Ovarian Cysts Community
Should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Should I be concerned?

I'm 47 years old, have 1 child,  and in October 2009 an ultrasound showed a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary that was multiloculated. I saw it on the screen and it looked like a bunch of grapes.  I failed to ask the size at that time. The radiologist recommended a follow up ultrasound for Jan 2010.  The Jan ultrasound showed that the cyst was still there and had grown. It was then 4 x 2 x 2.  My family doctor referred me to a gyn and said that she "might be a little nervous about that cyst and want to remove it surgically".
When I saw the gyn, she said the cyst was small and since it was causing me no problems there was no need to surgically remove it. She gave me a pelvic exam and said she was unable to feel it. She said it's best to just keep an eye on it for now.
I was really hoping to have it removed; it's been a worry for several months.
Has anyone had a similar experience with complex multiloculated cysts that turned out to be benign?
Go back to the gyn and tell her you are worried that it is getting bigger and that if it gets too big it can't then be removed laporascopically.  Explain your worry about the status of the cyst and that you would prefer to have it now.  She may go along.  If not, try for a 2nd opinion.
I'm with Trudie, you need to express how you are feeling to your gyn.  I was always told that when  cyst reaches 5 cm then it had to come out, so you are close.  I had a 4.5 cm cyst removed a couple of years ago.  Just be honest with her and if she won't listen to your concerns, get a second opinion!  Good luck and please let us know how you are doing