomotriosis (she ended up having a full hysterectomy at the age of 26), so-called health products like soya are detrimental to cysts as they cause them to grow and cause hormonal imbalance....has anyone heard anything like this? What advice can anyone give pertaining to diet? Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone's doing well , whether post or pre-op. Love to all! Sxx
I am awaiting the date for surgery to have a 7cm dermoid cyst removed and possibly my left ovary. I have a fairly active job, I am a teacher of a large class of 52 5 years olds. Does anyone have any idea if the doctors estimate of 4 weeks off work is a realistic timescale?

I have so many more questions to ask about the surgery but I'm not going to try and think about that now xx
After surgery do you have bleeding like a period?
I had a 20+ cm cyst and right ovary removed on April 13th laparoscopically and my Doc said I should be good to go back to work on the 18th. Monday morning came, up I got and into work I went. Believe me, I could've stayed home a few days more. Extremely tired at the end of the day. I also have trouble sleeping (I'm a side-sleeper, which I can't do right now), so I'm not getting a lot of sleep. Take the 4 weeks, relax and enjoy!!
Im only 17 year old n I got my right ovary taken out it was 7 cm I had two ovarian cyst one on my right n left they left my left side cuz the cyst was inside of the ovary or something. But the doctor told me that my left ovary is 85% a cyst. I just started getting a sharpe pain on my left side. So I will have to get the surgey again but I was wondering wat the other opening will be at.?
I had a 6cm cyst removed along with my right ovary on April 8th.  The doctor wanted to remove it via laproscopic surgery but ended up making 2 small incisions along my c-section scar.  I had some bleeding for about a week.  After about a week and a half, I had little pain and no stitches.  I still experience some pain where the cyst was, especially when my bladder is full.  I don' t know how long it will last, but the good news is that it's bearable.  I have a follow-up appointment on Friday and am praying all is well and we can resume trying to have our second child.
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for sharing your stories. I have a couple of questions as well.

I heard that removing even one ovary can cause cognitive damage (trouble with memory mainly) and I'm worried about it. Has anyone had that happen? I have a complex cyst on my right ovary that causes a lot of pain, but it has yet to change size, is only 3cm, and has not changed shape. It's attached and it has blood flow. My doctor is looking at removing the one ovary, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I also am worried that it will lower my sex drive. It may sound shallow, but it's an important aspect of my husband's and my relationship. I don't want to lose our intimacy to an ovary.

Please, if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.
Im 18 years old and have a 3.3 cm cyst on my left ovary. im really worried about this as my nan had ovarian cancer and it skipped my mums generation so doesnt that make it quite likely i could get it? Anyway it gives me a lot of pain sometimes. Do you think they will want to remove it? Im only young and i would like kids when i have my life set out. im really worried.please help.

Leanne
I am due to go into hospital in 2 weeks to have both ovaries removed Laproscopically. It is a preventative measure as my Mum and Cousin both past away in their late 40's from Ovarian Cancer. I am now 37 and have two wonderful children, so I don't wish to have anymore children and asked if I could have them removed. I am a keen runner (running approx 20 miles 4 times a week) and wanted to know how long it would take to recovery and when I mean recover, I mean back pounding the streets again. Can anyone help?
At 51, once again having to deal with the possibe "C".  Two years ago an irregular pap test result came up with my GP,  then the 1St Gyno did additional testing and said everything was okay and we will just check every 6 months,  after 2 years, finally after my GP sent me for an Kidney ultrasound the tech,  found out there was nothing wrong with my kidneys but that I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary.  Changed Gyno and immediately she found the cyst and scheduled surgury and removal of ovaries and tubes as well.  Turns our there were several cysts on both ovaries and due to scar tissue and complication of the surgury the Gyno was able to remove it thur a bikini cut, which I previousely already had due to a c-sec 22 years ago.  Women out there even if you do not have any symptoms any irregular cells that cannot be explained must be explained!!  If your gut tells you to double check don't take the opion of a laxadasy Gyno,  this cyst went 2 years untreated and who knows if this could have been avoided, or had a less invasive procedure to remove or prevent numerous cysts.  I am greatful to the my Gp,  the Tech, and my new Gyno.
http://www.endo-resolved.com/diet.html

