Ovarian Cysts Community
Water retention & weight gain post unilateral salpingo oophorectomy...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Water retention & weight gain post unilateral salpingo oophorectomy

Hoping for some support and guidance here.  I had a left sided salpingo oophorectomy 5 months ago.  Initially I lost weight but once I started working out again (running and high impact interval training) I gained it back and then some.  Rings are tight on my fingers when I wake up in the morning, breast tenderness and fullness that has become very uncomfortable, horrible headaches premenstrual and lower extremity water retention.  Followed up with my doctor in early January and they suggested a low estrogen birth control pill.  My doctor said that the pill may help with weightloss but I'm concerned it will have the opposite impact and I'll be in worse shape. I feel miserable, completely uncomfortable in my own skin.  Any advice, support, guidance, encouragement on how to obtain weightloss in this state and feel like myself again is greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Firstly you should check out with your Doctor to see if there is any medical condition that is responsible for the water retention and weight gain. This can be related to endocrine and hormonal problems, diabetes, hypertension and renal issues. Also weight gain can be the side effect of the pills. There is no magic formula for weight loss. Weight loss can be achieved by a combination of diet control or dietary modification and exercise. You should consult a dietician to prepare a diet chart according to your food habits, in such a way that nutrition is not compromised. Exercise should be such that is as per your liking so that the chances of sticking to the exercise regime are greater. Exercise should be done daily for 30 to 60 minutes.
Hope this helps.