Ovarian Cysts Community
Ruptured Cysts and Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ruptured Cysts and Pain

Hello! Sorry this is long, but here is my story... I have a couple questions.  I have always had painful and irregular periods.  This past July, I went to my family doctor after fainting, vomiting, and having severe abdominal pain.  My Dr. had to go deliver a baby, so I lied in the room in horrible pain for a couple hours; when he finally came back in, the pain was gone.  He did a pelvic ultrasound a couple days later and found fluid, which led to a diagnosis of a ruptured ovarian cyst.  Nothing was done after that.  The next month, in late August, the same thing happened again, but this time I went to the ER where I was given Morphine and medicine for nausea.  A CT scan was done where they again found fluid and diagnosed a ruptured ovarian cyst.  I had the same symptoms previously within the past few years, but it wasn't severe enough to warrant a trip to the ER, but the more times it happens, the more severe the pain is.  When my family doctor was contacted regarding the CT results, I was told only that it showed no more cysts, which is what they said back in July when they did the ultrasound.  Both of the diagnosed ruptures occurred on the first day of my period. Is that normal? After the rupture in August, my family doctor prescribed Trinessa, which has regulated my periods, and I haven't had anymore ruptures.  But I still experience pain and nausea nearly every day.  A month ago, I went to the doctor up at school (I am 20 and attend a university) and the doctor felt my ovaries and said they felt fine; she said the pain was probably still from the ruptures and to just take ibuprofen (it doesn't help).  Could the pain still be from the ruptures or is something else going on?  Sometime the pain is severe enough to make me just sit still for a couple minutes until it goes away... the pain also seems to wrap around to my lower back at times.  I am hoping to see my family doctor when I go home for Thanksgiving break, but in the meantime, I asked my mom to possibly get a copy of my CT results from August to see if there happens to be anything else going on.  Any advice anybody has is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
HI There,
So sorry you are going through this. I have had cysts rupture in the past and it can be the most excruciating pain possible. It does resolve, but it certainly can take some time. Cysts are so common in premenopausal women, most resolve on their own either by bursting or reabsorbing themselves. Is the Trinessa a type of birth control? That would be my suggestion at this point, however I am not a doctor. The theory behind birth control, is that it stops the ovaries from producing cysts. I think it is a good idea to get checked by your own doc when you go home for Thanksgiving break. Im sure that will make you feel better. I had a similar experience as you and was found to have severe endometriosis along with everything else. I hope you feel better and keep us posted.
Laney
Yes, Trinessa is a birth control pill.  It has helped as far as not having any more cysts rupture, but I still have frequent pain and now am getting severe migraines.  I will continue taking the pill, though, because I would rather put up with the migraines than the rupturing of cysts.  My mom had severe endometriosis a few years ago and ended up having a hysterectomy to take care of it (she was only 38 or so at the time of her hysterectomy).  I will plan on going to the doctor over break, but do you have any idea on what the doctor would do or what tests he would perform? Thanks so much for responding!
I had the same type of experience several years ago. On the first day of my period  I had excruciating pain suddenly and was sooo sick. The pain rolled in on waves and lasted about an hour-but totally debilitated me for that time requiring a trip to emergency. It happened about 4-5 times of random months and the very last episode happened a few hours after I took a bad fall (first day of period as well) and never again. I was diagnosed finally with polycystic ovaries. But for whatever reason ( I take many herbs such as black cohosh and **** quai) I haven't had an episode in many years.  I did not use birth control pills or hormones.
HI,
He will probably do a pelvic exam and order a transvaginal ultrasound. That is the best test to see what is going on in a woman pelvic area.
Good luck and keep us posted. I hope you feel better.
Laney