The above website has excellent dietary advice. The biggest issue for me is cutting out dairy and wheat products. (I love whole-wheat bread and cheese of any kind.) Apparently they mimic estrogen and create and imbalance in your hormones.
I was recently diagnosed with a probable endometrioma on my right ovary, (10.8 cm by 11 cm) and the doctors have recommended that it be removed. I also have 3 fibroids on/in my uterus. I am terrified by the prospect of surgery. My husband and I want to start a family, and I'm already 38 yrs. old.  

Great forum, I am 26, and I have a huge cyst on my left ovary and a smaller one on my right. when i had the scan 9 weeks ago the cyst was 15cm x 11 x 10. and now I know it has definitely doubled at least. The other one was 4cm. The surgeon wanted me to have it out a few weeks ago but my husband works away so have to wait for him to come home and I am due for surgery in 2 weeks and have to have it via c section which is a bummer as i've got 3 kids and never had to worry about that before. I have a small frame so it's like i'm 5 months pregnant with this in my stomach so I will be happy to have it out. Although I probley will loose the left ovary. Anyone else had one this size and does it make recovery longer?
I am scheduled for surgery on June 28th.  Thank you all for posting. It makes life easier know expectations.  I have a almost 8cm syst on my right ovary.  They are taking my right tube and ovary out with the cyst laproscopic.  My doctor says I would only be out of work a few days.  I work at a very busy law office and have taken two weeks off as a result of reading your posts.  I know everyone heals differently. Hope everyone is recoving well and best of luck to those who are going in.
I had a laparotomy on 19/6/2011 to remove a 11 cm simple cyst from my left ovary.i wa in th hospital for 3 days.mines was a simple cyst, it could have been done with laproscopy but my gyno said it is better to have one 2-3 inches bikini line cut thn 3-4 small cuts on stomach. My gyno said i will recover within one month because mines was a small surgery(thank god!!). but i still feel upset about my 1 and 1/2 year old baby boy as i am not able to pick him up when he wants me to. he cries a lot for that as he is very attached  to me.. I thank god for being blessed with the BEST HUSBAND (he is playing role of mother and father both now).i hope and pray god to recover soon so that i should be able to ake care of my baby soon.

