Ovarian Cysts Community
Removal of Ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Removal of Ovary

I have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary.  I am scheduled to have the ovary removed next Tuesday.  It will be done by laparascopic surgery.  I'm concerned about the recovery time.  My doctor said most women need only 5 days to recover.  But, looking at the posts in this community, it seems like it will take longer.  I have toddlers (ages 1 & 2), I live in a townhome (stairs), will only have assistance for one week, and planned to return to work the following Monday.  Will I need more than the 5-days suggested by my doctor?  How long before I'm able to pick-up my kids?  I'm getting a little worried.
Hi there,

You have very valid concerns about your recovery time here. It is important to know that every woman is different and therefore every woman recovers differently. Five days does seem a bit optimistic. It is important to not push yourself because you don't want to undo the recovery that has happened. I had laparoscopy on March 30th and felt pretty good after 5 days, however I am only 21 years old and that may have helped with that process. I still avoid lifting objects more than 10 lbs.
LetsMango is right, it all depends on the person.  Every woman and every surgery is different.  After I had a cyst removed Laparoscopically,  I went back to work 2 days later.  Bad move on my part.  I taught preschool, so I had to be up and down a lot.  With that surgery, I was doing very well after 5 days.  The next surgery I had done laparscopically, I had to take 2 weeks off to recover.  It all just depends on YOU.  I can tell you that they will not want you to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for about 2-4 weeks.  You have to let yourself heal on the inside.  Things my look good on the outside, but the inside takes longer to heal.  You don't want to pick up your child an tear the internal stitches.  That would lead to a more invasive surgery.  I know how hard it is because I have a handicapped daughter, but you just have to make them do a little more work than they normally would (ex, help dress themselves, climb up on the bed when it is bed time, that kind of thing.)  Please let us know how you are doing.  
Thank you ladies for your responses.  Very helpful indeed.  I guess I will reach out to friends and family for more help.  I really like my doctor, but when she was telling me about the surgery, she made it sound like it wasn't a big deal.  Considering I'm 36 and inactive, other than chasing the toddlers, I probably should have prepared to be off  work longer.  2 weeks sounds more reasonable from your responses and other posts I've seen.  I will discuss it with my doctor before the surgery takes place.  I'll definitely post an update post surgery.

Thanks!
I had this procedure done on me a month ago. It took me about 4 days to feel good enough that i was able to go to walmart and walk for a short while and pretty much be back to normal. The day after was the worse for me as my whole body hurt. I have recently three days ago had to go through the bikini line incision to remove a dermoid cyst and my right ovary. This one will be a 3-4 week recovery time. I wish you the best of luck! Get well soon.
Had the procedure today... I expressed my concern to my doctor about recovery and she also said it depends on me.  So we are now looking at 2 wks pff from work. And I feel much more comfortable with that. I have had pain, of varying degrees, all day. The pain in my shoulder is the worst