Ovarian Cysts Community
Reoccurrence of Hemorrhagic Ovarian Cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi al,
I'm 21 years old and last month I had a diagnostic laparoscopy in my abdominal cavity and pelvis because of unexplained internal bleeding.

I got sick about 2 months prior to my surgery and was very nauseous up until my emergancy operation. The morning of my surgery I woke up and was completely fine, around 9 am I started getting what felt like terrible cramp some took a shower and tried to sleep it off afterwards! Eventually I passed out and started puking and for the rest of the day, if I walked anywhere or was wheeled a significant distance I would get light headed and throw up! I eventually had a CT and had blood in my abdomen!

My surgeons weren't able to find the actual cause of the bleeding because it was all old blood but because I have a rather large cyst (4cm) on my left ovary they have said is it is probable that I had a large cyst that ruptured the first time I got sick and the blood caused me to feel ill until one day my body just finally had enough and wanted it out!

So I guess my question is, assuming this was a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst, does anyone know any information, statistics, or have any experience regarding the reoccurrence of these type of cysts?? Or really... Am I going to have to go through all of this again?

THANKS
Hi CystQueen,

I am currently about 10 days post op. from a similar experience.  I was hospitalized for a week because of unknown fluid in my abdominal cavity, severe pain, vomiting, dizziness and absent bowel sounds.  They finally did an exploratory lap. after a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics with nothing by mouth (including water) and no improvement.  They found a huge hemorrhagic cyst on my right ovary.  It was so large that they weren't recognizing it as a cyst but rather as free fluid in my abdomen.  They also found that my entire pelvis was full of adhesions, from my belly button to my pelvic floor, all of the organs and fused together and, with the addition of the cyst it had pretty much shut down my digestive system.  Almost immediately after the surgery I started to feel better, but then began to have a recurrence of symptoms about 4 days later.  I am undergoing more tests because they believe that it is a recurrence of a cyst.  So, it can happen, but my OB/GYN and general surgeon have both told me that it's rare.  The good news is, if you begin to show symptoms again, at least you and your providers will have a good idea of what's happening.  Good Luck!