all the best to all u ladies and may god showers good health on everyone

God bless everyone!
My 7 cm cyst just starting causing me great pain and fever on Sat.  I am scheduled to have it removed on Fri.  I am concerned about the fever. Has anyone had one with a cyst and know the cause of it?  Also, the doctor has just finished his residency 1-2 years ago, so is fairly new.  Should I be concerned?  He said it would be a 90 min laproscopic procedure and I could go home the same day.
I am 25 years old and a student. I also had a recent operation of right ovarian cyst but thank God my ovary need not be removed. It was a 15cm serous mass filled with 2ltrs of fluid appox. I didnot have any symptom so the cyst grew such bigger without my knowledge. It was when I visited our home physician for some irregular mense problem which I have been facing from the very beginning, he suggested USG which showed the giant mass occupying the iliac fossae more in right side. The only safe treatment suggested was open surgery. I was really scared when I heard this. I used to get numb at the very thought of an injection and now this surgery!!! The operation was fixed one day after I got the USG report. All the required tests were hurriedly done by then. I hardly got time to prepare myself mentally. My mom was the biggest support to me and I left everything on her and God. The operation was successful according to my doctor and I was relieved that my ovary need not be removed but my right fallopian tube has to be removed. Doctor said it won't affect my future life as I am unmarried. Initially when I regained my senses I could only feel a tremendous pain in my abdomen. But thanks to the pain killers, with each day it became better. I was discharged on the 4th day and by 1 week time I could feel that I became totally fit. And now 24 days have passed, though the mark is still there but with the prescribed ointment its getting lighter. So believe me the cyst operation is not a big deal. I was such a fearful girl, if I could fight it successfully you also can do it. So best of luck for an early recovery. Take care and Get well soon.
Hi.
I'm 40 yrs old and just had surgery on July 18/2011 for an 8" cyst on my left ovary. I ended up with a 7' cut in my bikini line and 12 stitches. When I finally woke up 3 1/2 hrs later in recovery my left ovary and tube was gone. I spent 2 days in the hospital on the 3rd day I was sent home with no pain meds and no instructions on how to care for my incision. My Family Doctor called me on the 4th day wanting to know when I was sent home, he was mad at the fact I was not still in the hospital and no one informed him that I was leaving. He then sent a perscription to my pharmacy with instructions and informed me I was not to drive for 2-3 weeks and made an appointment for 4 weeks at which time I will know if I can return to work. In return if it wasnt for my Husband and I wanting to start a family I would not have known that I had a cyst that was growing at 1-3" every 6 weeks. So I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you SEE and TALK to your specialist and your family doctor before you leave the hospital, make sure you know everything there is to know on how to care for yourself and if you dont think you are ready to leave dont let them push you out the door.  
Hi I am having my left ovary removed because of the cysts the doctor has been waiting and seeing since Feb its now August . My surgery is scheduled on the 14 September, I have a 11cm, on my left a 3.5 cm on my left and on my right ovary a 5 cm, they have got smaller a bit but haven't gone away as planned, im a bit scared but I am not new to surgery , have had two cSections and a vaginal hysterectomy, I am 36
Good luck to everyone here
I am scheduled on Aug 29 for surgery for a 30cm tumor/cyst mass that is about 32lbs.  It is still growing as I have grown about an inch a week since diagnosis about 3 weeks ago.  Please don't think I am vain but I am concerned not about the surgery but if they remove the excess skin from all the stretching or do they just leave it there sagging looking terrible?

They still don't know what else has to be removed...full hysterectomy, bowel, any other organ that has fused with it.....

I would just rather focus on something minor than worrying about a port or colostomy bag right now...

