Ovarian Cysts Community
Unilateral oophorectomy and periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Unilateral oophorectomy and periods

I'm 48.  My last period was on 5/26/11 and I underwent a removal of my right ovary and fallopian tube on 6/15/11 (uterus and left tube and ovary left intact).  It was an abdominal procedure, not laparoscopic. I have not had another period since, and have been experiencing hot flashes ever since the surgery.  Is this normal?  My Dr. has been mumbling about my getting older and it's normal for my periods to be irregular now, blah blah blah yes, I know about perimenopause, but up until the surgery my longest period was less than 40 days and not particularly irregular, this has been 60+ days - and I never had hot flashes before.  I find it hard to believe it's unrelated that menopausal symptoms appeared out of the blue at the same time I had surgery.

Any suggestions on what's going on or what to do?  I'm wondering if my left ovary wasn't actually functional all this time and now that I don't have the right one, it's like I have none at all.  Or is this just a normal response to surgery ???