Ovarian Cysts Community
Ruptured cyst, continued intervals of pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Went to the ER 16 days ago for acute abdominal pain from my pelvic floor to my neck and the CT scan said ruptured ovarian cyst with extensive blood in the abdominal cavity.  Sent me home telling me they couldn't tell me how long it would take for the blood to reabsorb and that blood is an irritant so expect discomfort.  I had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound 9 days post ER visit and the results were exactly the same as on the CT scan -- same swollen left ovary and more visible cysts, many pockets of blood and fluid.  It has been 16 days and while I feel a lot better it still has me crying out and close to tears when I have anything in the bowel -- even gas -- and no, I'm not constipated.  Even having anything in my bladder has me in severe discomfort.  Doctor says that is just the remaining pockets of blood and fluid which will take time to dissipate.  I have no history of cysts, but have had bulging disks in my low back for years, which respond to my monthly cycles with increased or decreased pain.  There has never been any mention of endometriosis.  

Anyone have any advice on how long it takes for the blood and fluid to absorb?  Anyone have any pain management suggestions?  Excedrin migraine sometimes helps, but haven't found anything else.

Thanks!
Just posting a follow-up for anyone who is looking for information on the after math of a ruptured hemorrhagic ovarian cyst without complications (infection or surgery).  The doctors tell you that everyone is different and they can't tell you how long it will take for the blood and fluid to reabsorb and therefore can't tell you how long you'll be in pain.  It's been 3 weeks since my rupture and I am just now beginning to be able to pass gas, pee and poop, without it feeling like I'm giving birth and my insides are being ripped apart.  This is serious improvement, as I've been near crying with anything in my intestines or bladder.  Still feels like "there's something up there" but it's not as intense or as painful as it was previously.

I will update again when anything changes.  There doesn't seem to be many follow-up posts for ruptures as to how long it takes for the pain to go away, so I'll try to document it here.  Mostly I've been pretty tired, having an achy heavy-feeling pelvic area, feeling like "there's something up my butt," and having labor-like pain when passing anything through the bowel or bladder.  Again, 3 weeks post rupture it is beginnng to be less intense.  I have not found anything that helps with the pain (but heat seems to make it worse - don't know if that's universal or just me), but have found that drinking kefir has helped keep the bowels moving and is easier to eat than bulky food.

I have another ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks and will let you know if they still see blood and fluid or if it's gone by then.  
Have you tried a heating pad or hot compress?  I hope you feel better soon!
Updating for anyone looking for rupture follow-up information.  It has been 5 weeks since my rupture and I've been feeling much better for about 1.5 weeks.  For me, it was 3 weeks of intense episodic pain, and then it tapered off very quickly and I've been back to "normal" for about 1.5 weeks.  I'm active and exercising and all feels pretty normal.

I had an ultrasound on Monday and the free-fluid in my abdomen is cleared up and they did not see any remaining issues from the rupture.  

However, the ultrasound indicated that I have another hemorrhagic cyst growing, which was 6 cm on Monday, up from 3 cm 3 weeks ago.  Had another ultrasound on Tuesday, and it has increased in size to 7.9 cm (yes, almost 2 cm growth within 24 hrs).  I am not interested in rushing into surgery at this point and have requested that we do another ultrasound in 2 weeks in hopes that it will stabilize and/or reabsorb on it's own.  Knowing the risk of rupture and what it's like to go through, I am comfortable with a wait and see plan.  Personally, I would rather risk rupture than have a surgery that might not be necessary.  My doctors are confident that I know the risk and are agreeing to my desired approach.  In the meantime I have very minimal "twinges" of discomfort, absolutely nothing like the rupture, and am feeling fine.  I'm continuing to eat probiotic foods, have eliminated all grains (they cause inflammation in me), and am focusing on having fun and enjoying the summer (although I'm not having intercourse as that's what I believe caused the first rupture).