Thanks and good luck to all of you....hoping for a response from someone who has been there....also in Canada.
I am 34 years old, got married last November, with no children. I have had issues with my left ovary for about 2 and 1/2 years. I originally had a complex ovarian cyst of about 3 cm that would shrink to about 1 cm. I think this happened a couple of times. About 4 weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with this throbbing pain on my left side. Another ultra sound and I have a 6cm complex cyst. I did a follow up ultra sound and the cyst shrunk so slightly. I have that dull pain on and off. I went through all ranges of feelings from complete uncontrollable fear of having cancer to feeling that my chances of conceiving a biological child is over. I am having surgery August 17 and am trying to stay very positive. I am having laparoscopic surgery unless my doctor feels she has to open me up. There is a chance I might lose my left ovary. She said though my right ovary looks normal and that's all I need to conceive and for hormones. I am very scared, but glad to have found this community.
Hi All, I am 26 years old and last week Aug 19th I had laproscopic surgery to remove a 10cm by 8cm dermoid cysts on my left ovary. Going in my doctor wasnt sure what kind of cyst it was (he thought it was municus cystdomonia sp?) and if he would be able to take it out laproscopically. Ended up he did remove it the laproscopic way and only had to remove 10% of my left ovary. After getting the pathology reports today, turns out it was a dermoid cysts filled with brain tissue! Ew! I feel completely fine now. The surgery was a lot easier that I had expected. The worst part was the week before worrying myself and after, the gas pain in my shoulders and neck area. Im am still a little concerned that the cyst could return, and I am hoping everything healed right inside. I wish I could get an ultasound now to see if everything looks right and then again every other month! I just dont want it to come back. This forum was very helpful. Thanks for all your posts!
Thank God I found this forum, I had my surgery August 9th with bikini cut hemoragic cyst on both ovaries, endometrosis scaring on bowels and removal of right ovary and tube. Surgery went well, still home from work walking moving well now. I find my self very emotional now, hormones are crazy! 41 years of age and no children. I was feeling pain on right side and had bowel movement problems and was diagnosed with endometrosis. Now I feel much better going back to work soon and Thankful all is well. Healing process will take some time, just hurts when I cough or pass gas, but overall I feel much better God bless ladies.
Iam 35 have two beautiful kids. I recently statred getting my period every two weeks with back pain and lower right abdomen pain. I have problems with IBS so wasn't sure what was what,but the periods every two weeks alarmed me. Called Dr. on a Monday got in that day was sent to get an ultrasound on Wedsnday the same week found a cyst with a mass inside,very scarey they sent me right to a obgyn oncology Dr. My family Dr. called and told me I had a malignant tomor on y ovary and that 9 times out of ten they r begin.wow! Anyway had to take the CA125 blood test was slightly elevated at 48.7. Which my Ob oncology Dr. was not alarmed. the conslutation was remove ovary. POSSIBLE robotic hystarectomy if borderline cancer, and if cancer cut from pubic area up to chest with ip port and all.. All went well ovary out home the same day. All is well.So my advise is mind over matter..Your mind will play games with you so think positive..Have used my pain meds but feel pretty well amd its the next day..Thanks for writting these stories its nice to read other peoples stuff.
I am 46 and just had my left ovary removed on Thursday. The procedure was laproscopic.  The doctor also performed a DnC and Novasure procedure to help with heavy bleeding.  I was told that I have no restrictions as far as driving, lifting or activity.  She sent me home with only three days of pain meds and felt that I would be fine after that.  I am still having a lot of pain on my left side and am having difficulty sitting or standing for any length of time without it really hurting.  I wish that I had some idea of what to expect or when I might begin to feel better.
My wife had cyst removed about a month ago now she started to bleed from her anus I just need to know if this is normal or if I should see a dc
hi my name is sally i had funny bleeding and pain in my lower back and tummy went to doctor she just said it was ibs and i need to lose weight i went back time and time again she sent me 4 a scan and they found a 6cm mass they then did a transvaginal my doc told me the next day i had appointment with gyno  by this time i am a mess went to gyno he said thinks its a dermoid and he was not  thinking cancer at this point said i had to have mri i went 4 that and did not do very well i shook 2 day i got a letter saying i had to go for a ct scan i rang and asked why and they said mri was no good wasent clear what it was so i rang doc he said i have somthing else on other side as well whatever these are they are complex and i am so worried i feel like im going mad i have 2 children and im so worried its cancer can someone talk to me
hi my name is jessica i am 29 years old and am scheduled for surgery on oct 26th to have my right ovary removed i went to the dr for bowl problems and when they did a ct scan they found that i have a ovarion teratoma or dermoid cystic tumor i am nervous about everything i have never had surgery and i have two kids 9 and 11 so i need to be back to normal as soon as possible how long does it usually take and has anyone else had this type of tumor and if so was it cancer because they said it is most likely not but it could be so i am really scared
Went back to my Dr. today and she scheduled my surgery for Oct. 31st. Halloween.... That made me feel a little weird.... She is removing a tumor from my left ovary 3cm and is concerned because of the Cancers that run in my family.... I am nervous also... I just have to hope and Pray for a good outcome... I was just wanting to know how long before they know if it is Cancer? She said sometimes they can make a diagnosis during the surgery? Just nervous about it all
jessica4997, both teratoma and dermoid cysts are normally benign, more than 95% of all cysts are benign with even better odds for women younger than 40, so try not to worry too much. Recovery time depends on the type of surgery, laparoscopic (keyhole) is faster to recover from, you will most likely be able to go home after surgery and recovery time will be from a couple of days to two weeks depending how much pain you experience. Open laparosopy will require a 4-5 day hospital stay and ~6 weeks recovery time.

priceangeld, during surgery they may freeze a small section of the cyst and look at it under a microscope, it is not a 100% sure way of diagnosing cancer/non cancer, but gives them a good idea what is going on. They will only know for sure after sending samples to the lab. I dont know how long it will take them to get the result, but Im sure the ladies here who has been through surgery will have a better idea.

