Ovarian Cysts Community
Should I have my ovaries removed?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I have my ovaries removed?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site but am very encouraged to see there are so many other women out there with similar issues and concerns.

First a little history from 5 years ago...
Due to a massive uterine fibroid (the equivent of a 5-mo pregnancy according to one of the US techs), I had a hysterectomy.  Leading up to this, everyone believed that the fibroid was IN my uterius.  Only after I was opened up (vertically), did they discover it was UNDER my uterius, which was normal-sized/pushed up as far as it would go.  
The fibroid had completely filled my pelvic cavity, latching on to my left ovary and was beginning to pinch some type of supply line to my right kidney.  Anyway, it and my uterius were removed and at my request, the surgeon left as much of my ovaries as she could, only taking 1/2 of my left ovary and leaving the right one alone.

During a recent, routine exam (with that same surgeon-very cool) she asked about an earlier visit to my regular dr. about some right, lower abdomen occasional pain (which he had dismissed as the beginnings of a hernia).  
She felt it couldn't be that and explained it was either scar tissue (for which they would probably do nothing) or a tumor.  She ordered an US.  The US came back (4 weeks ago) with nothing wrong on the right side, but to her surprise, they did discover a "cystic mass": 13cm x 13cm x 5cm.  She used words like "Really, Really Big" &"Huge".  She did say that she and another dr. she had consulted with, did not think it was cancerous.

My questions are...
1.  How can just US's tell them if it's cancerous or not? (I do have a second US tomorrow for comparison).
2.  Should I also be asking for a C/A test?
3.  Is a C/A test a mute point as she's already scheduled me for surgery (in 7 weeks)?
4,  Should I again tell her to save what she can of my ovaries (for hormone sake) or should I just have her take them both to avoid having to go through surgery a possible 3rd time?

Sorry for the length of the post.
Thanks in advance for your answers/advice.

-Ellen