Ovarian Cysts Community
Weight gain right after laparoscopy to remove dermoid cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I just had laparoscopy done on Tuesday to remove a dermoid cyst measuring 7.5 x 6.2 x 4.9cm. I am still feeling sore and bloated. However, I noticed that my weight has gone up by 2.6kg (5.7lbs) right after the operation. I measured my weight the morning of my operation and the morning after my operation. The weight still isn't going off. Will the weight go off? I haven't had much appetite, and haven't eaten a whole lot. So, it has been strange to see such a large weight gain right after an operation. Anyone had such experience? Thanks :)

It must be the post-op bloat. It should decrease in the next week or two.  Are you having regular with bowel movements?  Some women get badly constipated after this surgery and that could contribute to the weight gain.
Hi!

I sure hope so. I don't feel as bloated as right after the op now that it's 5 days after. However, if I look into the mirror, it still looks bloated. And, my weight hasn't gone down yet. :( It's a little depressing as I took a while to lose the weight. My bowel movements are fairly regular. Hoping that the weight goes down in the next two weeks and that there are no infections!
hi, i ahd the same surgery on dec 30th AND  i too have gained a significant amount of weight. it is fustrating and i cant work out till a month later my jeans will not close i gained bout 2 inches and im very bloated. i have regular bowel movements as well. id like to know what can make the weight go bak to normal faster or by when will it?
I had a laparoscopy surgery to take away the fibroids in my uterus 8 days ago.  I now have two problems (1) significant weight gain and swollen body; and (2) menstruation right after the surgery.  I eat normal and have no problem in defecation every morning.  I asked the doctor about the weight gain and swollen body, he said I have eaten too much -- which is not true.  I also don't understand why I have menstruation after the surgery and I was told that it can last for a month.  Both are very frustrating to me.  Would you please shed some lights on these ... are these normal, anything I can do to get these over?
It is normal for your weight to go up right after surgery.  When you have surgery, the fill your abdomen with air so that they can get a better view of what is going on, plus your body has gone through some trauma so there will be swelling.  Give yourself a couple of months to heal.  

aval, you may have bleeding because when a cyst or fibroid is removed, it can mess with your hormones and take a few months for your body to work stuff out.  Give yourself time to heal.
Thank you very much, fingirl1011.  This forum is great!  I was less worried after joining this forum last week and I'm happy to report today that the bloating disappeared on the 9th day after the surgery.   Thank you & Merry Christmas!!

I have an operation pending this month. I'm having two ovarian cysts removed. I already have a swollen stomach and can't shift the weight.

However, when i read that this will increase after the operation I nearly had a heartattack and started to panic, but fungirl put me at ease.

I still have my pre-op consultation to attend so i will go armed with lots of questions.

Thank you guys.