Best of luck to your both
hello my names tilly im 17 years old a year and a half ago i was in a bad car crash that saved my life when the doctors cheaked me over and gave me all the scans i needed they found a cyst on my ovary it had grown to 11"1/2 cm it had attached to my womb and bowls i had an opp to have it removed!! they took the hole ovary out!! ever since iv been in and out of hospital in horrible pain. today i went to the hospital to find out the results of my last scan and they told me that when i had the opp the missed a tiny tiny bit of my ovary and it had repaired itself and is now producing eggs the doctor told me if i had of been on the pill they never would have known because it was getting ready to produce an egg for this month! i went from one ovary to 2 working ovarys!!
I have really enjoyed reading everybody's post..it is so great to know that there are others that are going through or have gone through what I am going through. In the past 3 weeks I have gone through being told I had fibroids and needed a hysterectomy, to now I have a huge cyst off my right ovary...about the size of a 6 month pregnancy...which I will have removed this coming Wed. the 26th of Oct. Dr is going to remove it via a c-section cut, removing it and my ovary as a whole unit...he said he didnt NOT want it to rupture while being removed due to it possibly being the "c" word. How on earth is he gonna get this huge thing out without draining it first??? I am 38 and, as far as I know, have no family history of the 'c" word and I know that God is in control! Blessings to all!
I am 60 and scheduled for a salpingophorectomy, mini laparotomy. I've never had surgery, never been hospitalized. I live alone, and am worried. Just emailed my doctor to see if laparoscopic surgery is possible instead because recovery seems MUCH better. Any advice?
sharon812, at your age you most likely started your menopause, and cysts and other woman problems at that age makes the alarm bells ring. Cancer risk is higher in your age, but there should still be a good chance it is benign. I dont know the stats for your age group, 95% of all cysts are benign, with cancer in 40 and younger being very unlikely.
I read somewhere that they prefer laparotomy in older women or if there is a risk of cancer in young women to see exactly what is going on, get biopsies etc. Healing wise, laparoscopy is much easier to recover from and ought to be considered if your blood tests didnt reveal any cancer.
If your tumour markers are low and your doctor wont consider laparoscopy, you could try to get a second opinion.

I would also reckomend you chat your family about getting some help the first days you are home to help you get around. Alternatively chat the hospital, they may be able to arrange something.

Be strong and good luck.
Thank you for your advice. I very much appreciate the information. I hope to speak with my doctor this week.

I don't think I've had any blood tests, so I'm going to ask about that.I've had an ovarian cyst for 5+ years. My obgyn has wanted to remove it the past couple years, but I've resisted. It doesn't bother me, and annual ultra sounds have shown no change. Then this summer, my doctor said the cyst had grown. I don't know the size of type... don't think she told me.

Yes, I went through menopause 10-years ago. My doctor did tell me she would test the cyst for cancer during surgery and may have to remove both ovaries or even do a complete hysterectomy. I have no cancer in my family, I'm really healthy, and I'm not worried about ovarian cancer. I'm more concerned about the surgery and recovery.

Again, I appreciate your advice, and this forum!

Sharon
I have consytant pain on my left side I have a large cyst on my right with chambers I've been in hospital an they sent me home feel ill tired weak had MRI scan am scared in case its cancer. Its 8 inches by 5 inches
hi, Im 17 years old and i had and M.R.I. to see why i have never had a period. They found out that i have TWO TUMORS!!!!!! One that is behind my blader touching my spinal cord and another on my Right OVARY. One of the tumors is 12 cms and the other is 6cm. the doctors believe i have had these tumors since i was 6 years old because that is when i started to have horrible back pains. they also believe that becuase of the tumors it has affected my growth/development. I'm really scared because im going to need surgery. I want to know how long surgery might last and how long is recovery time.
thank you.
I had a small dermoid about 1*0.5 cm size located underneath of my right eye. It has developed over a period of year (since my child hood). It is look like nonpain swollen mass about 0.2 gram. Eventhough I donot have problem with dermoid. But I was little nervous as it was on my face. So, I decided to  go for surgery in Ramachandra Medical college and hospital. just I went to surgery room around 10.00AM, within fifteen minutes surgery was successfully finished. Iam so surprised. Because I have carried with me this dermoid  for the last 25 years. After removing the dermoid, Doctor showed  it to me. I am exited to see this. But somehow, it was successfully removed. Just I want express my sincere thanks to Professor A. RAVI, General surgeon, Sri Ramachandra Medical college and hospital for his effort to remove the dermoid.