I'll update again if anything changes or when I have any different information.
Be careful, I have had one rupture and tore my whole ovary in half, had internal bleeding for 3 days days before I went to the E.R.  Had my whole Ovary removed, was in hospital for 2 days before they realized I needed a transfusion.  Just keep an eye out....it was an awful experience! and good luck
Thanks Teri!  Ouch!  Your experience sounds way up there on the pain scale!  I'll be sure to keep that in mind if mine ruptures again.  Good to be mindful!  Are you okay now?  Any recurrances or other complications?  
Had another ultrasound today and the results appear to be about the same as they were at my last scan 2 weeks ago.  Hemorrhagic septated cyst measuring about 8 cm.  A tiny little bit of free-fluid in the cul-de-sac, which might mean it's leaking a bit.  Blood flow to the ovary continues to be good, no signs of torsion.  Still feeling good with the occasional twinge and ache but overall completely livable.  Have not heard from my physicians yet as to their opinions, but I'm still hoping that it will absorb on its own.  In the meantime I'm going to enjoy a beach vacation with my family next week!  
Even though your post is 3 years old I just wanted to say thank you for sharing, you are the only person I found online experiencing the same description of pain as myself.

I had a cyst erupt almost two weeks ago (the day before I was suppose to go to a family get together) I had a couple different doctors tell me I was going to have to have surgery but the obgyn doctor came in and said that she just wanted to keep an eye on it...I was so happy when they let me go home the next day, but I still had horrible pain. About 4 or 5 days after every time I would go to the bathroom it literally felt like I was giving birth, after a couple days it still hurt but not like I was in labor. I am glad that the pain for you went away and it for me gets a little better each day. I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy.

Again I just wanted to say thank you for posting and updating your progress...I hope you never experience that kind of pain again and I am anxiously waiting for the day it doesn't hurt anymore!
This is exactly what's happening to me. I know my body, but the obgyn tried to tell me my pain is disproportionate to a ruptured cyst with an extreme amount of free blood as diagnosed by the ct and ultra sound in the ER. I have birthed 4 children without pain relief so I believe I am very tolertant to pain. This is very similar to being pregnant and in labor. The pressure and pain is non stop horrible.  I am so grateful someone posted with full follow ups!  We're not crazy!  This can clearly go on for weeks and leave us in extreme non stop pain.  One Tylenol#3 every 6 hrs does nothing.  I feel much stronger now to advocate for myself knowing I'm not alone!  Thank you!!
I have just had a cyst rupture as well. I was in the most extreme pain I have ever experienced beyond childbirth, actually equal to. The most frustrating was the way I was treated by men doctors at the hospital here. For some reason a woman's pain is not treated seriously.  My CT scan did not show my left ovary so it was assumed it shriveled up due to my hysterectomy where the ovaries were preserved. I went to my post general practitioner who allowed me to cry on the table without any empathy whatsoever, who told me he'd just send me home with some pain medicine. I wanted to find out what was causing it. The ER doc was worse allowing me to stay in the gurney without any assistance for over an hour and a half. Finally my OBGYN figured out the problem, hidden on the CT scan, by listening to my symptomatology not relying on inconclusive evidence. The left ovary was there, it just was not visible.

Let us face it women know pain and we know it well but that does not mean we should have to bear it on our own if there is a way to treat it. Pelvic pain, should be taken seriously rather than brushed off to a woman's aliments. . Fortunately there are those who do care, have empathy are more compelled to diagnose. A ruptured ovarian cyst is frightening because of the intense high level of pain, I would like to see those doc's feeling that pain so they would better understand it. We are not a bunch of hormonal cry babies.
Hi everyone, thank you for this string of replies. There is really nothing out there and docs are by no means helpful in giving a definitive answer regarding when the pain will go away or how it should feel and for how long.

I've had mine rupture about 2 weeks ago and the pain feels like someone has punched me in the stomach repeatedly. I had to spent 6 days in the hospital wired to all sorts of intravenous medicines but I was lucky to avoid surgery.

The pain I have is odd and it seems to go away one day but come back the next. Its more like cramps and contusion in one and if someone is squeezing my ovaries. Not to mention i feel heavy and with awful bloating ...I am starving if I dont eat and in great pain when I do as it feels like my body doesnt workout food very well these days. I feel like my tummy is going to burst. Yogurt does help and all sorts of probiotics, I guarantee that, but once I have some food the bloating comes back worse than before !!!

Now I've had my period and really messed me up so I dont know where the pain comes from. I feel quite tired to go from one place to the next and it worries me whether I could go back to work next week as the doctor seems to think it should be ok as long as I take it easy and not run around like a maniac or lift weights.

Do you know if moving makes it worse? I've heard stories about having to stay in bed for 1 month because otherwise it wont heal and the fluid/blood not absorb...And of course I am nowhere near wanting sex but do you know when its safe to start again? My doctor laughs at this question and says "just stay positive".....