Ovarian Cysts Community
What does "Enhancement" mean in a CT scan of Abdomen & Pe...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

What does "Enhancement" mean in a CT scan of Abdomen & Pelvis?

Hi my name is Sam T.,
This is my second post because I didn't get much luck on the first so anyone that may help I would appreciate . To make a long story short I am 28 year old female, 1 child. I been having serious pain in what I thought was my upper stomach(not according to my CT results), when I get stomach pain I get discharge clear/whitish, couldn't eat because it made it worse to the point where I dropped to the floor and couldn't stand up straight I have to walk bent over, relief when laying down, I lost a lot of weight and am severely dehydrated. I have a lot of pressure in my belly that feels like something sitting on my bladder and cramps as if I'm on my period.  I went and got a CT scan of my Abdomen and Pelvis, and my doctor said I have a 6mm cyst on my liver and cysts in my ovaries and tubes  and I should have the ovaries and tubes removed. I read the report and it says cannot see clearly enough but there is "Enhancement" in POSSIBLY my Ovaries, right larger then left. There small amount of pelvic fluid, and could be other etiologies( disease?)  My questions are, WHAT IS ENHANCEMENT, can it mean a tumor?  How do they know its cysts but the report says just a enhancement but cant see well enough or even where it is, how would you know there more then one? How do I know the liver cyst isn't a tumor that spread from my ovaries? And is it true a CT cant really tell if its a cyst or tumor? If cysts are normal for woman in there ovaries then why does he want to take out my ovaries and tubes? He said its the same as if I have a etopic pregnancy, what am I missing? Is this a bad thing or maybe normal? Sorry for so many questions but this is bugging me. Thank You so much for your support.
Cysts in the tubes can probably rupture the tubes, much like an etopic pregnancy.

They are probably more concerned about the problems they cause to existing organs than about anything that is cancer.  Benign cysts can cause a world of trouble, too.

Enhancement might just mean that it looks enlarged.

Yes, they cannot tell cancer by imaging tests alone, but they can have high suspicions if something looks irregular or solid and I do not see mention of either word.
Hi Samie,
Enhancement means that the cells of the ovaries are showing some abnormal cells. I suspect and quite rightly that your Dr wants to remove your ovaries and tubes to prevent problems in the future just in case the ovary is cancerous. I am sure he will take blood for tumour markers to further aid his diagnosis. For ovarian cancer he will be asking for a blood test called CA125. This is not always conclusive proof for all women though.
Cysts show up as hollow or fluid filled structures which is very different to solid masses on CT.
It is a very personal choice on how to manage your issues. Having had ovarian cancer with metastic spread into the lymph nodes and abdomen. If this is something you can catch early if it is in fact ca, your quality and length of life may well be normal. You already have one child. Some ovarian cancers are within the ovaries and are very slow growing, allowing still a normal reproductive life. Some are epithelial on the outside of the ovary and are much faster growing. You need tumour marker blood test monitoring as the situation can change in a 2 month period form being seemingly normal to stage 3c ovarian cancer. If in doubt, check it out.