G. Subramaniyan

G. Subramaniyan
I had my left ovary removed on Nov 4th due to a 1.5cm cyst.  I am post menapausal [although youngish 47] and they told me to get the whole thing removed...After my hubby going through cancer treatment I thought, yeah, whatever....Just over a week later, [I had keyhole surgery], I still have 2 of 3 bandages, the belly button one is the sorest when I try to bend over.  I still have to be careful, even though told 5-7 days recovery. ]was only in overnight, no pain meds, only hurt when getting out of bed & bending - to go to loo etc.  Now my right ovary is slightly aching from time to time from today, day 8.  Thinking it's fretting! If continued in 2 days will go to GP. The docs said the whole ovary was larger then the other....would rather have surgery than cancer...love Jeanna xoxoxo
Back in October, I went to the doctor for my annual physical. During the exam my Doctor expressed concern and asked me to come in the following week for an sonogram. After the sonogram, it was determined that I had a mass going on my right ovary that was, from what the doctor could tell was about 13cm (or roughly the size of a grapefruit). I had no pain what so ever, in fact I had plans to run my first 5K 4 days before surgery (and I did!) Since I have ovarian cancer on both sides of my family, surgery was scheduled the following week. When the doctor got 'in there" she discovered a much larger mass. I asked her prior to surgery to take a picture of it. I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about since I had no pain or any kind of symptoms to make me feel as though something was wrong. The doctor came into my room the next day and showed me a picture of what she removed. What she showed me was the size of a honey dew melon and weighed 2.5 POUNDS! Yes, POUNDS! She had to
cut the mass down in order to get it out of the 6 inch incision she made at the bikini line. If I had not seen a picture of it, I never would have believed it. My right ovary was removed a long with his mass. Pathology reports came back good. My recovery has been really pretty easy. I was in the hospital 3 days and at home a lone 5 days after surgery. Two weeks after surgery, I was so bored of doing nothing, I mowed the yard and power washed the patio. I had laparoscopic surgery two years ago, and I was in much more pain and hobbled around a lot more then than with a 6 inch incision. (I am in much better shape physically now which probably has a lot to do with it too.) I will go back to work after a month of being off. I could have gone back to work after two weeks, but the doctor would not release me that soon.
I agree with Kaerbear, don't try and run before you can walk.

I had a ovary removed with a cyst on 3rd October 2011, via a C section type cut. I went into hospital mid morning and went into theatre mid afternoon. The doctors, nurses and aneasthetists were v nice. I was worried about going under, but one minute the nurse and aneastist were talking to me and the next i was out. I woke up in the recovery room surrounded my nurses and once started to wake they moved me back to the familarity of my room. Felt bit disorientated when woke up. It was all like a dream really.
I was v glad of the toast tho (after going all day with no food).
Had to get the knack of getting up slowly and gently without over stretching the stomach. The first nite the tv remote didn't work- and i couldn't even get up to turn it off!
I had my blood pressure etc checked every 3-4 hrs the first nite.
The next day, they took my catharter out and took everything else off me. i.e. drip.
The first couple times i needed to go to the toilet i had to call a nurse, until i was able to do it myself- happened v quickly tho.
After breakfast they got me to get up and wash and change.
I was very surprised how quick they got you up- but apparently thats the way it is now.  
I had a pain in my shoulder and right side- the shoulder pain was normal and said to be gases. Never heard of it before- but helped when i moved about. The physio came to see me and did walking and breathing exercises with me. Which were v helpful in following weeks.
I was in hospital for 2 and a half days.
The consultant said to me to try not to not do things, and listen to your body when it says stop when he discharged me.

