Ovarian Cysts Community
Thyroid disease and ovarian cysts related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Do you think there is any correlation between Hyperthyroidism and Ovarian Cysts? I was having a lot of pain in my right side lower abdomen and sharp pains in the middle of my abdomen right under my belly button, so my doc. ordered a blood work up because regular ulcer meds didn't help. My Thyroid levels came in low, my blood sugar was slightly elevated and my WBC were just a tad low (not enough to worry I was reassured) The pain has just been increasing so I went to an OB/GYN and he felt my ovary was very swollen so I had an ultrasound and transvaginal right away. It showed a large fluid filled cyst on my ovary, however it was on the left side and I had most of the pain on my right side. I have always been a very healthy person, on the thin side, and I can't help but think all this is related. I was in a car accident over a year ago and injured my neck pretty severly, I also wonder if that has anything to do with all this. Do you think this is all related or just a fluke thing to develop a large cyst like this?
We actually did a poll here a while ago and determined that there is definitely a trend with our posters in that they have thyroid issues (many were hypothyroid).  Be aware that with cyst pain it can refer to the opposite side.  How large is your cyst?  What is their treatment plan?
Put me down as a definate YES!
I have my follow up appointment on Wed. so I will know more then. When he was doing the physical exam he said my ovary was swollen the size of a tight fist. He also said (before the ultrasound) that he would probably try to shrink it with birth control pills and if that doesn't work then we will remove it.  I'm not sure what is going on with me because my Thyroid Levels were definitely low but yet I am losing weight which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. I had blood work done last week too that I am waiting on results of to see if my Thyroid has been regulated and to check my CBC again...praying it is all ok!  During the ultrasound and transvaginal, the tech (who could not really disclose much to me) did point out my right ovary appeared to be healthy and functioning, she said she could see lots of follicles in it so that's reassuring...
Actually, it may not be backward at all. The most common blood test for thyriod disorder detection is TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). If you are hyperthyroid this level will be low and if you are hypothyroid the level is usually high. In a normal person TSH (secreted by the pitutary gland) is the chemical that tells your thyroid when to make more thyroid hormone. The thyriod then makes T4 which your body picks up when needed and turns into T3 which is what you need to stay happy! When your bloodwork shows an elevated TSH level, it means that you are not getting enough T3 and so your pitutary is crying for more T4 from you thyroid. If you are hyperactive, your piutary is quiet and so the TSH level goes low. So if you were referencing the TSH level when you said it was low, then you need to find out if you are hyperthyroid and why. You may need to seek treatment. I am hypo, and so I am not that well informed about hyper and the symptoms and treatments.
I do think there is a relationship between thyroid disorder and cysts but I can't tell you much more than that. It's only a hunch.
Gosh maybe I do have it backwards...it's confusing...but I could have sworn my doc said I was Hyper..not Hypo but looking at my bloodwork I have high TSH levels, 4.54 uIU/mL...and I think there is definitely a correlation because to have so many women have both at the same time is just too bizarre to be coincidence.
When I had my cyst problems my thyroid and other hormones all went wonky.  Everything settled shortly after my surgery.
I agree with you . . . too many to be coincidence!