Ovarian Cysts Community
Right ovary cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Right ovary cyst

Dear all,

I took an ultrasound 3 days ago and I am now told I have a right ovarian cyst measuring 41.4 X 35.1 X 47.2 mm in dimension. The report reads there is no adnexal mass or fluid in cul de sac. I am 25 years old, not pregnant, never been pregnant. Married. Sexually rarely active.

My periods got delayed and instead of 30 days I got in 50 days.  I don't know what kind of cyst this is. Is this cancerous?  No clue whatsoever.

The nurse tells me it is common and they tend to shrink over time but if my periods don't show up properly next month, I am asked to visit the office again. I don't know what to do.

Could somebody explain if my cyst is too big or what these clinical terms mean? Will it go away or should I do something? Worried.
Cysts on the ovaries, or a large single cyst on one ovary, can cause one to miss a menstrual cycle.   I had a large mass on my left ovary in 2004, and I missed a cycle just as you did.

That is a large cyst; however, without further information it is difficult to guess that type of cyst you have.  Statistically, the cyst is very likely to be benign.  BUT, that does not mean you should simply forget about it.  

My suggestion is that you ask for an appointment to discuss the findings with a doctor, taking a note pad with questions for which you want answers.   It may very well be a type of cyst that will resolve naturally, but you will need imaging to determine this fact, as relying on menstrual cycles is not adequate to determine the status of a cyst.  
Dear vicki,

Thank you for your rely. Is 4.7cm a large cyst? My ultrasound report says only a cyst and doctor has put me in a wait and watch situation. I got my periods this month but like I said, 50 days later.  I don't know what to do. I go through mild pain inside my upper thigh and lower back. otherwise till now, there have been no symptoms. I worry if it could be ovarian cancer but reading posts it appears people my age 25 are rarely susceptible to this kind of cancer.

The ultrasound report does not give away much and my nurse says I don't have to see a doctor unless my periods next month do not come.  

Hi There.
Take a deep breath first off. Cysts are very very common in premenopausal women.  They come and go with mentrusal cycles and sometimes are found inadventently during a pelvic exam. Some people have no symptoms while others are keenly aware of them. The rule of thumb seems to be anything greater than 5cm, that has not resolved within a couple of cycles should be removed. I played the watch and wait game for about a year. I had complex cysts/lesions on both my ovaries that were slowly growing and obviously never went away. Normally you will have repeat transvaginal ultrasounds to keep an eye on things and see what is happening. That way your doc will be able to assess if the cyst is changing and growing. Take comfort in the fact that 95% of cysts are benign and many will just go away on their own. Good luck with all this and keep us posted.
Also, take a look at the health pages (upper right hand corner of your screen) as they have lots of info about the different kind of cysts....

Laney
Dear all,

I am now getting pain on my upper right abdomen. It is not far up but it falls on the same line as my navel and the pain comes only when I try to move my body - anything like bending, twisting turning etc. and I also can't exert in the loo. Why is this happening? Is it because of my 4.5 cm ovarian cyst? Ovaries are far below from the spot where I am hurting. Please advise. I am worried as hell that this could be more serious than just a cyst
I know it is difficult but try not to panic- the pain you describe sounds just like my cyst- looks like it has returned after removal- but the pain you describe souinds similar.

best wishes
Cysts can cause pain for several reasons.  Remember that your cyst is roughly the size of a golf ball (assuming it has not grown in size since the ultrasound.)   This cyst is occupying  space in your abdomen.  The cyst can press against other tissues and organs in your abdomen, and this pressure against other tissues - including nerves -  can cause discomfort.    The cyst is attached to the ovary, and the cyst pressing against the ovary can cause discomfort.  

Cysts can also cause pain if they leak or rupture.  Leakage releases fluids into the abdomen, and the body reacts to this fluid.  A rupture is also somewhat like an injury, especially if the surface of the ovary is affected.    A cyst rupture commonly causes sharp pain.

Pain often occurs in other areas of the abdomen from the point of origin, and this effect is called referred pain.  For example, I perceived my pain in my right side, and I was quite surprised to learn my cyst was on my left ovary instead!   It is not uncommon for the pain to be perceived in the area of the umbilicus.

If the acute (i.e. sharp) pain continues until tomorrow then my suggestion is for you to contact your doctor's office.
Thank you for your replies. Frankly, this pain was not there until last night. I would probably get it checked with the doctor. I don't know what they are going to say? More tests or medicines!

It only hurts when there is movement , like a muscle pull.