The 1st week, i just concentrated on basic stuff, like getting up, showering etc and by 2nd week started to slowly increase my walking. By 3rd week, i started to walk around the estate and eventually to the local shops.
In the 2nd week, i had my stitches out and was told to rub some oil that would help elasticity whilst it healed.(I got nourishing oil).
My doctor had only signed me off for 3 weeks, so i returned to work, but after 2 days of aching and soreness realised it was too early- the doctor signed me off for 3 more weeks and said until i could do the housework without aching he wouldn't be happy to sign me back into work!
At the time i was annoyed because i didn't want 3 more weeks off, but now in hindsight,  nearly 3 weeks later- i'm glad of the extra time. It's enabled me to get used to doing normal everyday things and if i'm sore or ache then i can just stop and sit down and relax. I think the pressures of work would have made me do too much too soon.
I'm due to be signed on by doctor end of this week, so wait and see.

My advice would be to anyone having this operation, to take things slowly, do things slowly and take your time in doing them at first. Take time out to recooperate and help and support at home/recovery place is great and needed in the first few weeks.
Your health is more important than work. (And means you can do all the things you've been putting off like sewing etc- i even started my xmas shopping!).
I was very very lucky and put on the NHS pathway programme, where the Op takes place in a private hospital and i was very grateful.
They say that recovery can take 6-8 weeks, but at 6 wks i'm not fully healed.. i guess it will take a long time for the scar to fade.

I hope this is helpful information for anyone who goes through the same thing.

All the best.

Sx
I have 2 cysts that my OBGYN has been monitoring for a couple of years.  She is now recommending robotic surgery.  Has anyone has this done?  If so, what is the recovery time?

I'm 58 years old.
Hi all.I went to bed one night and awoke in early morning crying with abdominal pain. We thought it was my appendix. I am 40 yrs old with no health problems ever. My doctor found a 14cm  dermoid cyst on the right ovary and a 2cm cyst on the left one. Last Wednesday I had the right ovary & tube removed via laparotomy and the cyst removed from the left ovary. We are waiting on the biopsy results but CA125 was negative. I was released from the hospital on Friday at noon. I would say the first 2 days after surgery are the worst. Gas is VERY painful and you should avoid gassy foods and soda. I would recommed a chair for your shower at home. Mostly I use it to hold on to (due to percocet making me so mellow) but I have it if I want to sit down. I also recommend a heating pack- since you can't sleep on your sides or stomach your back is VERY stiff when you wake up each morning-from sleeping in the same position. I am going crazy not being able to clean my house or cook or wrap Xmas gifts!! I am very type "A".LOL. I think you just have to take it easy, when you are feeling good-see what you feel up to accomplishing. Rest often. I am curious about cysts returning on my remaining ovary. Does anyone know how often this occurs? I asked my doctor to take both ovaries but she said medically induced menopause should be avoided- unless it's an emergency. As a note *make sure if you are having surgery that you check out not only your doctor but also the hospital where you will have surgery!!!
wow 30cm i just had one removed that was 26 cm and weight 11lbs
I am hoping that someone out there can help me make a decision. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant, at my 21 week ultasound it was determined that I had a 9cm cyst growing on my right ovary. From that point I have had 2 more ultrasounds and an MRI that confirmed that it is a dermoid filled with fat tissue and other tissues and how grown to 10cm. Now I have to make a decision as to how I should proceed in having it removed. My options are c-section at the time of delivery or waiting 6-8 weeks after giving vaginal birth to have the cyst removed laparosopically. My concerns are recovery time with a new baby if they are unable to remove it laparoscopically and the possible twisting once my uterus shrinks after birth. What should I do?
I just had surgery to remove both ovaries and tubes due to cysts and a family history of ovarian cancer.. 3 small incisions and no pain, just feels like I have done about a 1000 situps.  

