Ovarian Cysts Community
UTI?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

UTI?

I thought I had read this somewhere, but can't seem to find it.  Are reoccuring UTI's an early warning sign of cysts?  I was diagnosed twice this year with an UTI and had only ever had one before in my life (after my miscarriage DNC).  Or would this rather be a trigger for PID?  

I'm not trying to self diagnose.  lol  Just curious.
w0w good question and i have no clue :)

i never had a UTI
I've not heard of a connection ... don't forget, most cysts are very , very common.. Have you checked the "Health Pages" at the top right of this page.? And, I don;t think that UTI is nearly that common.. so I would doubt it. Many times, folks don't even realize they have a cyst.. it just resolves itself on it's own..

Sandy
Many doctors have treated people for UTI's before they realize that it is a cyst causing plumbing problems because it is putting pressure on the bladder.  If they suspect a UTI don't start the antibiotics until you know that your urine comes back positive for infection.
I have never heard of this. This would explain a lot to me...but then again I won't hold my cyst resposible. I have battled reoccuring UTIs all my life. Just this last 18 months I have had 6! like clockwork, every 3 months. I went to a urologist and she sent me for a ct scan of my abdomen. Which is when they found my cyst, I just had surgery for it two weeks ago to get it removed. I will let you know if I get less UTIs! lol But it may be a while for results. I thought I had one last week but my urine came back clean so it was just the surgery that irritated my bladder. I am back at it today(work that is) for the first time in two weeks. I hope you get your answers! Good luck!
Thanks so much for your responses.   It's definitely something I am going to ask my Dr.  I was just curious.  Oh and I found where I had seen it initally.  It was on the ovarian cancer Canada website.  Interesting.
Hi there.  I have suffered UTIs for many years without any apparent reason since I have been checked and re-checked over the years.  I developed cysts around 6 years ago which were discovered by coincidence when they were doing an MRI because I have a polyp in the bowel.  Even so, I had never had any pain, irregular periods, and only bloating, related to IBS.

In December of last year, they did a pelvic ultrasound to see how the kidneys and the bladder were, and they discovered that in the left ovary there was a septated cyst which probably indicated malignancy.  I was told by a radiologist that probably due to the size of the cyst, it could be pressuring my kidney and that was why I was having so many UTIs, but I have suffered from them for around 20 years.

So, based on experience it could be possible, but not necessarily and I have to get operated but due to constant UTIs I have not been operated.  I remember someone in this forum talked about it, but I am not so sure when.

You could look it and try to find more about it.  Best of luck.

Neta