Ovarian Cysts Community
Upcoming Mini-lap, dermoid cyst removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Upcoming Mini-lap, dermoid cyst removal

Hi all,
I have an upcoming mini laparotomy scheduled to remove a 7cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. I am 28 years old single, and I live by myself..my mom is flying out here to be with me for surgery and stay with me after the surgery, but I'm not sure how long she should plan on staying?
Anyone have a really similar experience? I have lots of friends in the area who will be able to stop by after work, help me with grocery shopping, etc. if I need it..but I'm not sure how long I'll need totally (or almost totally) supervised care from my mom?
Any help and input would be much appreciated :)
Thank you!
Hi, I have had this procedure done myself and your will definitly need someone with you for about 2 weeks to do everything for you. After this time you will start to move about a bit easier but will not be able to drive , lift anything, hoover or any task like this. You will need someone to do shopping for you untill you are feeling up to it. It may be an idea to get someready made meals if there is noone there to cook for you as even after 2 weeks you might not be ready for this. It can take a total of 6-12 weeks for complete recovery but it does depend on the person, everyones healing time varies. You will know you own body and be able to determine it yourself as time goes on.

Goodluck
I am 7 days post lap to remove my left ovary due to a complex cyst. In total, I took three prescription pain pills after and used non-prescription after that. I was surprised at how able I was the day after surgbery. I was able to drive three days after but I would not recommend it. I went shopping for some groceries 5 days after with no trouble. The hardest part is getting up and down from the couch and bed but each day gets better. I got tired easy until about day 5 or 6 and felt uncomfortable with being bloated. Only one of my incisions has bothered me but that gets better everyday too.

Everyone is different with their pain tolerance and recovery. For me, I only really needed assistance until day 4 and was able to manage myself after that.

Prior to my surgery, my doctor suggested I take a week off from work.

I hope my experience helps in your decision.