My worry is what instant menopause will mean. I have have read lots of scary articles.  
6 days ago I was struck with a sudden pain in my abdomen that was agony, I had trouble walking, sitting, standing, talking, basicallyeverything was a struggle, I finally got some rest but when I woke the pain was still there, just not as bad... I had been getting very painful periods for years and on the odd occasion got pain in my stomach just out of the blue that would come and go, like a spasm. After 2 days at home putting up with it, I went to the Dr who told me I had a urinary infection, I started the antibiotics and thought to myself, this doesnt feel like just an infection, there was no burning or smelly wee, just pain to move, when I was sitting still it would subside and become discomfort rather than pain. I decided to get a second opinion that same day and was sent to hospital for a possible diviculitis "I think that was it" condition after hours of waiting in the emergency room, I was finally seen - The Dr proceeded to feel around on my very sensitive tummy and when he would push down it hurt on my right side more than the left but when he suddenly let the pressure go from pushing on it, that was horrendous and felt like being stabbed. After an xray, CT scan and ultrasound, they discovered the tumour on my ovary. I went in for emergency surgery that night, which by that time was the day after eing diagnosed with a urinary tract infection.
When the operation started they opened me up and found that my left ovary was bleeding into my abdomen and also had a cyst on it, however the right ovary had a giant cyst (tumour) on it that had been twisting then untwisting etc, so the blood flow wsa still there, but it was damaged, they removed the ight ovay and tube, along with the cysts, I have a vertical incision under my belly button to my pelvic bone approx 15cm in length.
It has been 2 days since my surgery and I am still in hospital and still on very strong pain medication - I may be going home tomorrow but I dont feel up to it at all, I have not had a bowel motion in 5 days so I feel pretty uncomfortable. I have also needed some peppermint water for the gas that has been storing up in there,
When I came out of the anaesthesia I was in agony. - I needed pain relief fast. it took about 20 minutes for it to kick in but finally I felt better.
I came on the forum looking for ways to heal.... I dont want to keep relying on these strong pain killers... I am walking about but very carefully and hunched over my stomach is swollen and very sore.
Are there any tips out there to help get over this a bit quicker??? how long before it is healed??
Im 26, married just 2 months ago.. just two weeks ago, i was diagnosed with huge left ovary cyst (23.5cm), it weight around 5kilos... I had no idea it was inside me coz for me it had no syptoms (symptoms) except my belly was getting fat and i thought im olny gaining weight.. it became painful only when it starts to push my abdominal organs as kidney, bowel and liver... The doc ordered me with a surgery asap... I did it last saturday morning dated feb 25,2012.. the surgery took 1hr &15mins. The surgeon is smart. He knew im still young shouldnt get big scar, he made a cut. Then by neddle, he sucked the fluids to make the cysts as small as possible, The doc closed up the 15cm cut from inside, like he glued it... He had also to remove the left ovary coz it was so much inside all the mess...it was so much painful after the surgery mostly coz my bowels was trying to fill the empty place in my belly  so was like fill with air.. 3shoots from voldaren didnt work... I slept  in the same night, over some other drugs for the next 6hrs. Then with the nurse help. I was able to go to the bathroom to pee which was a living nightmare.. the next day, i felt better on my stomich.. its getting lower after my body started to release this extra air in my bowel.... In that night, i was able to walk lil for 5mins.. the third day, was way better, im still on voldaren, was more easy now to use washroom by myself. Walking lil without anyone,s help for more than 30mins in the hospital corners.. in that night. I left to home.. sleeping the third night from my surgery in my bed... The main point is as hard as it be, recovery should be fast, and will get better and better day by day.
Iam 36 years old and two weeks ago I had my left ovary removed and scar tissue removed that was wrapped around my bowel and intestines. Originally I was going into day surgery with laproscopic to just remove a cyst on my left ovary and she found out I had all the other stuff and removed it. I also had a ablasion done to. Before this I experienced bad periods with pain in my left side and vomiting too. Now since the surgery Iam sore still but moving around alot more. Iam have been tired but it comes along with my body healing. I was scared of my surgery to but glad i had it done! Hopefully anyone else reading this can relate. Iam looking forward to getting my life back and not dealing with bad periods anymore.
Viewing 1-200 comments: