Aa
A
A
Close
Unilateral ovary removal cause hot flashes?
I tried to search this information but it only comes up with bilateral oopherectomy information.

I am 48 y.o., 6 years post menopausal (naturally). I have been experiencing hot flashes for 10 years (I'm soo lucky) which have been tolerable.

Ever since I had my ovary removed 8 days ago, I am having significant hot flashes.I have hot flashes all night long and at least once an hour during the day, sometimes every 20 minutes. I know it's hot out but I am in a very cool house. I can have a hot flash while standing in the air stream of the air conditioner! I do not have a fever either.

This is driving me nuts!

Do other people experience these hot flashes after a unilateral ovary removal? My other ovary is intact and appears normal in CT and ultrasound. Will these settle down soon?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Even after natural menopause, the ovarian stroma exhibits some hormonal activity. Hence removal of one ovary can cause some amount of depletion of hormones. However distressing hot flashes are seen mainly when both ovaries are removed. This should settle down when the body gets adjusted or you can take recourse to medicines like clonidine which help with the hot flashes. Also the option of HRT is available. The decision can be taken in consultation with your Doctor. Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thank you so much for the information. The hot flashes are settling down already. I am back to my two or three per day. It is tolerable but I still dislike them.

Since I have breast cancer in my family, I never considered HRT. But I never did research to find out that there might be something else to help with them. So thanks for that piece of information too. May be I can eliminate all of them.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank