Ovarian Cysts Community
SCARED! 10mm cyst: can I wait a month to have it removed?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

SCARED! 10mm cyst: can I wait a month to have it removed?

Hi.  I'm glad I found this community, as I'm pretty scared.  I'm 30 yrs old and I was diagnosed with a 4inch x 3inch (mango-sized) cyst in my ovary yesterday.  It is fluid-filled with one septum (wall).  The gyn suggested laproscopy removal of cyst and possibly the ovary.   GYN said it is probably not cancerous (though, of course, I am still really scared about that and am waiting on the CA 125 results). I have done some research and it does not seem that the CA 125 test is too reliable.

MY QUESTION: I asked if I could have the cyst removed in about 45 days and the gyn said "yes," but now I'm wondering if I should have it removed sooner.  What do you all think?

I first wanted to wait the 30-45 days so I can complete back injury treatment I have already started (the MRI for my back actually found the cyst).  However, I'm wondering if I should scrap the back therapy and do the ovary instead.

If the cyst is probably not cancer, am I safe to wait 45 days to have it out?  Is there a chance it could burst?

Has anyone ever heard of airplane travel of regular physical activity (no more than jogging) causing a cyst to burst?  I would like opinions from actual patients, as I don't totally trust docotrs.  I'm also waiting on a diagnosis of lupus and do not know if that will affect the surgery at all.

If you have a moment, I have 2 smaller questions about the "quality" of my doctor:
1. The gyn did not see this cyst at my annual exam 6 months ago and thinks it was not there then.  Does that sound right?  Could it grow that fast?

2. I'm also a little concerned that the GYN did not tell me which ovary (left or right) is affected and did not write it in the chart (is this dr. good enough, I'm wondering?).