Ovarian Cysts Community
Thick-walled, irregular complex cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Thick-walled, irregular complex cyst

A month ago, I been having pain in my pelvic area (when bending down) and little pressure in my vigina (vagina) (when coughing). No pain if I walk and stand straight. I went to my doctor and sent me to have my ultrasound done.

My right ovary measures 5x3.2x3.4 cm and contains a thick walled, irregular complex cyst. The CYST measures 2.5x2.1x1.6 cm.
My left ovary appears normal. 3.5x1.8x1.9 cm

IMPRESSION:
1. Thickened endometrial complex measuring close to 1.7 mm. Given the patient's young age, this may be physiologic and secondary to menstruation.
2. Thick-walled, irregullar, complex cyst within adnexum.

My next OB-Gyn visit is on Oct 20th. She gave me a birth control pills for a month and after that I need to see her and have another ultrasound. I'm worried.

Is it a good idea if I will ask to have a surgery done as soon as possible? Can't wait another month. What are the risks?

Thank you.

Hi, I wouldn't panic just yet. I think it is good that you are seeing the Gyn. next month. It shows that they are being thorough. It may be that surgery is not even needed. Let's not jump on that wagon yet.. And as far as asking for the surgery---Many times, it just isn't up to us. Dr's are very reluctant to perform what they feel is unnecessary surgery. When I had my ovarian cyst among other issues , I wanted to just have them take out everything. I'm postmenopausal and as such couldn't figure out why I needed anything. Well,... no way she tells me!.. She said it was like killing an ant with a cannon. They are very careful..

Even Laparoscopic surgery is surgery... you are "Out".. There are always risks with surgery even minor surgery. My suggestion is to try not to worry ( I know how hard that is, believe me)..You will have more answers when you see your Dr. in Oct.

I would ask that you do a few things....Check out the Health Pages at the top right of this page .. it has a lot of info about cysts... Then, remember that cysts are very very common in younger women.. Then remember that 95% of all cysts are benign... and Finally try not to worry and keep in touch.. let us know how the Oct. appt. goes.

Take care,
Sandy.
Hi Sandymac, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I really can't help not to worry and cry. I am thinking to go to a different OB-Gyn doctor for a second opinion. I read that a thick-walled cyst is high risk of malignancy. I am still waiting for my period and start taking BC pills. I prayed that it won't grow more after a month.

Hi again,

Try not to worry, I did the whole worry and cry time period after I found out about my very painful complex cyst. The best situation is that it resolves itself on the birth control. Keep in mind what Sandy said, that only 5% of all cysts are malignant and if you have not reached menapause yet then you have an even better chance that it is benign. I was given really good advice on this forum of taking it just one day at a time.

Also surgery is not fun, missing a whole week of work plus the pre-op appointments as well as having to do a colon cleaning etc. If you can solve your problems without surgery that is the best option! Keep us posted. Tanja
Thank you for your support Tanja. I can't help not to worry about thick-walled cyst. I wish that this cyst will go away. Right now, I'm waiting for my period by then I can start taking my BC pills for one month.